1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fast n' Furious 4

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by [I.R.A]_FBi, Apr 1, 2009.

1. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I lost all respect for these movies after the first 10min of the first one. However I learned a new level of hatred when I saw this.........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I mean a little part of me died that day. I know its a Nissan RB26DETT in there but for F&#K sake its a 67 Mustang! Why on earth would you ruin such a magical car like that? I mean look at the exhaust. My wife was even WTF on that car.

2. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Sorry the 1.6 is what I meant on the crank.

Longer rod does allow more dwell time, however at high pressures and RPM you also have more recriprocal mass.The idea and my measurements were to get a 10.5:1 piston set, have the rods cryo treated and the pistons capped and the skirts impregnated with a new teflon substrate. Bore the block, and have the block deck dropped 1mm the head dropped.75mm and this would give me with a thin head gasket a very close cooling zone around the edges to help with detonation.

Water injection and no intercooling to keep it looking stock, a recirculating blowoff valve, abd a custom stainless rotor turbo. Everyone tells you the stock rods are good for 14PSI, but others have had them up to low 20's and been fine, as long as you control the detonation pressure spike. I would rather lose a bit of power and torque on the low end and gain another 1K RPM with decent torque on the top end just due to the transmission ratios, and RPM cruising at 80 and the fun factor in the mountains.

So a base engine kit is $679 for a custom set of pistons. $30 per hole to bore and finish, $175 for a block flush and check, $100-150 for the block deck milling and or more if the block needs line bored. $15 per valve for replace and shim. The stock head can be ported to a degree, and I don't want to swap heads, the other option is a guy is making dual path intakes for these, and or just huge ported ones and you have to hand grind it to fit. A plain turbo T2 manifold and downpipe, Garrett or a custom built AR turbo I have, if i use the custom AR I want to send it in to be clipped and rebalanced with the new style seals put in. 2.5" single exhaust, with no rice fart can muffler, but a decent flowing one. I might add a blanketed catalytic converter to keep it compliant.

Then a new stage 2 Greddy clutch and PPA. I might spring for a aluminum flywheel if I have the money.

Next up will be a set of better rims, like gramlights with Perilli rubbers. April was talked into a set of American Racing mags that weigh at least 25Lbs bare each, on this light of a car they don't flex and give a terrible ride.

I have already moved it to composite ceramic brakes and drilled rotors. I can pick up a set of rear disks to replace the shitty drums for $200 from a junkyard and have a friend put the main parts on. then just make a line to attach and shorten the attachment point for the ebrake.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    or you could build a 2 liter 20 Valve

4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Yeah Mailman that is sad, I don't even like Mustangs, but seriously I like to keep Motor swaps within the same branch of vehicles. Especially in something that old, there is no point in putting a freaking Skyline motor in one, the cost of getting that motor vs building a 302 is crazy, the parts for a 5.0 are so damn cheap.

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the RB26 is another one of my all time favorite engines. But putting one in a classic mustang is a complete disgrace. Sadly, they actually built that car. :shadedshu

Not to mention, the V8 would be better for drifting anyway.

I still say throw a GE head on it. They flow so much better than an FE head. And a 3" exhaust will improve turbo response, btw. Tho 2.5" would be OK.

6. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, low end grunt and instant torque, something like a 302 with a whipple on it would be a much better choice. Though I'm really doubting that car is for drifting, stance is too high. Either way, just wrong what they did.

7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    That's what they set it up for, drifting in the movie. Complete disgrace, imo.

8. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Thats from the new FF.... eh figures, thats about as cool as the GN having perfect timing going under a semi flipping through the air (that flips perfectly around cause that much weight would keep perfectly straight and bounce off the ground).

9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    No, it's from Tokyo Drift, the movie before this latest one.

10. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    ah I never seen that one, been meaning to watch it, but I swore I seen a riced out vette, I just dont know if I can bare to see that.

11. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Pure heart rant

I think that these movies were some of the worst things to happen to the car community. The 2nd movie was really funny though and I like it for that, but of course the tech and story line were.....well anyway the 3rd movie was the best of them all but it made me more pissed off than any of them. Movie wise it was cool, and I KNOW that they only make these movies for pure profit potential.....but it just seemed so sad that every single time something comes around the corner they have to make a movie and make it look ridiculous and get huge stacks of money from it.

I'm not a "drifter" but I respect it (the real thing not the make pretend kids waiting to die on a 2 way open road) and enjoy the show sometimes. However it kinda made me sick to my stomach how fast they threw together that last movie as soon as they saw 10 people show up to watch someone drive sideways. Effin vultures.....

Once the first movie came out things go so bad that I was almost embarrased to say I enjoyed modifying my cars.......and I keep all of my things looking nearly 100% stock! For the first time in my life I'd almost lost all enjoyment of doing what I love just because of them. I pretty much let things sit around for a few months after that until I got my head back right, but it was very sad.

It was like I was watching the life that I love become the newest 'starter jacket', hannah montana doll, pair of jordan shoes, etc. etc. etc. *sigh* :banghead:
    ==========================================================

Anyway I do have a weakness however that I can't control....and that is I still have to go watch the movies even if it's a matinee (sp?) show. I can't NOT go because they know my weakness.......cars! Even if they're not done right, even if I know it won't be good, I MUST GO SEE CARS DRIVE! Funny part is that I've never once painted a car some crazy eye burning color, never bought a 5 inch exhaust pipe, never lowered a car to within mm's of the ground, never put some 14353051937 watt stereo in a car. My whole approach is completely different from that. I'm more along the lines of making a car what I believe it would be if it was a special edition type of thing. Not the kind like you see now that's useless (like a Saleen S7 TwinTurbo.....seriously wtf is that?), but the kind where you really go over the car with a fine toothed comb and do what you can to make it better while still being the same car more like the original Honda Integra R. I like a car to almost look stock with just a hint of difference and everything to have a purpose.

For the record I'm a Rotary engine fiend (whether it's in an RX-1 up to an RX-8 doesn't matter), I prefer non turbo/super charged engines, I prefer a world beating suspension over a super power engine, a daily driver over a trackday only special, rear drive over anything else, and.......to drive right by the prosti-tot than try to hit on her because she "likes" my car. :laugh:

Kei

(btw, those effin movies don't show the lifestyle they're supposedly trying to show even remotely close to what they really are)

12. HolyCow02

HolyCow02 New Member

Thanks Received:

I just died a little inside. That jackass needs to be shot. A Lot. :banghead::shadedshu

13. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    I'm not in the Skyline camp, but that engine is very stout and makes a pretty good sound even with those two fast spinning mufflers under the hood feeding the one out the back. :p

As for that motor swap I laughed when I saw it because I knew what people in America were going to say when they saw it.

THAT SAID.......I agree that it's a swap that should just not be done. There are certain cars that you just CAN'T change things like this because it's no longer THAT car anymore. This swap to me is the same as someone taking a Chevy engine LS1 and putting it in an RX-7. It's a complete disgrace because it's no longer an RX-7 when you do something like that. The name of the freakin car is Rotary Xperiment-7 so what's left w/o the rotary.

Some cars have engine swaps....then there are other cars that have their SOULS ripped out. :mad:

Kei

14. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    :D I was waiting for that one to come up. I knew a guy who bought his "dream car" TT RX7 and then had all sorts of engine problems every week. All just little crap, I think, but constant little crap. I run into him a year later, he says he put an LS1 into it and now it's finally reliable.

I mainly like seeing Porsche swaps. Plenty of people put Chevy engines in them, of course. Knew a guy with a Grand National engine in a 944. One guy put a DSM/EVO turbo 2.0 into his 911. That finally made it fast. ;)

15. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Right, but then he got a girl, and turned to computers - the real hardcore.

Putting all his home-made (involuntary) explosions aside, Wile's life is much more lively.

Come on dude, I know the truth. You don't want to watch it, because they destroy a sexy Grand National.

Well, that's my reason anyways.

There is one constant feeling some people get when watching these films about riced-cars. And that's when the muscle car(s) roll up, everyone's like 'ooooooh shiiiiiit'

16. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:

Haahah enough said. :roll:

TheMailMan78-I lost all respect for these movies after the first 10min of the first one. However I learned a new level of hatred when I saw this.........

I just threw up a little

17. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Haha, I think that the RX-7 owner is a very rare breed of car owner. Most of the serious owners are engineers or VERY into engineering which drew them to the car anyway. We know how to make the car work and know what it takes to make it "reliable" which is different from a piston engined car. We know that it's a handbuilt engine which should already let you know that you'd better take some care with this thing because it's obviously different.

Then you have the other RX-7 "lovers" or should I say the ones that "love" (very loose use of the word) the 3rd generation car because it looks sexy and goes fast. They love that their ugly @ss can get a woman to look at them, people watch you when you drive by revving like a dumbass, you can say your car is expensive and other penis equalizing/enlarging statements.

Those are the ones that I really utterly extremely absolutely religiously can't f%#&* stand more than almost anyone else on this planet. Take a car that there is less than 80k ever made over a roughly 10 year period, ruin it with a bunch of crap and a 400 lb stereo, turn up the boost without any actual knowledge of how the engine works, lower it to the ground and put 19 inch wheels on it, find the cheapest piece of trash mis-match body kit you can put on it, then profess to the world how much you love R7-X's because they've only got 2 pistons and spin backwards.

Okay sorry for the side rant, I like some engine swaps however that is the worst one of them all. I think it's cool sometimes to take an engine from the SAME manufacturer and swap it into one of their other models to get something different. But most of the other cross manu-swaps don't really tickle my tummy.

I think some of my favorite swaps to undergo would be...

1. MX-5 with an N/A rotary (pre RX-8 motor unless it's the 4 port)

2. FC/FD RX-7 with a 3 rotor engine (no turbos, small port work, sweet carb ---> otherwordly voice) :respect:

3. Porsche 944 with a Boxter 2.7L (delicious sound and it'd probably work well too)

4. Honda EG Civic with an early Integra R engine (stock engine is fine)

I tried to think of something on the Ford or Chevy lines but really the cars with the good engines already got what they needed, and the others with the not so awesome engines......well couldn't handle the good engines. :p

Did that guy really pull out the Flat-6 and put in a 2.0L four? Was it a drag car because I can't imagine doing all the work to get the car back to it's great balance again? That's definitely a wild swap right there! :eek:

Kei

18. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    Fixed, come now no need for name calling :p

Btw.....you're completely right about the oh shit thought! When something like that shows up you already know (a real car lover anyway) that it can't corner for shit so you know DAMN WELL it's got back up.......a nuclear weapons grade demon under the hood that when revved will cause bystanders to pass out and die from air depravation! :toast:

You might not be able to corner worth a damn, but I know if I look out and see the road is straight for the next 400m.......shut the damn car off and show respect to the ground pounder. :respect:

Kei

19. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    I also want to say that while I'm not an American Iron junkie I have all the respect in the world for them because they helped build this world in the first place and they're really cool too.

I like the 60's and early 70's cars of that type like the Chevelle, Mustang, and Camaro. They all had that certain something about them that just made them so cool. I really like that it seems like US makers are trying to go back to their roots with the cars of today even if they aren't exactly like the old cars. I understand that's obviously impossible in this day and age, but I REALLY like the new Charger, Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro cars.

Really if I had the money sitting around I'd actually buy a new Challenger because it's so damn cool to me even though it's H-U-G-E which I hate about cars. I like them stock a lot, but I recently saw one of the John Hennessey (sp?) editions and I almost wet myself from it's sheer jet black awesomeness. :twitch:

Kei

20. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    Isn't that basically what happened even IN the movies, though? In the first one, but also in the other one with the Challenger and Camaro race. They pull up... "Ohhhhh, shiiiiiii...." :)

The 4g63 911 was done a long time ago, which makes it even more impressive. I think it was around the time back when an 11-second street DSM was still somewhat rare. The import aftermarket was still a baby back then. Which, I guess, Fast and the Furious deserves some credit for helping to popularize imports, and, along with big wings and 5" exhaust tips, also brought more turbos and engine management systems and things that weren't available before.

First link is a video. Second link is a quick write-up. It does 11.4@122 in the video. Daily-driver, I guess.

EDIT: Just noticed the other video in the first link. It's a full run, 11.0@125.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=8547055

http://turbohightechperformance.automotive.com/65941/turp-0312-diamond-star-4g63-powered-porsche-911/index.html

And now I'll throw this one in too just for fun:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    Kei says thanks.
  21. 3dsage

3dsage New Member

Thanks Received:
    You ever notice in the first one how the green eclipse had a 420A in it? instead of a 4g63. And ja Rule and everybody were druling over the engine, LOL.

Good movie though, torreto's sister is sexy :)

22. Kei

Kei

Thanks Received:
    His sister does make me think deep thoughts....but I REALLY wondered where they got that 7 speed for the same green eclipse from the first movie?

That and the engine in Dom's RX-7 from the first movie spun backwards......hard to make it run that way haha. Okay add to the fact that the actual car used in the movie was an automatic in real life made it even funnier. :laugh:

Kei

23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    hahaha. No I quit because A.)I got busted in a street racing sting operation. Lost thousands of dollars to fines, and lost my license for 5 years. And B.)It was starting to cost too much. (And that's before the bust. lol)

With high-strung forced induction cars, the slightest hiccup can equate to a blown engine. And my tactics with vehicles and computers are very similar. Brute force. lol. Shit is just gonna break sometimes when you beat on them ruthlessly. I have found it much cheaper to beat on my computer parts ruthlessly as opposed to my modified cars. lol.

Although, the bug is starting to bite pretty hard again. I've been "clean" for 4 years now, and I really miss it. lol. I keep eyeing up the Turbonetic kit for my SpecV and a B18C for my 97 Civic daily driver. lol.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  24. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Mm..quite a situation you're in there..rock and a hard place I'd say.

I'm a bit more restricted. The roads over here are well...quite narrow...and racing is something left only to a track.

Thus, while I'm still on the hunt to import/rebuild an American vehicle, I am considering slipping to the darkside and firing up a Supra, Skyline, old Nissan Z, or possibly a 3000GT with the turbos removed.

Then again, maybe I should just get a 1987 Fiero and slap a small block 350 in the back? It's doable..I'd have to the cut the wheel walls, but it's doable.

Man that thing would zip.

25. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't race on the street anymore anyway. I've learned my lesson. lol.

As far as the Fiero, that's a very common swap. Not really any cutting involved. Just some minor trimming, depending on the mount kit used. Another fairly common swap is the supercharged 3.8L V6.