1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fastest 2TB HDD For OS & Storage & Raid

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by happy, Apr 22, 2012.

1. baggpipes

baggpipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know i get it with RAID 0 your twice as likely to have them fail. But how often does this happen? Not all your drives have to be raid RAID 0. Save a drive in your computer as a normal drive to store your pictures and stuff to save.

2. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:

RAID 1 is not a perfect 100% Backup.

1- if your OS get corrupt, because of a caching error that has been replicated on the 2nd drive, it's failling..

2- if your PSU blow, and take down the 2 HDD, it fails.

That is the reason why I have RAID 1 + external BU, I would just need my home to burn to loose everything (and I am about to get a fresh copy of DATA every month, and leaving it at my parent's home.)

RAID 5 = parity: 3x 2TB will result has 4TB, but formated will be 3,63TB.

But like any raid, it is not 100% safe ;) but raid 5 has a good redundancy, you need 2 HDD down to have the RAID down.

no... My black 1Tb died like this, unable to resync, wouldn't pass Short test, like that, the day before it was working perfectly.. you can have Electrical problem in the drive, which can cause a failure very fast.

Saving important documents on a raid 0, you must have a backup..

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    My .02 to you happy, setup a matrix. 2 raid arrays with 3x 2TB drives. 1TB ea on a raid 0 and a raid 5. Setup important files to the raid 5 and your OS. Gives you a total effective 5TB of storage.

EDIT:

BUT only do it if you have a dedicated card or are planning on staying with your current board for a while. While you may lose the raid 0 if one drive fails, the raid 5 will provide parity to those files on it.

4. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    a raid is not a backup... if you screw around and get a virus, corrupt update install, etc... it wont matter cause the issue would have been copied over to the other drive.

An external backup is much much safer.

I personally have two SSD's in a striped raid, and a pair of momentus xt's in a striped raid as well.
    I back up to two different 1 TB F3's.

I back up weekly, that way if my system gets hosed, I only potentionally loose a weeks worth of data.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  5. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    nothing wrong with RAID 0 just not meant for back up, its more about speed

you should be more concern about the right drives (ie: RE4 drives) if you really wanna do RAID

RAID fails mainly due to not right drives or controller

like other states, use another drive for back up (usb2/3 external hard drive to turn on/off as needed)

i have a server backing up everything and i have external back up as well, might be overkill for you

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    yogurt_21 and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  6. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    I always find it funny that people feel the need to post this.

raid is a hardware config, backup is a process.

anyone whose lookedup, heard of, or encountered either of the two, knows this.

1. a virus could wipe your backup regardless of raid, it's not a viable counter argument to raid.

2. data corruption again isn't a viable counter argument against raid because again, your backup with or without raid is corruptible. In both cases your refering to your backup as if it were a primary data storage system. That doesn't make any sense. If your primary data is virus'd or corrupted and you don't notice before your backup software/procedure starts, it won't matter what hardware you've configured for backup.

3. I already posted that I have an external backup, although I think the idea of having it off isn't a sound backup process, drives fail whether or not they are on and a connected and powered up drive will give you warnings and a chance to save your data before it fails, a drive powered-off does not. Believe me, I've done this in a full scale powered off backup system where my boss had to learn the hard way after losing 10 drives with no other backup for that data in a 500+ hotswap + cradle system. Sure low percentage, but lost data is lost data. And on a live active backup system we have had zero data loss.

7. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    So your saying I could have two or more different types of array by using my mobo raid? I do not wish to buy a RAID card because after I plug in my 7950, there will be practially no more room for any other pci-e cards. That said, I currently have the following drives:
    (x2) 2TB WD20EARX
    (x1) 2TB Samusung F4
    (x1) 120GB Patriot Pyro SE

So you noted that I could get a 5TB total of storage. I'm trying to find the most reliable and kind of safe way to just store my files and be able to get it back if anything happens. RAID 5 seems the best way? That means I would get a total of 3GB of usable space? Let's say one drive fails, do I simply take that failed drive out of my case and add it into the same sata connection and it will automatically write the 1s and 0s to that new drive? How do you know which drive fails or not? You were saying something about matrix. I can only fit 3 HDDs and one small SSD on the bottom of the tray so I think I won't be able to do matrix.
    I'm new to RAIDing so sorry if my questions sound dumb.

Thanks

8. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    imo your missing the point, drives will fail no matter what best you could do is minimize it

WD black are great no doubt but they are not meant for RAID being lack of TLER, i know some have use them for raid w/o issues and they use it in RAID 0 for speed not reliabilty but if your main concern is about reliability why not buy HD meant for RAID

its like ppl using WD green as main OS Hd or use it for RAID and complaint later on thats its dying

EDit: RE4 basically a WD black but TLER enabled if your concern is about speed also thers RE4-GP which is WD green, again with TLER

9. techguy31

Thanks Received:
    Speed on the greens are probably not an issue.

10. ERazer

ERazer

Thanks Received:
    what do you usually back up anyway? documents, pic, mp3, prons? if its something doesnt need to access 24/7 then better off having it on external drive

11. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Replace the failed drive and criss your fingers the raid 5 will rebuid but you would have to manually rebuild the raid 0

12. happy New Member

Thanks Received:
    So your saying that it is not certain that even if I replace the dead drive with a new one that it will for sure rebuild the RAID 5? I'm probaly not going to RAID 0 because I just need to backup photos and be able to retrieve them back if a drive dies. So a RAID 5 will automatically rebuild the data lost without having me to manually do anything except add it back to the same sata connection?

13. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Yup. Why I mentioned a dedicated card because not too sure if AMD south bridge is reliant on driver software to rebuild. Ive not had a raid array fail on me.

14. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Serius bizness this raid must be. Twenty posts pointg out the obvious flaws and benefits, along with odeas that dont pertain at all.

yogurt_21, Jizzler and JrRacinFan say thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU