1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fastest AM3 CPU for AM2NF3-VSTA

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jayzilla, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayzilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi people. First. Happy New Year to yo'll.

My title probably said it all. That is best AGP board I can find around. I already have some kick ass DDR2 memories and some highest-end AGP cards like the Gainward 7800GS+, XFX 7900-7950 and the GECUBE HX195XTGA3-D3 which is I don't have it yet. My goal is to max out the AGP cards I have. Please don't tell me to upgrade. I'm a AGP Nerd.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=AM2NF3-VSTA
    That is the board I have.

Here is the CPU support list.
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=AM2NF3-VSTA

The top CPU of that list is AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5GHz. My questions are will this board support a 6-core CPU? They are AM3 socket. If so what is the fastest stock-speed AM3 CPU I could buy?

2. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Umm AM3 and AGP don't mix.

Honestly I wouldnt use anything higher then a 775 p4 chip or 939 athlon x2 with agp.

But if you insist the highest chip the motherboard with support is the 970. According to the support list it will not do x6 chips, which would be a waste anyways.

3. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    No talking you out of AGP...ok wont try :)

No x6 support sorry .

I wouldnt go for the AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5GHz, I would go for the AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz and overclock just a touch for 970 speeds.

You are saving yourself £30+ (well that would be the saving in UK.
    You have the hardware to OC so whats the point in spending the extra money for the 970.
    Though your question is "whats the fastest stock speed" and that is the AMD Phenom II X4 970

4. Jayzilla New Member

Thanks Received:

I bet that CPU Support List hasn't been updated for years. What is the chance of this board will run with a 6core CPU? Maybe nobody even bother to try and waste time on the old stuff. For exp: If this board support Phenom II X4 970. It should support 975 and 980. They are in Deneb family and AM3 socket, but these two Quadies doesn't in that list and they are came out in 2011. This board is from 5-6 years ago.

Most of my hardware are discontinued long time ago. They are pretty hard to replace because once they are gone. They are gone FOREVER. So I never OC them. I just like to collect them.

I just found out the Phenom II X4 980 3.7GHz is the fastest AM3 quady :)

5. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    What do u mean not updated in years? The last BIOS updates are to increase CPU compatibility. Very small chance that the board may run an x6 thuban or newer x4. I wouldn't bother though waste of time and money. Those ago cards would bottleneck an AM3 sempron. Don't spend another penny on your current rig. Keep it as a backup and save for a new PC.

Edit: People on hardforum are saying the exact same thing:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662209

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    They do run newer x4's. Says nothing about x6's though. But yeah, I agree that for serious use anything AGP based is not enough.

7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Since it appears you are just getting it to play with some old cards I can respect that. NF3 is an aging platform to play with....Good luck with drivers I had to use some old beta vista 64 bit drivers to install windows 7 on my NF3 s754 board. It supports the Phenom X4 970 you may as well go with it. It probably will never support thuban if I had to guess I would say the board is lacking some bits and bobs for it to work. It also shows no 960T support so its not just an X6 thing.

I can't say anything for keeping old shit alive I still have more fun clocking my s754 stuff than more modern stuff. It has gotten to easy :shadedshu

8. Jayzilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    The CPU support list isn't complete so I'm guessing they don't bother to update the info. As I mentioned earlier they don't have 750 and 780 in that list.

From the replies from you guys I think I have to give up buying a 6-core CPU, but I'll give it a try if I ever have a chance.

A penny? I think I spend more than 1K on AGP and DDR memories in this year. I resell them if I need to. You might think "this guy is nuts". What do you think of some one driving a shinny 65 Mustang? :) I just like to keep and collect old stuff.

That guy a HF is me. These are the only forums I stick around.

No shit. I have that board too and a Lanparty NF4 with a Opteron 185 on it. For AGP and DDR parts I only run Windows XP 64 bit so I don't have much to worry about drivers. I have an i7 for games and a laptop to use daily basic.

9. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

Im sorry but that comment just made my day. Thats a completely irrelevant comparison. A 65 mustang in good shape (shinny) increases in value compared to its original investment, for the most part agp does not. A 65 mustang can go the speed limit on the road, an agp card cannot keep up at the same speeds as current cars. A 65 mustang is street legal, an agp card is not allowed in current pci-e slots. See where I am going with this... :p

Of course its not complete, but the latest bios update was to provide cpu codes to run the 970 x4. Nothing newer. They havent released a more update to date bios update to run the x4 975 or x4 980. Now that doesnt mean they won't work but it wont officially be supported by the bios, may not run at correct speeds, or just may not work at all. That being said might just work 100% fine but I wouldnt bet on it.

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking at the power delivery components of your motherboard, there's no way it's going to handle a 6 core CPU. The PII 970 is a newer chip, so the CPU list has been updated recently.

11. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i think a sempron is max those cards out.

12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038200474

check that for your answer.

And Save your Money For a System Upgrade, not just the CPU but a motherboard, Video card, Ram, Powersupply.

My Bros Machine cost about 600 bux (Built it of course) and without any software tweaks, boots and shuts down in a minute and Plays all HD content just fine (he dont game so im unaware of the 6770s capabilities)

To Top it off you would critically hamper the CPUs Capability because of the HT bus being slower and plus the Ram being under spec. If you want an X6 its time to upgrade it all. Just keep the other machine as a spare.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  13. Jayzilla New Member

Thanks Received:
    The last CPU update code for this board is 3/5/2010, and the Phenom II X4 970 was released on 9/21/2010. So the last code wasn't designed for 970 specifically but it does support the chip. Why excludes the 975 and 980? They are in the same Deneb family. That is my reason to believed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a tool/code that able to tell if a website has been updated. But I forgot what is it.

I got a much better score with my Athlon 6400+ AM2. I made a jump from a Sempron last week.

Please understand I do this for hobby. I have a gaming machine and a home server.

14. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    First, remember this:

*If you use AM3 / AM2+ CPU on AM2 chipset motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s), but the CPU frequency will not be influenced.

*If you adopt AMD Phenom™ X4 AM2+ CPU on this motherboard with AGP VGA cards, please click here for AGP VGA Card support list.

Your HT will drop to the 1.0 instead 3. And there a re a list of graphics card that are supported here: http://www.asrock.com/support/note/AM2NF3-VSTA.html#Phenom

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    you should worry more about getting a motherboard instead IMO.

16. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    That is the same with all of these style boards it was designed before HT3 came out and thats why it downgrades. The video cards are known support it is the style AGP slot it has that limits support most modern cards work without issues.

Why? AGP boards are rare and hard to find with that amount of support

17. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    The Highest your gonna get is the X4, 975/980 will not be recognized properly. X6 will not work with it.

18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    That is assuming the FID/VID settings go correct. they might ned up being a 800mhz chip because it cannot set the FID.

19. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    compatibility on the site states 970 BE and thats the highest it can go without requiring another Bios Update

20. Jayzilla New Member

Thanks Received:

Dudes. I have been right alone in the CPU support list. IT DOES SUPPORTS Phenom II X4 980! I have it in my system right fkin now. It changed my point of view in the hardware forever. I also tried the Phenom II X6 1045T without succeed. Sadly some of the Futuremark benchmark scores are lower than my Duo-core.

Interestingly I found a thread that some one is running a X6 on this board.

http://futuremark.yougamers.com/for...dom-motherboard-of-the-day-Asrock-AM2NF3-VSTA

Sorry that takes me a while to collect all the parts. Now I have the fastest Phenom and the fastest AGP. I just need a some water cooling stuff and lots of modding part to start a work log. I promise this would be the coolest AGP system ever if not the fastest.

[​IMG]

That list doesn't have the HD3850. So I'm fine. And I tried them all too.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
    Frick says thanks.
  21. Jayzilla New Member

Thanks Received:
  22. master_rigbuilder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Jayzilla How are you and you AM2NF3-VSTA ?!

23. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Old thread, but are you the same jayzilla that hangs on GN? If yes, this is completely retarded. You have money.

24. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    AGP IS Dead GIVE IT UP AGP is not even old enough to be worth a 'retro' build

25. master_rigbuilder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Frick

I'm master_rigbuilder don't mistake me for someone else mind your own!

OneMoar

This is what I want to build AGP retro or modern if I want the system unit I will build it mind your own!

Frick says thanks.