1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Faulty Case Build

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Elmo, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    Well this is a disappointing build for me of all the rigs i have built .
    First lets start off with the specs.
    i5 3470
    1 GB 550 ti
    8 GB ram
    650w Psu
    z77 board
    Corsair force 3 120gb ssd
    1 TB wd blue
    1 TB wd green
    24x dvdrw
    Corsair 400r

Please read below to know why its a shit build in my book.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So the explanation why im alittle unhappy with this build is because i had to rma on the same day i built it .. So i built the whole rig happily made sure everything was connected then i proceed to turn on the power.. And... bam nothing happens. So i start to debug it my way which is to test the psu first, so i did and it was fine then i removed everything including the gpu still same , after an hour of testing i thought its most probably the motherboard... So i brought it back to the shop again.. an hour + drive and fuck as you know it , its a fucking start button that doesnt work.. not to mention i "thought" corsair was all about quality and they qc their products well , looks like i was wrong turns out buying a more expensive case is detrimental . Im dissapointed as hell as this is my first corsair case and a fucken button doesnt work.
    The case is nice indeed but what are the odds of buying one with a spoilt button? this is my first time EVER coming across this i have never seen anyone post or comment about having a case with a spoilt button.. Seriously.. But besides that it was a good build. Had to wait 1.3 hours just for the retarded "so called " technicians to troubleshoot it . I think its a plain joke i started my day at 11am. And finished everything at 9pm LOL. longest build ever in my life
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    No offense, but this "retarded" tech found the problem when you couldn't. That doesn't reflect the skills of the tech, my friend... It sounds like your troubleshooting skills need to be improved, not his. Thanks for the rant. :slap:
  3. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    Like i said ive never heard of such a thing as a spoilt On/off switch no its not a rant i just feel its silly that the first case i buy from corsair is faulty . Secondly i could not troubleshoot if it was the motherboard i had only guessed it was the motherboard or the case . I was leaning more towards the motherboard but then again it was a tough guess because if i were to plug the psu in to and everything to the case if i did press the (-) button on the psu the case will light up for a few seconds . So i never thought it was the case issue i was leaning towards the fact that it might be the On/off header on the motherboard. But thanks for your negative comment. I take criticism like a male.
  4. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    My NZXT Tempest 410 Elite came with a broken solder joint in the power button but about 5 minute solder job fixed it up. I did point it out to the NZXT rep but it was really no harm no faul.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    sucks for you. Corsair does usually have pretty good stuff, but a bad start button is a bit ridiculous. I don't think I would have caught that early on either.
  6. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    Yeh i like corsair products 70% of the ssds i have are corsair .. But i mean i have never heard of such a thing.. before i did inspect the cables they were fine but what are the odds.. its my first time personally and first time hearing about a spoilt switch. Next time ill just "jump" start the motherboard pin to make sure .
  7. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I don't think your choice of a thread title reflects the quality or intended direction of this site, but neither does your OP.
    INSTG8R and qubit say thanks.
  8. Elmo

Elmo

Thanks Received:
    no surprise there i havnt slept in 2 days. Ill adjust accordingly.
  9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yup, it's a pretty rare fault and it sucks for you that you had to cop it.

Still though, I'm surprised that you didn't find the fault and the "retarded" tech did. I always test a new mobo/build with the very minimum of components to make it go. Once the components are attached, I then touch the power terminals on it with a screwdriver to test it. Had you done that, you'd have spotted the faulty power switch straight away. Never mind, one learns and you won't make the same mistake again. :)

I see that you've tried to change the thread title. Unfortunately we can't do it, only mods can. I suggest that you hit the report button on your first post and make a polite request for a mod to do this for you. I've done this many times myself.

Anyway, get some sleep dude, things just won't look as bad after a good bit of shut eye. :toast:
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    Frick and Elmo say thanks.
  10. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Nooooo qubit makes sense. :(

(i agree with him)
    qubit says thanks.
  11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! :cry:
  12. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    The first thing you should have done if it did not power up after building would be either short the power pins or setup on test bench.
    Aquinus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Exactly, the quality of switches in any case are crap. I learned my lesson on power switches about 15 years ago when I replaced a PSU twice
  14. qubit

Thanks Received:
    The switch on one of my old cases is a bit iffy. It's got the maddening property of working if I deliberately press it and watch for the PC to shut down, but if I just press it without much attention and come back to the PC later, the damned thing is still on!
  15. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    I always first build the system out of the case and do the os install just to test everything and make sure all is well before spending the time to install in the case.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    A flat head screwdriver and the motherboard box are your best friends when it comes to bench testing.

I don't need no stinkin case. :) :) :)
  17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Pics aren't working for me...
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Me either.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Weird... For me there were pics showing but upon visiting the thread again no pics.
    Bottom line, at least you sorted the issue.
  20. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I actually find faulty power buttons quite a common fault considering how cheap they are all it takes is say a above average bumpy ride when it's on the way to you and something can come loose.