1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Faulty i5 3570K ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jojo24, Jan 9, 2013.

1. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all! ( im new here! )

P.S. I'm hoping for smart/experianced techy people to approve it or otherwise ;)

Important - ALL parts are double tested so they work 100%! ( except for i5 3570K which seems to be the problem no matter mobo, ram or whatsoever ).

I wonder if my i5 3570K is faulty?

System is: Gigabyte H77-DS3 / Kingston RAM 4GB x 2 / i5 3570K / Chieftec PSU 650W

It all worked fine for 5 month, afterwards Windows 7 64bit crashed to BSoD - after restart it crashed again after 15min... later it didn't boot past Windows 7 splash screen (froze and BSoD ). Same with installing any Windows ( even with no HDD/SSD attached, only DVD rom or USB key with Windows 7 install ) - can't get past Windows logo splash screen - basicly I can't even start the installation. Also, Safe Mode failed to load too.

I tried different parts like ASUS P8Z77-V LK / different Kingston RAM... no changes.

Then I tried different CPU ( Celeron G550, cheapo LGA 1155 CPU ) and it all works with no problems!

SO, the question is - is my i5 3570K faulty or there is something specific about UEFI bios? Must consider that it worked just fine for 5 month.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    what BSOD did u get?

3. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you swap out everything else to rule it out? GPU, PSU, case (if you used one)?

If so, go for warranty, looks like you need it. I think that BSOD is CPU / oc, or memory normally.

edit: it's a CPU! It's either 100% functional at stock speeds or it's just broken. Get a warranty replacement - you shouldn't have any trouble.

5. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes. Only the CPU makes a difference ( no matter mobo, ram or whatever ).

I presume it is kind of half-faulty or something?

I just wanted to make sure before returning it.

6. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    did you disable page file?

0x0000009c is caused by faulty speedstep settings(clock change), software, overclocking, and missing pagefile, from my experience.

7. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    After googling stop code 9c, some people resolved theirs with a PSU change.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure; I didn't change any parameters for CPU, RAM or whatsoever. No overclock.

I mean, I just need to change CPU and it works!

Again, it worked for 5 months... now does it matter weather Page File is disabled or not? I mean it can't work for 5 months and suddenly pooof, now can it?

9. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not the case. That PSU works fine with two other PCs, plus it works fine with other CPU I mentioned.

10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    try reseating the CPU properly (take it out of the motherboard)- use thermal compound on the heatsink and attach that properly. see what it does...

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
    (Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
    This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Error Message: STOP: 0x0000009C... {KB 329284} Win XP
    Understanding and Troubleshooting the Stop 0x0000009C Screen {KB 162363} Win NT4, Win 2000

11. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    If the page file is disabled, and for some reason an app needs it, then yes, it can suddenly "go poof", if nothing else needed the pagefile.

As to Brandon's suggestion about PSU, he is very right, and this links into my own post about speed-step issues. Apparantly, PSU with noise -12V can cause issues when power saving features are enabled.

PSUs do wear with time, so this is a very likely scenario, and more likely than the CPU being the culprit, especially since other CPUs you tested, by the ones listed, are likely to draw less power and not have as big of clock changes.

I'm waiting now, right now, for a new PSU for my test rig FOR THIS EXACT problem, noisy -12V. The PSU appears to work fine on many boards except a few select ones.

Not to say it IS the PSU, but I would not be so quick to eliminate it as a potential cause.

Could even be the board's VRM, too...for me, anything with capacitors is a potential cause for issues that crop up like this. :p

12. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Temps are fine for all 4 cores, I can see that in UEFI bios. I have quite experiance with building my own custom PCs, basic things are all done correctly, I'm sure of it ;)

13. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I will check the Page File, but I'm almost sure it wont change a thing.

As for PSU, it is rather new; it does handle ASUS GTX 670 2GB with no problems.

BUT I must say the problems started while playing Assassins Creed 3 hmm...

ALSO, the W difference between Celeron G550 (65W) and i5 3570K (77W) is very little.

14. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    What make is the PSU? Have you tried to take out the GTX670 and only use the integrated GPU?

15. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    9c is usually one of two things, either:

1. More VCore required or
    2. More QPI/VTT volts required (most likely solution)

Try each of them, bet it solves it ;)

I have a list of about 20 common error codes related to Bloomfield, SB and IB and it has always worked for me, rarely wrong!

16. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Of course, that's the first thing I did. The only parts involded are: two mobos, two types of kingston ram, same PSU and two CPUs ( and DVD-rom or USB key for Windows install ) That's it.

Again, all of these parts are working, except when combined with i5 3570K.

17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Ok, then I'd think CPU as well, might as well contact Intel to swap it out. It does happen..it's rare, but not utterly uncommon.

When OC'd, sure, but at stock, there should be no need for such adjustments. Not all those codes we have listed there apply to IVB either, specifically the QPI/VTT thing.

18. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    BUT HOW comes that it worked for 5 months in a row?? I didn't touch UEFI bios before.

19. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay then, I will presume it's the faulty i5 3570K.

Thank you all for your time/help!

20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    considering you dont have another motherboard to test that chip in

cadaveca says thanks.
  21. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    Care to post that list? Could be helpful to a lot of us :toast:

22. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
  23. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There was a minor issue talked about in the Gigabyte support forums about 18 months ago claiming stability issues with some H77 boards (the budget ones I think) not holding consistent QPI voltages when set to auto, if I remember rightly those few (and thats all it was) who set the volts manually solved the problem, not sure if any later Bios releases addressed the issue because as I said, I don't think it was that widespread, of course that might not be what is causing your issue at all, just thought it might be worth trying before you return the CPU.

Mine is different to Dave's but only a paper copy, there are a few more on my list and there is a little more detail within the explanations with some specific SB and IB updates on it, when I have a few I will type it up

24. jojo24 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have more than one LGA1155 mobo to test it on, and I did. Please read the first post.

I sent the "faulty" i5 3570K back so that's that.

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I'd love to see it myself. That other list is good for older platforms, but SB/SBE/IVB have different codes even from one to the next, and many codes can indicate more than one type of fault.

Personally, I have this bookmarked, perhaps you can make use of it.:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh994433(v=vs.85).aspx

My favorite is this one:

0xDEADDEAD - MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH1

The Double Dead BSOD.

:roll:

Tatty_One and Crap Daddy say thanks.