1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FEAR COMBAT under WIN VISTA Performance issue

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bossweed16pipes, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Bossweed16pipes New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, FEAR COMBAT its the only game that I play online and I think that is a kick ass game :nutkick:

I got Win Vista Ultimate x64 RTM build 6 with 7.2 Catalyst drivers and the game at start it gives some decent fps, from 50 to 200 but then play for like 5 mins and the frame rate drops to a constant 25-30fps with is really unplayeable and got to exit to avoid humilliation :laugh:

I got a 80gbs pata drive with win xp pro 32bits on it just for Combat and in XP runs smooth with framerate from 60 to 200+, I dont like dual booting so everytime I want some kick ass Combat action I got to set my bios to boot with the pata drive.

Anyone running Vista is having this issue in Combat with Ati?

2. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    it ran fine for me on 32bit from rc1 to retail must be a 64bit issue

3. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've only had like a 5 FPS drop on Vista RC1 playing CoD2....F.E.A.R. runs great on my comp, but for some reason the FPS are capped around 60. Don't know why.

4. Dark-it New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey... im havin the same problem with F.E.A.R. and XP. im running vista x64 final, with an evga 8800gts so im guessing it is a 64bit issue.

pbmaster vsync would do that assuming your screen refresh rate is 60hz.

5. BXtreme

BXtreme New Member

Thanks Received:
    try re-installing drivers, and the game.

6. Dark-it New Member

Thanks Received:
    already tried, didnt make a difference :(

7. AshenSugar

AshenSugar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dark-it:gotta love those high quility vista 8800 drivers........sorry but you have nvidia 8800 and you "upgraded" to vista, WTF where you thinking?

and fear has "issues" this is known to anybody who owns or plays it, vug (the publisher) is HORRID about support and fixing known probems, dont expect much if any help from then in a timely manner :(

8. Dark-it New Member

Thanks Received:
    haha... true all things have bugs but fear hasnt given me any b4 and iv been playin since it came out. i havent rly upgraded to vista, i dual boot with xp. as 4 my 8800 its god like.... pisses over any card iv used/seen b4 :nutkick: .

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  9. DarkOneX New Member

Thanks Received:
    The performance issue with FEAR in Vista has nothing to do with 64bit and nothing to do with low memory, bad hardware, etc. It ran perfect for me even on my 7900GT in XP and as soon as I went to Vista 32bit the problems started. I am now running a new video card, 8800GTS, and 2GB more RAM, and Vista 64 bit and same problem exists.

Basically what happens is the game starts out running great, then after a few minutes it will completely pause for 1-3 seconds, then do it again 3-4 times in a row, then afterwards it will run really cruddy, probably 20-30fps until I restart the game. It's almost as if something in Vista has kicked in causing it to happen, or almost as if the video card was slowing down to half-power. However neither is the case as I killed off all processes aside from necessary ones,a nd checked Event Viewer and no nVidia power issues etc. This has happened to me also on every Vista drive I've used from 97.46 or whatever it was up to the newest 101.XX driver. I feel it's probably somethign that's going to have to be fixed by the FEAR team. Really sucks because I'm not keeping XP around just for FEAR but it is my most played game so it's very annoying.

10. Dark-it New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey again.... not sure if this will make a difference but iv been tinkering with some other games and iv noticed the same problem. seems to be anti aliasing that is causing it. but i don't have time to install fear and find out if it works. hope this helps

11. DarkOneX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Negative, I always use 0 AA, always have, don't believe in it. It always takes too much of a perf hit to be worth it imo. Also tried the multithreaded optimization enabled/disabled makes no diff.