1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

February World Community Grid Team Challenge Planning!

Discussion in 'World Community Grid (WCG)' started by [Ion], Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Hey Team! I'm excited to announce that a new Team Challenge is in the works! This is my first time running a competition, so I'd like your input for the process! My current plan is to start the challenge either the first or second week of February (perhaps either the 6th or the 12th) and then let it run for the remainder of the month. Half-way through we would have a game giveaway as before. I have an AMD Never Settle game coupon and an AMD Nexuiz coupon that I'd be putting up for grabs there.

I'm going to see if I can get Chicken Patty to put up an announcement a few days before we start--hopefully we can recruit some new members that way.

While a competition where everyone throws in what they can is fun, prizes are all the better. In addition to the game giveaway, I'm hoping to have some more tangible prizes like in our last big event. I'm willing to offer up one or two cash (PayPal, really) prizes--probably something on the order of $20-25 each. I'm also willing to offer up spare hardware that I have. In terms of hardware prizes, I can offer up hard drives (a couple, probably), DDR2 RAM, and LGA775 CPUs. I may be willing to offer a full system--probably a Core 2 Duo-class system. Obviously, these aren't the greatest prizes, so I would love contributions. If you have hardware (or cash) that you'd be willing to donate, it would be greatly appreciated--just send a PM my way!

As far as the requirements go, the plan was to run for either two or three weeks. I'm thinking of requiring hopeful entrants to turn in points (as reported by Free-DC, unless errors crop up) at least half of the days during the contest. I was thinking that I'd also aim for a small minimum requirement in terms of points completed--maybe ten or fifteen thousand points over the course of the event. The introduction of the GPU WUs has admittedly complicated things a bit here--a HD7950 can do this in five hours, but I don't want to discount the contributions of volunteers just running a Core 2 Duo. If I can figure out a way to do it, I'm thinking of a runtime requirement instead.

I'm going to see if there's an official WCG competition that we can participate in during this event--something that will go on our permanent record should be an inspiration to crunch harder ;)

It's a pleasure crunching with all of you, and I'd love your input so that we can make this competition as much fun as possible! :toast: :respect:

And because we can never have enough landscapes, Moraine Lake:
    [​IMG]

Prizes accumulated thus far:
    • AMD Never Settle Game Promo (Ion)
    • AMD Nexuiz Coupon (Ion)
    • Misc DDR2 RAM, LGA775 CPUs, HDDs (Ion)
    • 2x $20+ PayPal gifts (Ion)
    • 2x Radeon HD7770 (mjkmike)
    • i7-3930k (mjkmike)
    • P9X79 Pro (mjkmike)
    • Misc hardware (Mad Shot)
    • $25 via PayPal (Bow)

The competition has now been announced on AnandTech and XtremeSystems--I'm hopeful that we can get a variety of other teams to join us :toast:
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    HammerON, Chicken Patty, KieX and 7 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
    :respect: wow! This looks to be a fantastic initiative [Ion]
    you can expect some contribution from me too

but not sure how you will track the scores of team members.. can it be done in WCG or calculated from free-DC?
    Daimus, [Ion] and brandonwh64 say thanks.
  3. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the input :toast:

I can certainly track it. I'll get a list of everyone who wants to take part, record their score at the start of the competition (from Free-DC, BOINCStats, or similar) and keep it in a spreadsheet, and then record it at the end and find the difference. And while I can track whether users have turned in points at least half of the days--it would be a pain in the ass, as I'd have to go through and look at every user profile on Free-DC, but again, it can be done, and I'll do it :)

Stuff like that is merely tedious--certainly not much of an impediment with enough determination :)
    NHKS and Daimus say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Great idea! - count me in for support and a donation or two :rockout:-:toast:

IMHO it's easier to use the honor system and/or let the participant prove that requirements are met.... it's a far easier process ;)

FYI- Here's a sample of the rules used from the last competition:

NHKS says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the ideas and support :toast:

I think those rules are good ones. I think I'll accept them verbatim, except change the date (to reflect current conditions) and the "once all users hit 25000" (I'd rather just let it run for a time interval) :toast:
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    as always, im in :toast:
    NHKS and [Ion] say thanks.
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your support Alien! :toast:

It looks like we have Chicken Patty's support, so the next step is to find an official WCG competition that we can take part in. I'd like to find one that is HCC-related so that we can wield our GPU power :cool:
    Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Any competition that utilizes HCC, results returned, or total points should allow us to utilize our GPU crunching effectively ;)

FYI- I've been looking at some of the upcoming challenges and the available ones don't seem to fit our Team as well as the 3 that we entered last November.....

Maybe we can issue our own challenge to WCG Teams this time :)
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    My thought as well. There are quite a few that run the entire length of February, but that wouldn't really be ideal. And then there are a few one or two day ones that also seem odd.
    I've sent Chicken a message asking if he could create a challenge once we decide on what we want :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Im in! What do we have to do? I can leave my 6950's on 24/7 (besides game times) for this duration since the BSOD has been fixed.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Basically just crunch as much as you can. I'm trying to arrange prizes to give out at the end.

However, if you have any suggestions of what you'd like to see, please offer them! :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    Do we in some way have to "sign up" for the competition on WCG's site, or does it automatically attribute our points toward the challenge when it starts so long as we're apart of the TPU team?
  13. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    @Xenturion: I think must say "I am in", because there are people in the TPU team who are not TPU members. Plus some use different names for WCG compared to their names used for their TPU accounts.

I might set-up BOINC to do GPU crunching if I am asleep, doing CPU-only crunching during the day (so that workflow is not hindered). I am definitely participating in the challenge, BTW.
    Daimus says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Once the official challenge thread is posted, just chime in that you're interested. That's it :toast:
    That sounds like a great combination :toast:
    Daimus and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    mjkmike has very generously offered a LGA2011 i7, X79 board, and some HD7770s as prizes for this competition :toast: :respect:
    Daimus, KieX, Chevalr1c and 5 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    :respect::respect::respect:

Leave it to Mike to donate such awesome hardware!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: Man, I got to get my systems all set up for this!!! I could really utilize a 7770 for one of the crunching rigs!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I was astonished when I got the PM--I thought that he was just saying he's crunch on them for the duration of the event! :toast:

I wish you the best in your pursuit for a HD7770 :)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    Though i've had luck winning games, i would really like to win a physical prize for once :p cheers to everyone thats donating stuff for this comp :toast: :toast: :rockout:
  19. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Well, we have several prizes from Mike, I plan on offering some HW and PayPal prizes, and I'm optimistic we can dig up more between now and then, so I'd say your chances are decent :toast:
    stinger608 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I don't know how I've missed this thread for several days now :shadedshu :shadedshu

Anyway I'm excited to do so most definitely, count me in :) :rockout:

I can offer up a few games for some winners; I'll have to take a look and see what I have available. :toast:

:respect::respect: [Ion] :respect::respect:
    stinger608 and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Norton

Thanks Received:
    :eek: Holy Crap!!! Amazing donation from mjkmike!!! :toast:-:respect:-:respect:
    [Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your support Manofthem! This is just a planning thread, I'll start a new thread in a few days (maybe four or five) announcing the dates and requirements and the prizes accumulated thus far. But you're certainly welcome--and games are appreciated. I have my Never Settle coupon and Nexuiz, but more is always better :)
    I'm simply floored :respect: :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Big thanks to Mike for his continued contributions. That hardware should evolve this into a 1+ month giveaway.
    AlienIsGOD and [Ion] say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    So you'd like me to stretch this out a bit? Maybe ~8 February until ~10 March?
    AlienIsGOD and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    That would be a nice extension.
    stinger608 and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU