1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fedora Flies!

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by DannibusX, Jun 8, 2010.

1. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I installed Fedora 13 on my surfing system and it just hauls balls. I like it, but now I got to figure out how to install stuff like Flash and things.

Learning curve FTL.

2. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    My favorites are Fedora and Ubuntu

3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    flash can be a pain in the ass. generally there are a bunch of ways to do it and it is up to you to chose which you prefer. did you get your gpu drivers working?

4. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I finally got flash installed by using a local install yum command in terminal. I "think" I got the drivers installed, I read through a thread on the Fedora forums on how to do it. I guess installing nVidia drivers is harder than it looks, lol.

Also, I am pretty impressed that Fedora recognized my usb wireless ethernet adaptor (Belkin) without the need of the driver disc. That's awesome and made for a pain free internet connection in my bedroom.

Oh, is there a way to look at my hardware in Linux, like device manager? I tried looking last night, but got lost a little.

5. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    actually there are some open source drivers for your nvidia card that are easy to install. you can of course choose to install the nvidia drivers youself using some the command line. it is not as hard as it looks!

for years and years linux was WAY behind getting wifi drivers up. it really turned a lot of people away from linux as a result. but they finally got their heads out of their butts and realized people want instant connection to the internet so they can problem solve their new linux install :laugh:

DannibusX says thanks.
  6. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    o_O Where would I find the open source nVidia drivers? I will definitely look into grabbing those.

lol, I set up my Linux PC at my router last night then shut it down and took it upstairs. I flipped the power on after I got it hooked and cursed when it loaded because I didn't make sure I had the driver for the NIC. Turns out it was plug and play. I was pleased.

Do you have any recommended reading on Linux?

7. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    not really. the fedora docs are pretty helpful with the basic stuff and the forums are searchable if you have any issues. there are a few people on tpu who use fedora often and can help out if you get stuck.

8. monte84

monte84 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its also as easy as downloading it from adobe and extracting the file and putting it in the plugins folder.

KieranD and DannibusX say thanks.