1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Feedback on my new build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Franklinwallbrown, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Franklinwallbrown

Franklinwallbrown New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not go Xeon? Don't they OC better? (Assuming you can find a good MB for it, which I couldn't find.)

The MB looks good & the 1200 RAM, nice!

RAM = NICE

I was looking at PSU & there are a lot of 1KWs, so...??? Could you explain your choice? Do you really need 1KW?

My HD DVD/Blu Ray!

Why that case?

I don't know if that monitor is 8 bit or not, if it is then it's good, if not then it isn't as good as my westinghouse probably.

Looks like a good CPU cooling block, but again, I don't know much about that.

What is the Mean Well exactly for?

I get the Y fittings.

Very nice looking fans, but are they effective?

Cooling fluid; always good for a water cooling setup.

Speed Pump; I expect it to be important.

You always need reservoirs.

I get the Dielectric Grease Compound. Defiantly a must!

Neoprene? What does that do?

Criticool Power Plant? What does that do?

Black Ice GTX240? Even reading it made me confused. A radiator?

Thermal paste; a must.

This 8800GTUltra seems to be better and cheaper.

2. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    What is better 2x 8800GTs in SLI or 1x 8800GTUltra?

3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    This thread will help on what I just posted.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=49242

The CPU is the best one on the market hands down. That's the one they set world records with right now.

With that case the radiator could just strap right on the back of the case, and it already has holes for the water lines.

That cpu block is powered by the meanwell, and the Criticool Power Plant is to turn it off when you turn your machine off.A MUST

A 1k PSW will run more efficiently than a lower powered one. Your not going to pull that at all times.

4. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    Cheapest QX9650 I could find + you can get $15 back if you use their Bill Me Later option!!!

I get the CPU being the best.

The radiator is handy.

The CPU block? Power Plant?

Tru! You just use what you need. Why do you want efficiency?

That is a massive thread & I will look at it another time. Looks like a good read, though!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  5. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    That is what you call a TEC block you run electricity thru it, and one side will get very cold(freezing cold) and the other side very hot(melting hot). So it's like a car the water goes into the engine in this case a CPU water block then out into a radiator to dispense the heat. Then it goes into the reservoir to collect, and back into the CPU block.

efficiency=cheaper power bill

6. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    We seem to be jumping all over the world here in cost and different ideas....

Should we re-examine your goals here, cost, use of machine, weather you even want to water/tec cool...

I have just seen a few different threads with some pretty different ideas..

7. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    Okay, make perfect sense.

I here that. Also, if you want a cheaper electricity bill and higher speeds. You could go SSD.

As for me going this build. I don't think so. I don't really have the money to spend on that right now, because of college, but I will get a job within the next year & I'll probably want a crazy fast computer like that, so...I'll get back to you on that.

Back to my build, though. I was thinking about going a MB that supports 1066 RAM like this + 2x 2gb of 1066 RAM like this. Too crazy?

8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    NO SSD currently is VERY expensive, and can only be written to a limited number of times. They are good for a drive thats data doesn't change.

9. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    Can you elaborate a little more on that?

I was thinking, since Da said that we can't even implement quad cores yet, so, I was thinking about a dual core Xeon.

10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    If you are going to get a dual core get an E8400, currently there is no Xeon dual core than can compete with that chip.

And Da is right on the button, duals are starting to come around in everyday applications, we are still a ways off from really utilizing quads.

The point against SSD is its like a CD/RW you can only write to it so many times and its shot, that amount is not enough to use it as a standard drive in a desktop machine.

11. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    So, quad cores are overkill? Therefore, if I got one I could run anything? or are they bad in someway?

12. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Well its not really overkill so to say. Basically they are not being fully utilized by programs, meaning a game like Crysis will only use 2 cores of your 4 to its advantage.

Now the way multi cores work that doesn't much matter, but quads are more expensive, and harder to overclock, plus draw more power.

A quad @ 3ghz and a dual @ 3ghz when running a program that will only use 2 cores you will notice around a 1-2% increase with the quad because the other 2 cores can run background tasks, services and such.

But being clocking the quad is much harder... Few people get over 3600 mhz with a q6600 while many people break 4000 mhz with an e6600. That is where it really starts to seperate themselves.

Quads are nice, but I don't see them as something that is needed at this point, unless you are building a system to be a bench queen, or simply have money to toss around to get the best of the best possible, or of course use softwares that do take advantage of all the cores, currently that is a very small group.

13. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    So...I need to go dual core? Woah is me! I've been around this block too much! It is funny though, the qx9650s are more expensive because of L2 cache & OC ability. Wasup wit dat?

14. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    The Extreme editions are a bunch of CRAP, they overcharge for almost nothing in bonus, they are not worth the EXTREME price increase put on them, more about 1/2 of what they are priced at.

Personally I would go with pretty much what you had going...
    Personally I wouldn't bother with an HD and/or Blu ray drive.
    I wouldn't bother with overly fast ram, DDR2 1000 or 1066 is plenty fast enough.
    That leaves you open for a 500 or 533 bus at 1:1 timings which would send an e8400 to 4500mhz or 4797 mhz...
    8800GT 512mb is a good choice, if you want more don't buy an Ultra, get a 512mb 8800GTS.
    I would probably spend more and get a good psu, wouldn't bother with that case unless you are going water or tec cooling.
    I would also get a better mainboard.

Also remember if you "might" want to add another video card later with an Intel chipset you will need to either get a ATI card for crossfire or get a SLI mainboard. HD3850 performs very well with 512mb for the $200 price tag also.

15. Bluefox1115

Thanks Received:
    andddddd back to my suggestion I see.. :p

16. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much... This is a whole lot of money to spend on a computer that overall is not very good...

Here is an idea I threw together-
    Samsung SATA DVD/RW lightscribe *on of the BEST drives available*
    If your not planning to buy and watch HD or Blu-ray movies on your computer
    those drives are stupidly overpriced...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154

Lian Li PC-7B Plus
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099
    Basic case, rock solid, great cooling

Seagate 7200.10 400gb drives
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148138
    2 or more, raid them they will destroy WD's and the 10k isn't worth anything unless your running a server or "NEED" super low response time *used in things like audio production for live recording*.

Same screen-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824255001

DUAL HD3850's 512mb
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102715
    *Whoop that 8800GT into silly submission!

Here is your Prelude
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156005

PCPC 750 watt psu *A REAL high quality psu
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

Same speakers-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116153

2x2048 Gskill DDR2 1000 ram
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

Asus P5K-E *Great mainboard with good reviews, I have personally owned this*
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131225

E8400 "bang for buck chip by far clocks to 4+ ghz easily"
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Zalman 120mm fans... Better air flow, give your graphics cards cool air! 3 of them..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118008

Arctic Cooling Freezer.... Very good, price is unbeatable
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Same headphones-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249016

Barely over $2200 and would destroy the system you have posted above... Completely destroy it!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  17. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I think not niko084 LOL. Even I have been looking at the QX9650 a 45nm chip, and yes more and more things are starting to use the quad because everyone is starting to get them. I bet a lot of games this year will start to use quad core. That chip would last around for a long time.

He was planing on watching movies on his computer, and the ultra card is the best on the market at the moment.

What's good about the 780i for the most part to be is the voltage doesn't rest or flash for a sec when you go out of bios and start to boot. Makes overclocking way easier. In that theard above post he hit 4.6 stable and his tec wasn't even working. Just a block of copper!!!

BUT it is a lot of $$$$.

18. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    IMO that is WAY too much for a sound card. These days, onboard sound isn't bad, and a good sound card can be had for under $80.

19. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :toast: Agreed, I have been using onboard for my last 2 motherboards and I have no need for sound cards anymore. I use a optical connection for my z5500 speakers and it sounds much better than my x-fi ever did, if you have a good decoder in your stereo system, let it do the work

20. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    What about for headphones?

21. Franklinwallbrown

Thanks Received:
    Looking at the specs of the extremes, I would have to agree. I don't see much gain. I want an HD DVD/Blu Ray drive, because it is a personal preference of mine & I have the money to get one. I already have a DVD drive. Can you use different speed RAM in different slots? For example, if you have a MB w/ 800 standard; can you put 1066 in it? I am not an expert on Graphics Cards, so, I can only go on what you guys tell me. I have a 6600, so I'm out of the loop. I also don't know that much about power supplies. & I wanted the Cosmos 1000 for quietness. To be continued...

22. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my onboard is more than suffiecent for my bose QC3 headphones, I know there not "gaming" headphones but when i listen to music they sound spectacular

23. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just updated to the newer version of Everest and ran a CPU Queen test with my q6600 against a qx9650, and when I have my q6600 at 3.6 I score a 25,000 and the qx scores 21,000. So if you plan on overclocking save yourself the money and get a q6600 or a q6700(for the higher multi),

***OHH*** your going xeon, no prob, same thing

24. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Eh thats a really strong matter of opinion...

25. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Didn't know about the watching movies... The sure the Ultra still ranks a number 1 barely... But for that massive power draw and price, why not beat it out for less, I mean heck if you want to stick Nvidia, grab a G92 512mb 8800GTS and call it a day, it's running near hand and hand with the Ultra, slightly behind, uses far less power also and is cheaper.

I don't know much about Nvidia chipsets, and actually I thought the 780i was the one that was having issues with 45nm chips?

Beyond that, yes the huge quad would be enough to last for awhile, and over the next year or two more applications will be starting to use them.... But honestly who has even started saying they were going to produce another massive game lately? We have Crysis and Bioshock, which both only use dual cores and hardly need one at 3ghz let alone 4-5.

I'm not saying a quad is a bad choice or a waste of money, but I do highly believe that their absolute top chips are a waste of money, sure its the best of the best, but look at the premium you pay for that...... I can't justify that considering you can buy one that costs about half as much now, have great performance, and in 1-2 years buy another one that costs the other half and have better performance than it would provide.