• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fermi lab's Tevatron shuts down today.

T

twilyth

I guess they've gotten all they could out of it. I've spoken to a couple people who are research physicists (about 7 or 8 months ago, whenever it was announced) and they agree that it's served it's purpose. So, like it says, pour one for the Tevatron.

Pour one out for the Tevatron particle accelerator, because it's shutting down today
[Share on Google Reader] Gmail Twitter Facebook [M.523] [Instapaper] [Read It Later] Tumblr [more sharing options]
[ save for later]
The eyes of the physics community are collectively fixed upon Illinois today, where, later this afternoon, researchers at Fermilab will shut down the Tevatron particle accelerator... for good. That's right -- the world's second-largest collider is being laid to rest, after a remarkable 25-year run that was recently halted due to budgetary constraints. Earlier this year, Fermilab's scientists and a group of prominent physicists pleaded with the government to keep the Tevatron running until 2014, but the Energy Department ultimately determined that the lab's $100 million price tag was too steep, effectively driving a nail through the accelerator's subterranean, four-mile-long coffin. First activated in 1985, the Tevatron scored a series of subatomic breakthroughs over the course of its lifespan, including, most notably, the discovery of the so-called top quark in 1995. Its groundbreaking technology, meanwhile, helped pave the way for CERN's Large Hadron Collider, which will now pursue the one jewel missing from the Tevatron's resume -- the Higgs boson. Many experts contend that the collider could've gone on to achieve much more, but its ride will nonetheless come to an inglorious end at 2PM today, when Fermilab director Pier Oddone oversees the Tevatron's last rites. "That will be it," physicist Gregorio Bernardi told the Washington Post. "Then we'll have a big party."

Pour one out for the Tevatron particle accelerator, because it's shutting down today originally appeared on Engadget on Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:43:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

I I didn't sleep last night and I read that as "rub one out for the Tevatron" My mind did a few somersaults before coming to rest on "I read that wrongly".

System Name Coming up in september
I have to admit that the 100 million price tag is NOT too large when put into perspective of the amount of funding going into e.g. marijuana campaigns :p, it's a fraction of that, but ofcourse I don't know much about this facility so I wouldn't be able to say surely how relevant it is anymore

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
If they rip out the accelerator, put in a wicked, four-mile long roller coaster and charge admission they would probably make enough to build a bigger PA. :D

If they rip out the accelerator, put in a wicked, four-mile long roller coaster and charge admission they would probably make enough to build a bigger PA. :D

Hell, Fermilab is only about 30 min away compared to about 1.5 hours to Six flags. I'd go to ride that thing in a heartbeat.

I have to admit that the 100 million price tag is NOT too large when put into perspective of the amount of funding going into e.g. marijuana campaigns :p

A worthy cause at least:laugh:

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
$100 million price tag was too steep
pfft who needs to understand particle physics, all you need to know is now we can afford 1 more F35 for the fleet :rockout:

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
pfft who needs to understand particle physics, all you need to know is now we can afford 1 more F35 for the fleet :rockout:

Not even, they're pegging the price at $133 million per unit now. :shadedshu