1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FF XIII (My impression)

Discussion in 'Games' started by alucasa, Mar 9, 2010.

1. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    I am 4 hours into the game. I have PS3 version. The grahpic's average. It looks good but not stunning.

The most important aspect is that the plot is completely liner so far. You can't explore at all and you don't have any choices.

And I have a small problem with the game. A character named Vanille. She is ... well annoying. :rolleyes:
  2. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    FF games are always linear up until about 70% through the storyline when you get an uber vehicle of some sort. (airship) I'll probably like it. In XII, it was easy to get distracted.
  3. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I forgot about that. I guess innovation is not a word in Square Enix's dictionary. Though in FF 7 and 8, there were strong sense of desperation in the plots. Later FF games have been ... somewhat dull.
  4. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Is Red head Vanille as quirky as Rikku from FFX?
  5. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    I can tell from your avatar that you enjoy the higher end of RPGs/Strat games. FF has gone sour after it left the SNES, and so far it's been games they publish that end up being better than their in-house fluff. Good observations.
  6. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Kinda. More annoying. Basically, think of Vanille as Yuffie with voice ! ... and without desire to steal.

While I can enjoy liner PRGs, I want plots that suck me in. Like Heavy Rain where I can emerge myself into the game's plot (or world). In FF7 and 8, characters' ordeals were my ordeals. Their pains were my pains. But something is wrong with recent PRGs. I cannot pinpoint exactly what has gone wrong, but I feel that something very vital is missing from recent RPGs.
    Lionheart says thanks.
  7. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Well i haven't played it myself so to hear that someone doesn't really rate the game as highly is a bit of fresh air, i like to hear a lot of different views to get a really good impression.

Its probably a good game but not fantastic, i get the impression the story hasnt grabbed you at all so far.

Hmmmn yeah i understand the more modern rpgs have changed a bit, there are a few i enjoyed but nothing of a proper rpg in the last year. Although i was never really big on level grinding so it has to be a fantastic game to get me now.
  8. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    even gamespot said she's annoying and put her in as a con for the game lol. I think ill wait to pickup this game used.
  9. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    8 and half hours into the game.

For the whole time, I've been battling pretty much non-stop. Stories are being told by small cut scenes along the way.
    This reminds me of grinding. Boy, I am getting disappointed.
  10. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Argh! I'ma stop paying attention lol.
  11. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    You've better. lol

The stories go like this.

"I can't do this!"
    "No, you can. Cheer up."
    "Yeah, let's go!"

lol, typical.
  12. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    That's what all anime is like. It's just 3d and better lol
  13. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Hehe, actually sounds a bit like they've mixed in some of "The Bouncer" gameplay. Its a Squaresoft game and its pretty much fight>cutscene>cutscene>fight>cutscene>fight.

http://au.gamespot.com/ps2/action/bouncer/index.html?tag=result;title;0
  14. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Got to agree with you man, been disappointed by a lot I've tried recently.

Dragon Age pulled me in only to be to damn short, I remember RPGS used to be epic and take a good few weeks to finish, did dragon age in 4 plays : [

Never-winter nights 2 wasn't to bad either, but was very glitchy and thus not much fun there.

My favourite rpgs has got to be the Icewind Dale Series though, really roped me in!

That and Final Fantasy 3 :laugh:
  15. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Just got done with the first hour or so. The reviews were right its dull in the beginning- one review I read said first 15hours are dull. That's cool, some games aren't even that long :D

I also agree with the comment on the graphics. I am more impressed with Uncharted 2 and have a feeling GoW3 will blow me away though. I don't care too much about them though.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    FF7 has quite a dull beginning, I'd say. Half an hour on the intro mission is exciting, then it gets really boring for a while.

I have that game. It's fun, but pretty stupid. :laugh:
  17. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    Gosh, yeah. Dragon Age was quite good. It had pretty much, almost everything, I wanted in a RPG except that it ended way wayyyy too early. I was just getting into it then it ended. :/
  18. runnin17

runnin17 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not true, not true. If you have a chance, check out Hajime no Ippo. Best anime ever!!!!
  19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    LMAO yeah I saw Kevin from gamespot do the review on FFXIII and said that she's really annoying, then I laughed:laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS. Just got my copy of FXIII Collectors Editions in the mail, for the PS3, AWESOMENESS!!!
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  20. alucasa

alucasa

Thanks Received:
    About 10 hours in. I am gonna sleep now.

I still haven't had a decent break in the game. The most break I had was 8 seconds of straight running without running into a mob. The plot has gotten a little better though. Nice melrodrama between Snow and Serah.

Nighty night.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  21. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Dragon Age is a great game ive still to finish it, got really into Mass Effect 2 but its now an action game with RPG elements so it technically doesnt count as an RPG.

The new Final Fantasy doesnt seem to bad but ill wait till its like £30 before i grab it.

BTW, i hate level grinding its boring it was fun the first few times i had to do it years ago or when it doesnt seem so obvious but a lot of games are simply you need to level up to be able to beat a boss so hours of crappy endless fights.
  22. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    I owe Binge an apology. He said FF13 would be utter crap and guess what, it is! I still think he deserves to be shot for saying FF7 was rubbish :D

All jokes aside, FF13, what a let down :shadedshu Im going to stick to my God Of War Collection. I completed part 1 last night (I completed the PS2 version also back in the day lol) but I never did get the chance to play part 2, so Im looking forward to that this evening :) Then all I need to get me over the disappointment of FF13 is God Of War 3 :rockout:
    Binge says thanks.
  23. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    People still watch.....

er, play these games? :laugh:
  24. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I gave up on FF a long time ago. I did buy the remake of the OG game on the PSP and I regularly play FF1 on the NES.

I am not surprised people are disappointed with the new title.
  25. EarlZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've played a lot of the final fantasy games but only finished FF7,8 and 9. Currently playing FF12 on emulator though..

I was so excited for FF13 and when my friends told me that the game is really that straight forward, my excitement died but still gonna get it when I decide to get a 360 or PS3