1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

fibre optic

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by cookiemonster, May 2, 2013.

1. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I am with talktalk and fibre to the cabinet has came to my street and I am thinking of going for it, is there any problems or downfalls with it I would like some advice as I don't know much about it.
    regards

2. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    no. fiber is awesome! no downsides.

cookiemonster says thanks.
  3. Geekoid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, fibre is great. One day we'll even have fibre to the home!

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Most everything is fiber now. Cable might be RF off the jack, but at the end of the street you have a node connected to a fiber network. Putting a huge box in your house or at the end of the street makes little difference to most end users and generally speaking DOCSIS 3.0 can push out some pretty impressive numbers but when push comes to shove, it's really all the same thing, it just depends on how it's implemented. Fairpoint (Fiber here in my part of New Hampshire) is pretty iffy where Comcast is usually a solid bet with Time Warner and Metrocast being okay but pricey options.

5. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When I was with Verizon, my only options were dial-up or satellite. In an amazing turn of event, the local telco co-op has now run fiber right to my house.

Get the fiber.

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    talktalk are one of the worst ISPs in the UK.

Theres a reason why their broadband packages are so cheap, nobody wants to touch them unless they are on a serious budget.

cookiemonster and Aquinus say thanks.
  7. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I must be one of the lucky ones as I have had no problems with them and my speed has been good faster than what BT says I should get mind you I started with another so called bad ISP and I had no problems with them (Tiscali).

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  8. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    It depends what you use the net for guess, one thing with talktalk is there trafic management sucks so any torrenting/P2P will be limited to poor speeds.

I just went with plusnet and get around 40Mbps and there are no caps or limits and the price was good at time of sign up.

9. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Which in this day of quad-shielded coax cables, isn't a huge issue unless you're really far away from the node, which wouldn't be mitigated by less EMI, but rather the signal loss because of the distance from the node or the number of splitters you have to go through.

EMI isn't usually an issue in this day and age on modern cable networks unless there is something wrong with the line between the street and your modem, which would be a problem with Fiber too if the line is damaged.

10. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    I am about 400m away from the fibre cabinet and the have estimated on the medium package 38mg

11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Most EMI problems are in LANs (CAT5/6) with long or silly cable paths. EMI reduces the effective bandwidth of those cables by increasing packetloss.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    There is no real negatives to fibre. Except I'd recommend going with Virgin Media as they have the best infrastructure for the technology, hence most reliable. BT is playing catch up with its Infinity service and is priced badly. I'm guessing Talk Talk are leasing the service from BT and adding their own discounts, this is well and good but Talk Talk have been known for giving rubbish technical support when things go wrong.

13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Fiber is difficult to repair if cut (like some idiot not getting utility lines marked before digging).

Crunching for Team TPU