1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

File and email server?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by 7.62, Apr 25, 2010.

1. 7.62

7.62 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I have built a PC for a friend who spends a lot of time interstate. I am wondering what the most effective way of setting it up as a email and file server that he can 'dial' into.

He is in Perth and the computer is in Vic. He works on the mines over there and runs a business here. How can he and his work mate both get their emails routed from author to the desktop and then back to them on the move?

I dont know of that makes sense. If it doesnt Ill try again.

2. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    We use an Exchange Server configured using IMAP, my Iphone, Netbook(Outlook), and Desktop(Outlook) all synchronize with the server. So if I write something on one, it gets updated to the others. I also use Logmein Ignition, which works surprisingly well over Iphone in the rare case I can't get to the computer. Scared the crap out of my boss when I took a service ticket from my Iphone while waiting for my lunch at a little Italian place down the street(As he gets a copy of all my conversations since we cover for one another).

7.62 says thanks.
  3. 7.62

7.62 New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is an exchange server?
    But that is exactly the setup I am looking for. There will be 3 laptops dialing in to this server, but your right on the money.

I have installed windows 7 on the machine so far, any other programs I will need?

Thanks heaps for the info to mate. Keep it coming!! :)

4. bpgt64

bpgt64

Thanks Received:
    Well, it's a type of Email Server used commonly in small companies. I am not sure I could explain how to setup one over a forum(truth be told I have never set one up myself). You might wanna consider using an online mail client like gmail...