1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

File Server

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Thermopylae_480, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    FileServer

I created a file server in using WinServ03, and got it all up and working.

It prompts me for a password and user account when I want to access those folders from a different computer on my network, which is what I want it to do. However, it stays logged in. So I can repeatedly access those folders, and all other folders as much as I want after I've logged in. Is there a way I can log out of the server files without logging out of the PC I'm accessing them from?

I don't know if anyone can make sense of what I just said, I don't know if I can.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  2. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    Use a domain AD level account admin when you run things for the ENTIRE network & make SURE he has FULL RIGHTS to things on each node of the LAN?

I think I made sense of it...???

Good luck, wait out guys like Steevo too, for 2nd opinions etc.

APK

3. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    I think I figured out a better way to say it.

I want Pass-thru logon to appear every time I access a shared folder on the server, even if I've already entered it once.

e.g.

If I access \\server\folder I want pass-thru to show up, I then want to be able to browse all subfolders and files without re-entering this information. When I'm done I want to be able to logout out of the folder so that if I re-visit it, it prompts me to enter the information again.

I want to be able to do this without logging out of the local user account I'm accessing the server from.

4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    At the NTFS rights level (rightclick disk/folder in questions, properties, security tab)?

Add the "uber network admins" to it... on the disks/folders in question, etc. OR any other users needed, with necessary rights for each needed.

AND, add them to VALID groups on the machine in question, locally, via lusrmgr.msc.

Try that!

APK

P.S.=> Editing, but I perhaps ASSUMED you did this already: You have to share the folders in question too... ah, so easy to overlook what I think are 'basics' but it can kill, missing simple details too... sorry about that! apk

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  5. Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean by "At the NTFS rights level?"

6. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    SECURITY TAB IN EXPLORER.EXE ABOVE... that is what you use that set security on folders & such, just as I show it above, for your filesystem. Just what I meant here, quoting myself below (from above directions)

Just follow it's directions, you will see what I mean:

IF You don't add remote users there, as well as in local user manager? Think they can access your files on disk??

(Unless you find some other way to do this that is)

APK

7. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    Therm,

Why do you want the auto-logoff from Network drives? You reason might help me understand a workaround to your problem.

In general, once you are sign-in to a network resource, it doesnt time out. Like your printer, NAS, internet connection etc.

8. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only thing I can think of, as to WHY he might wish to do this, would be to lessen "network chatter" & generating packets that might result in it... but, that wouldn't be much of anything really, especially if you are not constantly reading/writing the shares.

APK