1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

file sharing between vista and xp

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wilson44512, Nov 3, 2010.

1. wilson44512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have these 2 pc sitting next to each other. and was wondering if i can share files with each other using some kind of cable?

i do have them wired to a router but i cant get that way to work

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Wired to the router is all you need. Setting up network file sharing is all you need.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Make sure the workgroup names are the same on both. XP defaulted to MSHOME and Vista went back to WORKGROUP (if I recall correctly).
  4. wilson44512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i tried every thing on this web site, and every thing went good on the XP PC but ran into trouble with the vista machine. let me try to explain
    http://www.intel.com/learn/practical-advice/wireless/share-files-between-computers
    for 1 there aint a share tab on the folders properties. but when i right click on the folder it doe s have a place called share. so when i click on that the file sharing window open. so i set that up and hit share. another pop up window opens and it says "Your folder can not be shared."

and when i go into the file and sharing center. and change the public folder sharing. and click on apply. i get a popo up saying "the rpc server is unavailable" i checked in the services and its set on automatic and its started.:(
  5. wilson44512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    cant i just run a USB cable to both PC
  6. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Between two PCs with Vista and 7, I've heard somewhere that it is doable, if (at least) one of the PCs has XP, it isn't. Best go with the shared folder trough the network, I have one and it works. The folder is based on a PC with WinXP and is sharing stuff with two PCs with Vista installed.