1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

File Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by BestSax, Mar 14, 2009.

1. BestSax New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a handy site I can read regarding file sharing across my home network?

I have a laptop for work that is a part of a different workgroup.

I have 2 desktop computers on the same workgroup. They all have different user names and accounts.

One Desktop (of the 2) is running xp pro, and the other xp home.

I want to be able to file share documents without opening them up to Everyone, and that seems to be the only way I can gain access to the files.

I wanted to make it so that you would need to provide a user name and password that matched the computer you were trying to access the files’ user account. At work, that is what happens when I try to access a network drive because my laptop’s user name is different then what they gave me to access the network. A dialog box appears, I put in my network name and I’m in.

I appreciate your help.
  2. Akumos

Akumos

Thanks Received:
    Ermmm, where are the files stored? Server or one of the machines you listed?

Should be easy enough to help you through the forum, you may not need a help site.
  3. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah give us a little more info on your set up. I have three machines networked at home and file sharing is a breeze.
    BestSax says thanks.
  4. BestSax New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you!

I actually got it to work. I used the old C$ thing to get to my machines. \\Computer Name\C$\etc...
  5. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can map the machines drives to eachother also. Thats what I did makes it a lot easier if I want to upgrade some software I can just drop it in the drives.