1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

File Storage Server Prototype

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by NamesDontMatter, May 16, 2006.

1. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Alright guys, I'm making a prototype machine here, I would like to use some version of linux to run my storage server. I'd like for it to be able to handle up to 6TB of storage. Also I would like to use a version of linux that is vary stable and can interact well with a windows/mac home networks. What would you suggest?
  2. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Interaction with Windows > Samba, comes with most Linux distributions as far as I know. Then again you could also use any FTP server.

Start with Suse or something, quite user friendly.
  3. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Ok great thanks. I'll give that a try
  4. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Ok well I got Suse 10.1 got it to install, but unfortunatly it froze up on hardware configuration.

I have a HP Motherboard (This server is a bunch of random left over parts haha)
    celeron 2.36 ghz
    1024mb DDR Ram

I had to shut it down sine it was sitting on the hardware config page for 30 mins, no it says no OS found. So do I try again, or do I try ubuntu ? Thanks
  5. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try Fedora or Ubuntu, I think Ubuntu is supposed to be the most flexible for hardware.
  6. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    trying now :)
  7. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Omg I <3 Linux!!!!

P.S. This is my first ever time using linux, and POSTING WITH LINUX!!!
  8. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which did you decide on? Ubuntu? I've only just started using it myself but I'm beginning to get the hang of it a little.
  9. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Ubuntu :) it's amazing!
  10. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Ok well I've been playing with linux and I really like it so far. I'm having trouble getting ubuntu filesharing working. I have no problems getting files off other computers on my home network. How do I view (read/write) my linux HD from other computers? I have the home network set for the standard MSHOME (no password). I'm still confused on samba configuration. Also does my partition have to be NTFS to share or can I share off of root partition too?

-Thanks
  11. RMcLeod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately windows doesn't recognise linux files, there maybe third party software that can do this for you.
  12. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You might be able to do it using a FAT32 partition I think. Linux can't write to NTFS. I'm can't get Linux networking at all at the moment so I can't help much (I think it's because of a firewall somewhere!).