1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Filezilla download problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by frankie827, Nov 2, 2010.

1. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone,
    I've been trying to download a large file(about 6gb) with filezilla through my ftp server(running filezilla) at home while I'm at college. Unfortunately, it always seems to give me this message while I'm around 30% done saying that the file exists. I've tried the skip, overwrite, and resume options, but it always resets. How do I get around this problem? Can I just not download a file that big?

thanks in advance

2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    In theory there is no max file size for FTP. Problem is lots of clients will only take a max file size up to 2.2gb. Might want to split the file into 4+ rars to make sure it transfers. Hope this helps.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You should be able to download files that large. It sounds like the connection is dying and being reset, and since the file is already there it is asking you want to do.

You should be able to go into the Filezilla Client's properties and set the default action to resume. That should fix the issue.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I'll try that and let you know if it happens again. At the same time, I'm going to try and compress the file into parts using winrar and just download the smaller files one by one. I was thinking about 700mb.

5. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, well I tried hitting resume and setting it to default to resume, but it just starts all over again. I tried hitting resume when it did that for smaller files, and it worked perfectly. Right now I think I'm just going to download it separately as parts. But if anyone has an answer to my problem, that would be amazing.

6. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    there is surely a better answer.
    but i can't think of it. as far as winrar - use store (no compression) - unless it's a giant text/dat file compression will give you no real gain - but store will allow you to split it , and it will rar and unrar faster....

7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I don't know, I use pretty much the same setup, Filezilla Server and FileZilla client, and have download 10GB+ files with it. There might be a setting somewhere in the server that is preventing the file from resuming, or maybe even something in the client.

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. frankie827 New Member

Thanks Received:
    could it have to do with my college's network being a b****?