1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Games' started by entropy13, Jan 25, 2012.

1. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Although most of the new games were lackluster games to say the least, the series is now 25 years old.

Oh I forgot to add, Kupo.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    All I want is an official rerelease of the original NES Final Fantasy. I would pay money for that.

freakshow says thanks.
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    For some reason i was never a fan of FF series. Only trhing that i've ever done is watch the movie. CG was incredible and it was sort of interesting. I do remember however that FF graphics were always incredible.

4. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I had a lot of fun playing FF games until X came out. I couldn't get into any of them since. My buddy has XIII just chillin' for the Xbox at his house, I may borrow it so I don't have to waste any money.

5. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    The only "main" games I've played were VII, VIII and IX. Then the two Dissidia games for the PSP.

6. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Same here, I through IX and Tactics. Somewhere around here is my memory card with a 99hr Tactics save.

7. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    X was the break point for me.

The characters had become insane emo parodies. The story's culminations was...disappointing... The tasks to get ultimate weapons became grueling rather than a fun challenge. I can't honestly say there were any improvements beyond graphical prowess. None of this even mentions the WTF that was blitzball...

Played XIII. Massively disappointed at the artificial level caps, way too restrictive story, and general mechanics of the weapons system.

It seems as though IX was the last game true to the initial FF structure, and all subsequent ones try to "improve" more than refine the series. Dang, now I'm jones'in for some of Vivi's Black magic antics.

Here's hoping XIV figures things out.... Hopefully...

8. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Wish they would release some of this for PC. I know there's an iphone app for FF1. I'd love FF12 or 13 on PC

9. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    There's actually an app for Android where you can get some PS1 games. I tried FF7, but became a little too choppy, so I had to get rid of it :(

FF 7, 8, and 10 for me...thats it. So far, 8 is my favorite. I actually just got 7 for my aging PS2 which it can play thankfully. Unlike the NON-backwards compatible PS3 :banghead:

10. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Some caps I took the last time I played VII on PC, with fan-made patches (initial release was a bit buggy) and graphics mods.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Richieb0y, stuartb04 and Cold Storm say thanks.
  11. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    FF7 and FF8 were on PC, PC having an extra disc for install. FF6 (aka FF3) and FF4 were awesome imo in the SNES, FF7 was okay, FF8 was kinda meh, but liked FF9 mostly :)
    FFX...ugh never liked it and i stopped playing FF ever since then.

still remember replayin em on ePSXe PS1 emulator hehe.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Richieb0y and Jizzler say thanks.
  12. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I really got hooked on playing rpg's when 7 came out.. 6 was the bread winner for me wanting to play them... But, wasn't for them doing 7 was I wanting to replay and play all them that I never did... Glad I did.. I love 8 and love how they did 9 like they did... X gave me a reason to play but it wasn't the same... and I bought both XII and XIII... but they sat on the system after 10h of play...

So.. 25 years... they give us XIII-2.... all my hope is riding on Xv....

13. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Everything from 7 on killed the series for me. I liked playing Final Fantasy, not watching 20 minute cutscenes and 5 minute attack sequences. FF1 still rules the roost.

14. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Cant wait for my FF13-2 played demo yesterday gameplay is improved a bit from my point of view. One more thing did they cancel FF13 versus or what? because it disaapiered from shops preoder lists couple months ago. PSN network got discounts on all FF games so grab it while its hot

15. stuartb04

stuartb04

Thanks Received:

yea i got these mods
    thanks for reminding me that i have the game on my pc!!!lol

16. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I'd kill for a Final Fantasy 7 remake, with the way things are going for their games I think a remake will sell way more than a new Final Fantasy title. They should have left the game at FF-X and moved on to making a different game as I know for all the hardcore fans out there that they have left their hearts at FF 1 to 10. I know that Square are more than capable since Kingdom Hearts made a killing which I loved story/gameplay wise because despite the Disney characters the story and journey itself was somewhat mature and dark along the way just like an FF game. Just let FF die in peace Square-Enix, no-one likes beating on a dead horse even if it was a winner.

17. Samdbugman

Thanks Received:
    i still have ff 1, the stratagey guide and the nintendo it was played on. lol the first rpg i played was dragon warrior for the nintendo (a game made by enix). i bought a playstation because ff was only released on it. i still have the strategy guide, game, playstation, and the memory cards. the game caught my wifes attention and she played ff 7 for hours and hours. her final battle takes over 90 minutes to fight but she kills sepiroth without all the extras that i had. the wife and i played ff 11 for 3 years, and i now am playing the cluster***k that is ff 14.::toast:

18. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I think XII and XIII were absolute garbage. I really enjoyed X, but clearly I'm in the minority there. I also still cannot figure out why they named XI and XIV the way they did. Why not just call the damn game FFO (Final Fantasy Online) or something to that extent? The number scheme is all sorts of ridiculous now -.-

19. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    For me FF13 is absolute top game. Better than i played before like, ff14, ff11, ff1, ff7, and ff6,they dont stand near to ff13, but i guess cant blame you for hating games witch other likes. :)

cheesy999 says thanks.
  20. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I really enjoyed FF12. It had a MMORPG feel to it and the no combat-bubble fighting was great.

21. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    Never played ff12, but liked music from game:) Dont know why everydony hates cutscenes, for myselft i would not play game without any cutscenes, hate to read boring texts.But everyone got its own tastes :) So its a bit silly to argue about it, but its not forbidden to say your thoughts.

22. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you there

I got FF13 last week and it's one of the best games (Gameplay and graphics and sound) i've seen in a very long time

23. crazyeyesreaper

crazyeyesreaper Chief Broken Rig

Thanks Received:
    most people that played FF games tend to enjoy the expansive world and secrets to discover

FF13 felt like i was running down a straight corridor fighting enemies, there wasnt that feeling of exploration etc

in FF7 as you explore the world map you could find Vincents love and the Mother to Sephiroth, as you travel you can find a giant snake impaled on a tree by Sephiroth, secret bosses and actual fun mini games, etc,

FF8 you had a guardian system that allowed for alot of customization to characters, a far more interesting weapon upgrade system, again secret locations and bosses, and special scenes. you had two lead characters with very different approaches to how they delt with problems, with a bunch of twists and turns.

FF9 was even more so like the above

FF10 was alright best character was Auron, drunken swordsmen for the win but regardless series went a bit backwards, no more world map to explore just a single path to follow around for the most part to locations, no real secret locations,

FF 13 linear and stale, captured nothing of the older games appeal, out of some 20 friends wit the game, none of them bothered to finish, i borrowed it before i sold my PS3 to play it through and did not enjoy it, as of now no one has FF13 anymore all got traded in, bought other games. I can see how others like it, but i actually have an attention span that lasts awhile, so being spoon fed things and running down a straight corridor kinda kills the aspect of an RPG, aka Role Play Game, I dont feel like im playing a role it felt more like controlling a boring movie. that felt like it would never end.

If SquareEnix was to remake any games, FF 7 8 9 would be a good start but Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross would be far more worthy of remakes

24. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I played FF13-2 demo and can say it will be lager scale game than ff13, atleast this one got cities, you can have dialogues, information obtaining, and much more, what was laking in FF13.I giving really big hopes for it because I liked FF13 and want to see how the story unfolds further.
    Ou yes I played Chrono trigger was a nice game, but i think 2d games are not so addictive as they where back in days,but still cant say anything bad about 2d games, especially from FF series.

25. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Big FF fan. my fav series own and played every single one.