1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Final Radeon R9 290 Series Specifications Leaked

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Let's see.... Skyrim had issues with Crossfire, Fallout 3 and Vegas, I heard that Serious Sam had some problems, never played it myself, COD Black Ops 2, BC2, I heard about BF3, didn't play... Yeah, they come out with their CAP for them sometime down the road, but there are still issues that you shouldn't expect to deal with. I'm ignoring the statements of "Growing pains" and the like.

Here. You may educate yourself.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245454-33-crossfire-faqs

"The data is mirrored by both cards so two 1GB cards will still result in 1GB of VRAM being available."

So, in games like Skyrim, where VRAM is at a premium, loading large resolution packs can result in reaching your VRAM limit very quickly. A dual 2Gb card setup doesn't provide you with 4Gb of VRAM for use, you're limited to the 2Gb, since the data is mirrored on both cards.

Nice tone by the way. :nutkick:

5 Million points folded for TPU
  2. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I can understand that :) I guess the "Ooooh, shiny and new!!!!" gets to me on the 290 as opposed to the "Rebranded??:confused: " :ohwell: I did miss that the 280X was running cheaper than the comparable 7970's, so I guess I may have to re-eval that one... it's probably going to end more in my range than the 290x. And all my irritation at miserable XFire support out of the box aside, I'll be looking hard to try to grab a pair of whatever I get next year. *cheers* :toast:

*edit*
    Did a little quick search, and found this article. this is the TL;DR version

Price when rated: $299 (as opposed to the almost $400 tag on the comparable 7970)

Pros
    Very fast performance with AAA games.
    EyeFinity can now use HDMI and DVI, as well as DisplayPort

Cons
    Not new architecture: This is a tweaked Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
    Memory runs at reference-design spec

I especially like the HDMI/DVI EyeFinity change, as I just got my third monitor, and lacking a DP, I'm doing the adapter dance, and it's erratic as crap...:shadedshu

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    5 Million points folded for TPU
  3. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:

280X is basicly a HD 7970 card so...
    290 is the new power card
    290X is so hardcore its out of this world