1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Finally upgraded!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rtwjunkie, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I was one of those who had stayed on Core2 Quad till last week, thinking my QX9650 @ 3.5Ghz on a P5Q-Deluxe was fast enough. WOW!! I upgraded to the MB and cpu in my sig this wkd and all I can say is WTH was I thinking? Within 3 clicks I had the 1866 memory profile enabled and the 2600k overclocked to 4Ghz. All the work I used to to to try an overclock is a relic compared to what this new architecture and the UEFI can do! I only ran super-Pi as a benchmark so far (and shaved 4.4 seconds off my old 1M time) since reinstalling windows, but it just plain feels faster and snappier...and runs cooler as well! I only have to say...what was I thinking holding out so long?!
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    hehe, nice one. You can use your old rig as a server or something now.

My 2700K runs at 4.7GHz 24/7 with all the power saving features turned off and it's blisteringly fast. :D
  3. InnocentCriminal

InnocentCriminal Resident Grammar Amender

Thanks Received:
    I can't wait to upgrade but with all my money sucked up with bills it's going to be a long time yet.

:(

Well done on the new rig though.
  4. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks qubit! I also didn't like the powersaving, with the power up and power down, and just decided that even keeping it overclocked fulltime I would use less energy than I was using with the older architecture. I'm happy! Once I get all my game links re-established I may go and see how much more I can safely OC it. I'm happy with 4Ghz right now though, as I have yet to see any of the 4 cores go above 45C...they are all idling at about 30.
    qubit says thanks.
  5. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I've already got a great server running, so my old MB and CPU are going to be the final two pieces of my HTPC in a nice wooden case. Kinda overpowered, yes, but I'm nostalgic....I don't want to completely part with that QX9650. I guess that's why I kept it so long.
  6. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks InnocentCriminal! Youve got a great system still, I just got that itch and I finally had to scratch it. My son still has his Q9450, and he is very happy with it. I wish I had gotten him your 9550 though, bc the 9450 OC like a dog. :(