1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Finishing an i5 build, what is left?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by johnspack, Mar 4, 2013.

1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Got my client a 3570k cpu, a z77 mobo, 16mbs ram, 1 tb wd black hd, a 14x bluray burner, a gtx660ti video card, a 850w hx corsair psu, a fractal design r4 case, a 24" hd monitor for under 1600can with our 12% tax, and a lot of shipping charges. I know you can get stuff cheaper in the states, please don't reiterate that. We can't up here, period. I'm just trying to figure out what else would help him out the most for the least amount of cost. And no, ssds don't do that. He will have to live with this system for a long time. What will he need?
    And currently he plays Diablo2 on a pentium D, and is happy with that.
  2. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Oh, and I already know I have to buy usb keyboards ect now for this... no dam ps2 ports. He wasn't expecting that. I'm wondering what else....
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    After-market heatsink? Even if your client doesn't OC the system, it should help with making the system quiet. Also, you don't really need a 850 watt PSU for a single GPU system. You could save some money going with a good 500-600 watt PSU. Along with the new KB, a new USB mouse(Logitech G500 is my recommenedation). Second hard drive and set up raid so he'll have close to SSD speeds(not sure why you think a SSD would not fit in the build)?
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU 1 Million points folded for TPU
  4. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    Try to cut some courners and get a 120gb ssd in there for OS and other programs. Thats a must have and quite a improvement over a normal HDD.
  5. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    I used to like the WD black drives but due to their popularity, they are a bit overpriced now. I like the drives but not the prices.
    CPU cooler? we all know the stock cooler is laughable ivy bridge can run hot. Add the fractal case to that and you got a temp problem. With a case like that, I would suggest a closed loop water cooling set up to dump the heat outside the case.
    You don't need 850W PSU. You don't even need 650. 500W is alll you need even if you do some OC.
    Use amazon and get the trial 1 month amazon prime. It's free 2-day shipping on anything that comes out of amazon warehouses.

This thread just sounds awfully familiar to another thread. Is this a repost?
    Do you build systems regularly? There's too many flaws in this set up.
  6. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    get a 120gb SSD,ditch the 1TB caviar black and put in a 2TB green instead.(and see if you can bump the gpu to a 670)
  7. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    how about getting some on those 650-750 psu range. silver rated...

8gb ram....120gb ssd and a 1tb wdc black....