1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FIOS Internet Pros/Cons

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Oct 9, 2007.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I initially thought lowly of FIOS because a friend of mine is a retard He had told me he signed up for their 20mbps/5 package and I was confused why I was getting about 9k kbps and he would get around 5k. His father was the one to actually make the call and place the order, and picked the wrong internet package, which would explain why neither of us was very impressed with FIOS. So I was gonna get their triple play package, which says its $95 a month. Right now between my cable, phone and internet bill I pay about $220, so this should be good, though for that "starting price" I don't think its the internet package I want, I'll likely end up paying more but it'll still be cheaper than 220.

Anywho I had a couple of questions for the smart people around here. If you sign up for a one year contract the installation is free and they supply you with a free wireless router, will I need new PCI wireless ethernet cards for the computers in my house or can they be used? I have a linksys router and cards right now. Also I was wondering if Verizon FIOS TV has a DVR-like box? This is the only thing my mom wanted me to make sure we get, she must record her Dr. Phil.

Also does FIOS perform to its rated specs? A friend of mine had Verizon DSL and it was the most horrible experience of his life. He was getting 800kbps downstream (Supposed to get 3k) and getting jerked around from Verizon saying "there wasn't a problem", then sending people to his house and telling him he needed a new modem and had to pay himself, he did and it didn't help and more and more excuses. Thanks for all the info, switching services makes me uneasy sometimes but if its better and cheaper I don't see why I shouldn't switch. Also they boast FIOS TV is clearer, is this noticable on standard televisions? Also is it noticable on HDTV's? I'm the only one in the house with an HDTV though and use it as my monitor, but would be curious to know if it'll have a better quality picture.

Sorry for the long post and barrage of questions, any info would be appreciated. I'll be asking these to Verizon tomorrow but their offices were closed tonight cause of the holiday, plus info from actual customers is usually more helpful anyway.