1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Firefall

Discussion in 'Games' started by FordGT90Concept, Jun 12, 2013.

1. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So, is the game actually worth my investment of time? I picked it up to fill in the gaps between Space Engineer sessions. Do you see it being worthwhile?

2. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well yes ... i picked it up to fill between sessions of SWTOR and FFXIVARR but i ended playing it quite intensely (it was my idea after beta to play like that altho during closed and open i did enjoy playing it a lot)

3. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    You misunderstand Ford. I am talking about how enemies are red and friendlies are green, you can see them through any object. This is automatic and exclusive of the SIN targeting.

[​IMG]

If you think there's enough to do in the game, then I am happy for you, but the lack of content in general exacerbates the issue of open world events. I shouldn't have to rush from one end of a map to the other just because they can't increase the activity levels in the zone.

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Oh, you're talking for the jobs? I think it is good they do that so you know which enemies you have to kill for your job. More than one person can be doing missions in the same place and it gets confusing which targets are actually yours.

Outside of jobs, I think the color is based on its level relative to yours with green being below and red being above. I'm not 100% sure though because it could also be based on the type of enemy.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I get why they did it, but given that so much of the content we do now is job based (because we're back to the level progression system), it's like everything I do has christmas colors floating around my screen.

Outside of jobs, I'll have to check.

I'm constantly peppering them with feedback saying please let us toggle this feature!

6. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Not a bad game but you need a good CPU to run it, so the game looks and plays like crap for me lol. so i just stick with defiance.

7. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well my FX-6300 gave me "so-so" result (depending where i was: crowded area or not) as for your rig well might not be only the CPU the culprit but also the GPU :( i was able to play Firefall, by reducing some settings, on a HP7900 with C2D E8500 4gb XMS2 800 and a R7 240, at full settings on the same C2D E8500 and a R9 290 and also on a Phenom X4 9600B @2.6 + a GTX460 1gb
    ofc they all gave me minimum fps under the FX-6300, now that i swaped to a i5-4690K it's all smooth, even a 2500K or 3750K would suffice ofc and for gpu a 750Ti or a 270X could do more than fine (since the 760 cost near the price of a 280X where i am and a 770 is on par with the 290 :roll: ) if reducing a bit some settings.
    and my actual rig did even cost me less than the HP Pavillon Phenom II X6 + 8gb+a crappy GT405 i had back in 2011

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    u2konline says thanks.
  8. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I haven't had any problems playing on my Core i7 920 and HD 5870. I'm using default settings.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Fun fact, if you've opted into the Steam Beta, Firefall will not load. You'll get an r5dumper.exe crash. Solution is to opt out. Apparently some Steam beta patch broke it somehow.

10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Wouldn't be the first time but good to know.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. takomako

Thanks Received:
    hello guys i've been playing firefall about 2 months now and i have a problem with graphics. randomly the game freezes for 1-2 sec for no reason anybody knows some fix/solution? thnx!!!

ps ford i don't know how to send pm in tpu, my nickname is takomako ingame and i'm looking for army to do raids and stuff.

12. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    anything running in background? because i never had this when i ran FF on a X4 760K + 270X let alone with the 6300 and 290

idk: i am active, the rest isn't that much :D and raid ... pah not interesting (well for me tho) i am sure we have a place for you :) (i play mostly alone only sometime i have a random player in some mission when i launch them, specially M7,M8)

ps: sendind a PM ... just left click on the name and click "start a conversation" on the popup that appear

13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I get that when transitioning from one area of the map to another, especially when on a bike. I think it hasn't been doing it so much since moving the game to my 3 TB drive (100+ MB/s read/write)

I invited you to the TPU army. You should see it next time you log in if you haven't already.

@GreiverBlade: Wanna take over as army leader? He whom plays the most would best serve that role.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    strange my FF install is on a Sata2 Samsung 7200rpm 500gb and no slowdown, oh wait ... no it's on my 120gb Vertex III SSD ... that might explain why i never had any problems like that ... (my bad)

well i play nearly 8 other mmo's alongside FF i can't say i play the most. (shame on me i retook WoW to see what WoD will bring ... and i have 5 90 to gear plus some reroll to take care >.< luckily i am not in a "industrial factory" type of guild)

also :D 2 week and 4 days left before my holidays in spain to see my parents (after 4yrs of jobs ... i surely deserve some holidays ;) ) so i can say i am half as usual on my PC :)

15. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    TPU Army?? I didn't know we had an army :( Who can I hit up for an invite??

5 Million points folded for TPU
  16. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Invite sent and I promoted GreiverBlade to Officer so he can kick/invite now too.

stinger608, GreiverBlade and Ahhzz say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    according to that decision, if someone playing FF need a TPU invite now you can also PM me anytime.
    (or /w me ingame if you see me online.)

18. stinger608

stinger608 Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder

Thanks Received:
    Well there goes the front line. :roll:

GreiverBlade and Ahhzz say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  19. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    I patched up the other day and man do those new nest events kill my frame rate. I'm all alone standing in front of one and getting about 35, then people show up and explosions ensue, leaving me at 15-20. If I turn away from the pods and green mist, I go back to 50+ while in heavy battle.

Going to try this command I found for particle culling:
    setsave fx.globalFillRateFactors 0.05 5

In the meantime I've noticed that when on the bike, I lose around five - twenty frames. What's that all about?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  20. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    FordGT90Concept, Ahhzz and stinger608 say thanks.
  21. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Had to run to the Big City for a family issue, made it back with 10 minutes to spare to get my hour in :) Almost to 40 with my first, hope to hit it tonite, and pick out my second "special" battleframe. Wondering about the Firecat.... it's pretty expensive these days... I've managed 15 on my raptor, and he's just too squishy for me, so I want to take something that has a little more life expectancy. I had planned on the nighthawk, but I think I'll table that for a later acquisition.
    Any recommendations?

22. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    It's hard to say, a lot changed in the past year alone. My understanding is Firecat is still the most popular pure assault frame. I would recommend Bastion Engineer if you're into soloing but they nerfed it pretty bad. Electron is pretty cool and even a standard Engineer has some neat perks for group play.
    You ever checked out Biotech line of frames? Recluse are good, lots of damage, dots, and can always double up as a pure healer or damage/healer hybrid making you good for all kinds of situations.

Ahhzz says thanks.
  23. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I realized a bit late that you actually are allowed a day or two (I don't know how long) to test the other 'frames. If I had known, I would have started with a few of those, instead of leveling the Recon. I thought about the firecat, the bastion, or maybe one of the Biotechs. I've got the Raptor, and thought I'd get the Nighthawk next, but they're just squishy as crap....

24. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Looks kinda like tribes... Does it play like tribes? Might have to try it if so.

25. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

My initial reaction was "No!".... then I thought about jump jets, and shooting from the air....

and then, I remembered: No Skiing. And no CTF... it's a storyline. So, no, it doesn't play like tribes. It is, however, free. And there are different classes and weapon loadouts.... Only 2 basic vehicles at this point: a 2-person jeep/car/atv and a single person motorcycle/Tron-cycle. You won't get the Tron-mobile until level 25 (for a short quest), unless you buy it earlier (real money), however it is then usable under any battleframe you equip on that account. So, get one frame to level 25, and use it on all the rest, all the way thru.

You have an inventory, and management is easy early on, until you realize you're holding onto weapons for up to 16(I think?) classes, and 40 levels is max right now, so a lot of junk, just assuming weapons, abilities, and the "cores" {mods} for each. Then, throw in "salvage" material, one-use and multi-use equip like launch pads, jump pads, "scan" hammers (for mining), health kits, grenades, etc, etc, ad nauseum. There's a lot of stuff.

It's more like Diablo 2, in sci-fi. With motorcycles. And lasers...and aliens...and no duping... yet :)

stinger608 says thanks.