1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Firefox 8 64 bit Windows 7 64 bit

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Captain.Abrecan, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I usually have a lot of tabs open in Firefox, at home. I have pinned tabs for work that never close, usually a whole tab bar full of them (30-35). A little of this is timesheet related, the rest is document control vault and active project directories and libraries. Some of them are full-blown java applications that run in the browser and slow it to a crawl.

So when I start browsing for something other than work I am experiencing crashes with firefox that are caused by lack of memory for the 32 bit application.

I was wondering, when Firefox 8 comes out, are they going to include a 64 bit version? Also, will it actually use the memory I have available, allowing me to keep lots of stuff running in the browser.

I thought that someone here probably has tried or is working on the 64 bit nightly builds, and might be able to tell me more about flash and java compatibility, also memory usage.

2. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    It already exists. It's called Shiretoko (search Mozilla.org).

There is Java compatability, but it isn't much special about it. The fact that it isn't well known should indicate how well it is supported...

Captain.Abrecan says thanks.
  3. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    The nightly 9.0 bulds are 64-bit, but it crashed on launch when I tried it last month.

Captain.Abrecan says thanks.
  4. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
  5. Captain.Abrecan

Captain.Abrecan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I'm going to have to test this out when I have some free time. I hope it works ok

6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think something mainstream like Firefox really should move to a native 64-bit version as the primary version. I believe there's enough systems running 64-bit software now out there to make this viable. You then wouldn't see the stupid memory problems that you do.

It almost looks like Microsoft did too good a job with the WOW emulator, doesn't it? lol