1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Firefox 9 BS - all my tabs are gone!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by qubit, Dec 22, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I think Mozilla are so concerned in upping their bloody version numbers that they've forgotten about product quality lately.

Why am I so pissed off? Because in FF8, I had something like 20 tabs open that I would keep there for days and even weeks. I upgraded to FF9 the other day and everything was good. Started it up this morning and it crashed on startup, showing a blank window with a bit of display corruption at the top. I waited for a bit, but it didn't sort itself out, so I had to kill it with Task Manager. When I started it again, all the bloody tabs were gone, apart from one showing my homepage.

WTF? :banghead:

To compound the problem, the options are still set to show windows and tabs from last time. However, if I open up more tabs, it still only starts up with that hometab only. Changing this configuration option, saving it and then setting it back again doesn't f* help! :mad:

I saw this just before I went to work this morning, so I've not had time to troubleshoot it any further. My advice to people is to stick with FF8 for the time being until Mozilla patch this, if they do. I might well try downgrading it tonight.

EDIT: Note that the tabs had survived multiple browser restarts and system reboots before this happened, so it's not a "compatibility issue". It's just a serious bug.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    So you lost open tabs from an old version. You consider the save state of the browser not being compilable with the new version enough reason not to upgrade? Ok...

Given, I see no reason to upgrade in the first place.
  3. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps I should have clarified that the tabs had remained there over multiple restarts since I upgraded. No, this crash and inability to set the option now are nothing but serious bugs that should not have been there.
  4. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    Well you've only got 2 options

1:Carry on using the old version (which is identical as Firefox versions no longer mean anything at all)
    2:Use a different browser (it's not as if there's a shortage of alternatives)
    qubit says thanks.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    isnt there a button at the bottom in the new version, 'restore last session' ? its there in FF8
  6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    You are all a bunch of crazies. I am sitting with my good ole FF3.6
  7. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Hey my tabs came back!

Yup, seriously. I started my PC on my return from work, ran Firefox and this time I got the restore last session screen that Mussels asked about. It showed all my missing tabs and when I told it to just open everything, the whole lot was there and working fine. :)

So, what probably happened the first time? I reckon the PC's reboot must have cleared the problem. Interestingly, Firefox also wanted to upgrade to v9.01, which I let it do. Turns out that it's a stability update, where Firefox can become unstable with certain addons... yeah, as I said in the OP, it looks like Mozilla are more interested in version numbers than putting out quality code.

Note that I never had a message telling me that some addons had to be disabled for either of these updates and I have quite a few plugins installed.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Meh it'll happen. Also "unstable with certain addons" raises the question if it's the addons or the browser itself that is a problem. And you'll get the same problem with every other browser out there as well if something bad happens, which it can.
  9. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the addons may have done it, perhaps. I have a feeling that when it crashed and I killed it and then restarted it, that there was actually an instance of it running, but with no windows showing. That could have mimicked "lost tabs". I was rushing out of the house at that point, so had no time to properly troubleshoot it.
  10. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    No, you crazy!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5260/firefox-9-released-brings-javascript-speed-improvements

digibucc says thanks.
  11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    This is something I've had problems with since 4.0 or something. Very often on exit there's a hidden instance running that is not responding. I don't save my tabs so I don't know but I imagine that can have something to do with it.
  12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
  13. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't worry too much about stability problems, as the performance and feature benefits outweigh the few times you'll see these problems. This kind of "safe" thinking is what can cause one to stick with say, Windows 2000, using it in only a limited way, all in the name of stability. You lose so much by doing this it's just not worth it.

And as you can see, Mozilla very quickly patched this issue.

Why don't you install them side by side and go back to the old one if you're really unhappy with the latest version? It's free software and you've got nothing to lose. :toast:
  14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe next time save the bunch of tabs then update ?.
  15. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Look, I "know everything" about computers - you shouldn't be telling me that! qubit is indignant

Unfortunately one is too lazy and lives dangerously instead. :eek: And no, I still haven't backed them up. :laugh:
  16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    And you wounder why companys try to make apps with less as possible clicks lol.. 2-3 clicks ? would of saved them hehe.

Well i am sure you learned your lesson ( using FF ) but will continue the ride of the razer blade.
    qubit says thanks.
  17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I really should use Mozbackup (I do have it installed for migrations and the occasional backup). What a fantastic free program. :)

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
  18. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    What extra features? I kind of like the old school layout its simple and easy to use. I can use all of the addons I need. Functionality is the same. Speed is the same to me I have IE9 have used opera and chrome and always seem to dump back to the old firefox.