1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Firefox is the worst browser ever

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by u2konline, Feb 11, 2009.

1. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    and then we have the extreme opposite - I use IE and rarely (if ever) have my AV software running, or a firewall up while browsing . . . and never experieince problems.

Although, you're very much correct about the shtoopids out there - what keeps me clean is keeping everythin updated. If I'm heading into the bowels of the net, the firewall and AV software does go up. Routine system checks to catch any potential infections before it becomes an issue.

And very true as well IE7 (and IE8 RC) are by-far superior to IE6 ever was. But it all boils down to common sense . . . which most users don't seem to have.

Even still - all the people that say IE isn't safe, and that these "open-source" browsers are more secure . . . I think it's funny how easily malware can be written for these browsers, considering it is open source, the programmers have access to the original code - which we all know what doors that opens for them. At least with IE, there's only one company that has the original source code, and they won't be forking it over any time soon.

It's the equivalent of giving malware programmers a Webster's Abriged pocket Dictionary, or giving them an Oxford multi-volume Unabridged Dictionary . . . which is more useful, y'know?

2. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    extensions? I don't know.

new windows? i don't use tabs. Anyways, in seamonkey for example, i may open up one tab, then open up another one to download something, then open up another one and download something else, or go to a music page, etc. I tend to open up alot of them.

But the thing with firefox and seamonkey. Seamonkey the processes size doesn't seem to go over 200,000k. But with firefox, it shoots up to over 400,000 near 500,00 sometimes. Firefox just seems more powerful then seamonkey.

But i never had this issue with firefox when i was using Xp , only seems to affect w2k. Either way, i will use firefox again , the older version when i get my new rig

3. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say Linux+Opera. Also get used to tabbed browsing.
    Extensions are addons like skins etc.
    Firefox is a very good browser which is why it is gaining popularity. What you are doing is like asking super man to fight bad guys without taking power from the sun :ohwell:

4. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    I like Firefox for everyday browsing do it all default, havent installed opera yet but it was good when i did use it, i use safari if i get pissed off at youtube freezing occasionally, cause safari pwns youtube, and Internet explorer is allways there for me when i need to download firefox =D

5. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh see thats the problem there, you might as well just use an old IE that has no tabbing, thats the main point in the other browsers so you can use the tabs. It saves time, and memory, couse you dont have to reopen a brand new Seamonkey or whatever to look at a new thing, you just open another tab.

Try to use tabbing it saves you on memory and speed, and id say you might as well stick with seamonkey since it runs ok on yours? I did a quick test and i found a tab used half the amout of ram then it did by opening up a hole new browser ;)

6. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    hmmmmm, i will try it again, but i am going back to using firefox 2.0. I never had any issues with that version. Thanks/peace

7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Naw, it's mostly because DirectX is a Microsoft product and Microsoft doesn't offer DirectX for Mac. Pretty much all game developer studios out there have unlearned everything except DirectX so that's why their number one choice is Windows. They leave it to third party studios to translate DirectX -> OpenGL along with other platform specifics.

The small market share makes the publisher of the software not willing to pursue release on the platform.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    honestly I can say I've never gotten a virus as a direct result of using IE. I don't even get viruses from being at booby sites. I've only gotten viruses 3 ways before:
    1. going to crappy crack websites
    2. limewire, which is a total pos so I don't use it anymore
    3. not checking something before I download it

I have never been inflicted by an email virus because I never get virus spam and even if I did I would recgonize it and trash it. I don't click on stupid flashing banners, dumb tests or flat stomach rules.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    Have you ever seen those warning messages in google

" this site may harm your computer "

When i first install windows XP home edition last year, i went to one of those sites and i had to reinstall windows over again. Thats pretty much the only time i got a nasty virus. My desktop turn blue, with a big yellow virus sign, i couldn't do anything lol

10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, when I see that warning I don't go there. I don't go to any websites that may harm my computer according to google.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Drizzt5

Drizzt5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Chrome FTW

I hate firefox tbh, i tried using it a lot and I just think it's a crappy browser.

12. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    oli_ramsay is the smartest man alive.

Couldn't help but laugh when someone asked who needs more than 11 tabs open at once. Right now I have around 90 or 100 open.

13. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    I agree with oli_ramsey, Opera will work fine on those specs, it runs perfectly on my laptop.
    I've tried firefox, it lags on my laptop.

14. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Just use google chrome. It will work perfectly on your PC. Much faster also.

Drizzt5 says thanks.
  15. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Firefox is not standalone and it does not run on solar calculators.

16. Drizzt5

Drizzt5 New Member

Thanks Received:
    /thread

17. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    Yea. OP Don't blame firefox for being slow when your computer is obviously the problem here.

Not that you can just go get a new machine on the spot but... I can have easily 50+ tabs and not even flinch.