1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Firefox use passes 23 percent in Europe

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mozilla Firefox has continued its rapid growth this year, with 23.2% of European web surfers opting to use the browser, according to research by French Firm Xiti Monitor. Slovenia leads the way with 40% of users choosing to use Firefox, whilst it has the lowest proportion of fans in Spain where only 13.7% use it. Germany is relatively high with 33% whilst Britain is still below average with 15.8%. Apparently Firefox is used more at the weekends, suggesting that businesses probably stick to Internet Explorer whilst home users prefer Firefox. In April only 19.4% of Europeans were using Mozilla’s browser.

Source: The Inquirer
  2. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep firefox rocks
  3. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yay yay yay ff ftw!
  4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    That is a HELL of an insight & I'd also agree it is accurate as all "get out"... IE has one advantage (also its disadvantage as we all know) in ActiveX & Active Scripting + ASP/ASP.NET & Java/JavaScript capabilities usage on INTRANETS (Lan apps) (this is also present in other browsers though in JavaScript/Java @ least)... for "custom-in-house" information systems designs!

& on the public internet?

Well, personally, I TURN THOSE "FEATURES" off... but, for in-house development of webbrowser based applications that talk to databases & such? Using things like ASP.NET (I actually DO like this now)??

You cannot touch IE... especially in combination w/ SQLServer 2005 & IIS 6.x on Windows Server 2003 (all wares fully patched, including IE)... super-versatile, & great development environs for it in Visual Studio 2005!

APK

P.S.=> You guys all know I am a BIG "Opera Fan", but I do like & use FireFox 2, mainly because it is a HECK of a nice browser, & I have met their support/development team online helping them fix a bug I found @ a forums once their browser was 'bugging out' on, & I was never treated SO quickly & nicely by any development team regarding bugs found in a program... great support & FAST! apk
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  5. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    im in the US but i personally am perfectly content with IE. I have tried Firefox but i didn't notice a big difference. I have been using IE for years and it works for me.
  6. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I originally used Firefox because I liked it a little more and it was more secure. Now more people use it hackers have started aiming at Firefox as well as IE so the thing that keeps me with Mozilla is the fact that Firefox has more features, works faster for me and looks better than the shiny IE7.
  7. Mongo New Member

Thanks Received:
    It has Java built in

Firefox has been my favorite browser. It includes Java support. IE no longer does.
  8. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah but if you already have Java installed on your computer, why does it need to be built-in. Does it provide any additional performance with it built in or something?
  9. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    ie's anti phishing thing checks with databases in redmond, so for us here in the uk it can be slower, especially at busy times of day (dont know the exact situation with this, but it certainly seems slower to me)
  10. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't use the phishing filter... I don't want to send my surfing habits to M$.
  11. mout12

mout12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    obviously nobody here has tried avant browser
  12. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or maybe they just genuinely think Firefox is better, like me. After all, Avant is still based on IE, just a skin that adds some features.
  13. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Approximately 33% of users visiting my site use Firefox, so the numbers are within the article.
  14. kakazza New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do I capitalize Firefox? How do I abbreviate it?

Only the first letter is capitalized (so it's Firefox, not FireFox.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

from mozilla.com ;)
  15. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    for me personally i found firefox accumulated alot more spyware than IE but i use both as well as opera
  16. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really? I don't get any spware anymore and I only use Firefox (admittedly tracking cookies but that's it). I don't go on any dodgy sites mind, so that probably helps. What sort of spyware do you get?
  17. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    I agree, & even IE is fairly safe IF you cut off the use of ActiveX, ActiveScripting, Java, & Javascript on the PUBLIC internet... & also avoiding sites that are usually KNOWN for attempting to bushwhack folks' computers!

:)

* In a way, trying to be "POSITIVE" here about it? I think it's GOOD there are hacker/crackers out there - they force software OEMS to correct for security faults in their products, just like end users do about useability or bugs of other types!

AND, yes, even scammers are in a way, a GOOD thing!

In that they 'wise you up' in this life even IF they 'sucker you'... Fact is, I had a guy try to run $4,000 worth of forged travellers checks by me by the way recently!

(That happened a few weeks back, & I was debating on mentioning it here... all regarding purchasing my ATI 9800XT vidcard in fact... off of a free site called Postaroo.com! Talk about "phishing"...)

I called the bank & verified funds on the traveller's checks, found out they are part of a known series of forged checks!

Then I contacted the FBI & they directed me to the dept. of the treasury (or some related one) & I forwarded them ALL the emails, his cell phone #, & more etc. & they are onto this character now!

Some African dude, outta the southern U.S., so look out for him...

APK

P.S.=> It's crazy out there, but necessary imo... apk
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  18. mout12

mout12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just hate the fact that if you click a link in firefox that is supposed to open a new page, it opens an entirely new page - not just a new tab. The whole point of tabs is to not have multiple windows open which creates clutter. Avant browser keeps every page inside of 1 application of itself. On top of that, I have had no spyware or adware on my computer, and have used the internet heavily for 1 year.

Besides, the internet is developed for IE.
  19. jlewis02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it better than IE7?
  20. mout12

mout12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Avant browser is an enhancement of IE. It makes IE7 cooler than it already is.
  21. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Firefox Ftw!
  22. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You sure you got Firefox set up right? Mine opens in a new tab in the same window nearly always, very few exceptions, only things like banking sites that don't I think.
  23. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    does avant include an adblocking tool?
  24. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Adblock Plus for Firefox ftw - it now updates the adds from online servers so even now ads are blocked. Great tool, something that I wish existed in such a simple form for IE, then I'd be more likely to use it.
  25. mout12

mout12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes. The browser rocks, and it claims to be the fastest browser on earth. I believe it too. It starts up quicker than FF.