1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Firewire header to 4-pin male

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OnePostWonder, Jul 9, 2012.

1. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Here is an example of the cable (the one on your left): Firewire adapter

I'd like to find one of these cables from a more well-known seller, but searching for these on Newegg/Amazon would return mainly 6-pin to 6-pin, 4-pin to 4-pin, etc. Part of the problem is I don't know what they're called officially; some websites list the 6-pin as 9-pin to 6-pin, others list them as 10-pin to 6-pin.

Apparently usage of the cable alone isn't very common, which brings me to my last question; are the Firewire headers on motherboards mostly used by front panels and bay-fitting devices? Many of the firewire expansion cards simply use the PCI-Express slot.

Thanks in advance.
  2. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Let me check tomorrow but I think I have one of those you can have for shipping. It looks just like the picture you posted except the cables are white and not black. It came with a motherboard I bought years ago. I seen it today as I was digging through my cable drawer. I'll take a pic and post it here tomorrow evening and you can let me know if it will work for you.
    OnePostWonder says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Both. The front panel plug comes with the case. The rear slot plug comes with the motherboards. Check E bay for used ones that some one is selling. I have never seen these for sale alone
  4. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    I think they are called FireWire header brackets. I ran into a similar conundrum last week, and eBay had this, and it's been working fine for me (I will just post it for the sake of reference in case someone else stumbles upon this topic with the same question, since it sounds like someone can help you out):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120569215358?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It doesn't have the smaller adapter, but it does the trick.
  5. OnePostWonder

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good. Looking forward to the pic. :)

Thanks for the info guys.