1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Build, Baby!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by murdog, Nov 28, 2011.

1. murdog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Found you guys in some last minute webz. I'm bustin down a fat rig right now! Just grabbed the pliers, screwdriver, and wire-cutters. Got everything out on my kitchen table and floor, wife and kids are asleep, and this is what I've got in front of me:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K

MB: Asus P8Z68-V PRO

SDD: Intel Series 2 120 GB

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB

DVD: Asus 24x SVDRW SATA

PWR: Antec EarthWatts 750W

TWR: Velocity Aurora-FTC

Monitor: Samsung 23"

Cheap Logitech Keyboard, Mouse; Cheap Edifier Speakers.
    :rockout:

I'm building this thing TONITE!:banghead: You got my back?:toast: If not, at least you've got cool smilies!:roll:

The guys at Memory Express did a quick mount of the CPU and RAM. They flashed the bios as well. I'm still not clear on what that is exactly, so I was like, 'its free? Sure, go ahead!'

My computer skills are... functional. I loved electronics in high school and lego as a kid, so I figure I should be fine... right? :confused:

K enough stalling. I found you guys as a result of last minute paranoia about ESD. I'm going to wing it without a wristband. I've got a wooden table and a laminate wooden floor, and I'll touch the steel front door once in awhile. The cats have been banished to the basement. :shadedshu

Here we go!:)
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Your OS is installed in a Caviar Green?
  3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Proceed.
    Spaceman Spiff says thanks.
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Personal pet peeve of mine when people install an OS onto a hdd that is larger than 500GB. In fact, I dont see a point in a hard drive larger than 250GB or an SSD greater than 120(8)GB. Again just a personal pet peeve.

Other than that, looks like a solid build. Post pictures of the build once its finished so we can see the cable management. :)
    murdog says thanks.
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Please put the wire cutters away :eek:

Just grab the kitchen faucet to ground yourself before you start

Take your time. Just mount the basics and make sure it will post before you put everything in

Motherboard CPU Ram power supply case. Front connectors, Monitor Plug it in Power on screen should post. Shut off unplug and continue.

I agree with no large system drive. Eventually you shoud get an SSD or 7200 500Gb system drive. Use the 2Tb for data

Onboard graphics?
    murdog says thanks.
  6. murdog New Member

Thanks Received:
    K tx. I wasn't sure about the hard drive, I was set to grab an SSD to start but was convinced by my buddy and the dude at the store that I probably needed more memory. I'm thinking I can put the OS on a SSD at a later point, I'd like to have more than one drive eventually.

Kitchen faucet, good one. Tx for the advice and encouragement. That's the HD plan in a nutshell. I'll have no problem moving Windows 7 to a different drive?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by onboard graphics. This is pretty new territory for me.

UPDATE: Drank 2 cups of coffee while pulling the tower out of the box and reading the manual for it and the processor. Glad for the quick mount, that looks like delicate work with the processor.
  7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    To be perfectly honest, you dont need 16GB of memory unless you are doing some serious encoding (which is more CPU heavy anyway). Sure youll have more memory for Windows, but from what Ive seen and from what others have told me is that even though they have more than 4GB of RAM, Windows still uses what it needs. (aka wont use less if you have more memory) You would have been perfectly content with 4GB of ram and using the rest of that money towards an SSD.
  8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You didnt list a graphics card. So onboard graphics is your option. You have two PCI-e slots for graphics cards if you wanted to use them.

What do you want this thing to do?

The Intel Core i7 2600K is alot of CPU and the HDgraphics will do for most things. But with gaming it will be limited
  9. murdog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aaah yes my bad.

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB

I want to game on this, but I also want it to be able to handle a wide variety of things, as well as multiple tasks. I envision lots of data on here, photos and home movies, as well as music and movies, and programs to manipulate. I'll also likely have it hooked up to a TV eventually.

@CrAsH: I only bought all that memory because it was a pretty good deal, but you are totally right. That would have been a better move probably (less RAM more drive), but I was thinking grab the good deal now and not worry about memory later. Put the cart before the horse probably.

Update: phone call killed production. Starting to waver on getting it done tonite. Probably just a bit scared to take the motherboard out of the static bag.
  10. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    At least you did some research and got some decent parts mate. The only thing there that will really let you down is that hard drive. It is a great drive to store all your videos/music etc but very slow compared to other drives.
    The green series of drives only spin at 5900rpm therefore using less power than a std 7200rpm drive. Most hdd's(hard drives) are 7200rpm.

If I were you even if you don't have the cash for an SSD I would go back to the shop in the morning and buy the smallest 7200rpm drive they have (probably 500gb) and install windows on that. After you install windows you can then plug in the 2tb drive and windows will recognise it, you can then use it to store all your media on.

Your new pc will be very slow with a 5900rpm drive. :(

Your power supply is HUGE!! your system would run fine with a 450w. Are you planning on buying video cards and playing games or anything?
    murdog says thanks.
  11. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    Im also curious as to what purpose this beast of a machine has. Pretty over the top

Edit. Should have refreshed the page. Thats a solid gaming rig, though I dont know what are you gonna do with that much ram
  12. murdog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ya got taken on the RAM and HDD situation maybe. GODDAMMIT. Should have went with the plan going in there - SSD and 8G of RAM.

Kid is up sick now. Probably going to shut this down 'till tomorrow night. Tx for all the help.
  13. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Edit your first post and add the Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB to the list. So people dont keep asking about graphics.

Solid build for sure
    murdog says thanks.
  14. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Have fun with your new build.
    Us at TPU will always be ready to help if something is not going as it should :)
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
    murdog says thanks.
  15. murdog New Member

Thanks Received:
    K, tx guys. Just coaxed the kid back to sleep with good 'ol Vicks on the chest. Over an hour lost though, so I think I'm going to shut 'er down. I'll get started earlier tomorrow night. It really doesn't look much harder than an Ikea product now that I've examined the tower a little closer (which seems fantastic, really happy with it). Alot more room for error though, and I'm a little bleary-eyed now.

TOMOWO FO SHO!

Is DrunkenMafia exaggerating? Will it really be 'very slow' with that hard drive? Him being the only one so far to say anything makes me wonder.

I didn't pay enough attention to the RPM's. I had planned on adding a 2TB drive at some point, so that was the most important number in my head; and I was sorta assuming a new drive would be pretty fast. When the store dude recommended it and my buddy scoffed at the memory on the SSD's I rolled over and took it.
  16. murdog New Member

Thanks Received:
    With the power supply I basically went with what the store recommended. My research had me thinking 650W, but standard advice seems to be 'go with more than what you think you need', and I figured the guy knew what he was talking about.

Anyways tx guys, talk to you tomorrow...
  17. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Yes, DrunkenMafia is exaggerating a little. It will be fine. Todays 5400 Green drive run at about 110 Mbs avg and a good 7200 drive will average about 125. So although it will be your bottle neck you have a very fast system. And its an easy fix. gives you time to decide weather to go SSD, raid or 7200
    murdog says thanks.
  18. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Before I got my ssd in, my main drive is a seagate 5900rpm, and i honestly did not notice any problems at all with it being a 5900rpm drive. I did a bench on it and its about 100ish MB/s, all my games ran fine from it, and windows did too.

Enjoy your pc :)
    murdog says thanks.
  19. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    My WD Green SATA II 2TB does 87mbps on average.
    Play MOH 2010 on it with no problems.

There are a fair few pre-built brand name machines coming out with them as well.
    murdog says thanks.
  20. murdog New Member

Thanks Received:
    K tx guys.

Jetster, what do you mean by the 'raid' option?
  21. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    RAID is when you have 2+ drives working in tandem under different levels. Can be made for performance or a set fault tolerance. Do NOT confuse this as a good option to regular backups.

Check this out for more information:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_levels
    murdog says thanks.
  22. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    The raid link in my sig explains what raid is/does and what the different options of RAID are.
    murdog and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  23. murdog New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm still a little hung up on the drive situation. Should I just put this bad boy together or go get something different? Will it be a problem to move windows to a smaller, faster drive later?
  24. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Put it together now, then go get a ssd later, and re-install/move your install when you have the ssd.

You may as use it now if you have all the parts.
    murdog says thanks.
  25. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    There are a few options you could do.

1) Get the new, faster drive and use Windows Easy Transfer for your files.

2) Go ahead and install windows on your hdd now install all programs and what not (including drivers) and image the drive so that way all you have to do is toss the image onto the SSD and away you go!
    murdog says thanks.