1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First build: compatibility check

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by BetaRunnerAlpha, Jan 3, 2013.

1. BetaRunnerAlpha New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is my first from the ground-up build. The parts are:

Motherboard: gigabyte ga-78lmt-s2p

CPU: amd fx 4100

PSU: apevia warlock 750w

RAM: corsair xms3 8gb

Optical drive: asus 24rw

Hard drive: Wd caviar blue 500gb

I have checked compatibility with everything, except the only thing I can't check is the power supply's compatibility. I received the power supply as a gift, so I intend to use it. Now, what I'm most curious about is if the motherboard and PSU are compatbile. The motherboard has 24 pins but the PSU only has 20; however, in the manual for the PSU, it says it's 20/24 pin.

So everyone...is this compatible?D:
  2. serratedauto

Thanks Received:
    If the manual says the PSU is 20/24 PIN then there might be a detachable 4-pin connector to transform the 20-pin connector to a 24-pin connector. That's how it was on mine.

Also, you'll have to check if the MoBo has a 4-pin or 8-pin CPU connector. This is easily rectified by buying an 8-pin to 4-pin connector (or vice versa) for like $8.
  3. n3rdf1ght3r

n3rdf1ght3r

Thanks Received:
    Your power supply has a 20/24 pin power connector which means it has a large 20 pin connector with a detachable 4 pin connector that is attached to the end of the 20 pin connector which turns it onto a 24 pin connector. The motherboard also uses a 4 pin power connector so your power supply is fully compatible with your motherboard. Your computer is fully compatible, no need to worry. :toast:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. BetaRunnerAlpha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you both!
    I found the other chords on the power supply, and hooked everything up.
    For some reason though, when I click the power button, the fans and lights start up for just a moment but then it all turns back off.
    Any ideas on what I did wrong?
    I checked to make sure all the chords were in the right spot, and everything was securely placed.
  5. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    The board is a crap board and old technology. I would exchange the board. You have to update the bios to get it to work with FX processors so your basically screwed without a Phenom II to update it. The 760G Chipset with SB710 is ancient....

Look into this: GA-990XA-UD3 (rev. 3.0) or this: GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 1.2)

Next time ask before you buy. That model is like over 2 years old.

I would also exchange the PSU. Although Apevia PSU's will work, they are not good PSU's at all.

You have some bad choices here however: On the upside, your Asus CD/DVD is a good one.....

This is right from Gigabytes website:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  6. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    Ha actually for my friends build I was thinking about the GA-970A-UD3 but went with ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 instead purely due do to who could get me the mobo the quickest. I didn't want to limit him later on since the 760g mobo he had was old. And are you going to use a graphics card?
  7. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Apeiva PSU.... last I unerstood a lot of those were garbage. I would find a review, here, jonnyguru, [h], or overclockers.com and see if there is something on it. Otherwise, get a different PSU as most apevia's are crap.
  8. n3rdf1ght3r

n3rdf1ght3r

Thanks Received:
    Well he got the power supply as a gift, so he didn't really get to choose it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. BetaRunnerAlpha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for the help everyone! I plan to get a better PSU for my next build, but I'm not one to not use a gift. I suppose I will need to update the bios so I can use the FX, and yes- I do plan on adding a video card, probably a Radeon.
    Oh, also, I'm not a "he" xD haha.
    Again, thank you everyone!
  10. n3rdf1ght3r

n3rdf1ght3r

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I assume everyone on the internet is a he
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Does it really matter how it was procured? Get rid of it.

That gift and decision could take out your entire PC (worst case).
  12. Xenturion

Thanks Received:
    Well, yes, actually. It does. Clearly, as it was a gift, there likely wasn't any budget for it in the first place. Not to mention the inevitable "How's the Power Supply I gave you?" question. While your sensibilities might tell you that any low quality PSU will take out the attached components, that isn't exactly a universally held belief. A more likely scenario, if it is in fact a flawed unit, is it will simply die after a few months use. If she had a power loadout close to (or even half of) the 750W rating, I'd be more concerned. As it sits, I wouldn't worry about the PSU. (If you do have a gift receipt, though. I'd consider swapping it out for a lower wattage, higher quality PSU from Corsair or Seasonic for instance)

Concerns about the chipset, however, are valid. As others have said, despite having an AM3+ socket, the 760G based board likely won't support an FX-series processor out of the box. They need a BIOS update, but there really isn't anyway to perform one without a Phenom II or Sempron processor on hand. You'd have to install a supported processor, perform the BIOS update, and then switch back to your FX4100. I'd see if you can't return the board (assuming it isn't also a gift). If it's Microcenter you bought it from, you can ask them to perform a POST test on your board. I think they charge $20 for it, but it'd force them to get the update for you essentially.
  13. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    He got it for free, if he doesn't overclock, it will suffice. please get off the PSU for now.
  14. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    Worst that will happen is caps will go bad in most cases that I have seen, which shouldn't hurt anything else, it will just begin to fail powering up and such.

No dedicated GPU?
  15. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I had a Corsair 650 Go up in a ball of fire and take(almost) every component with it granted it was due to a power surge on the mains and not the psu it self but if my Corsair did that what do you think that cheap shiney colored plasic pile of shit is gonna do if the mains spike or sag a little :shadedshu

nuffsaid
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDNews&op=Story&ndns_id=207

http://pro-clockers.com/powersupplies/34-apevia-750w-warlock-power-supply-.html?start=3
    /me points out that there test rig was lucky if it was drawing 400Watts in a sub 30c test room lol
    junk is junk you power your system with junk you are gonna get junk
    if junk = in
    do
    junk = out
    else
    do
    explode:
    on Anouther note we should get everyone together and buy all the 760G motherboards(the ones that pretend they have FXsupport anyway) off newegg and then burn them
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  16. BetaRunnerAlpha New Member

Thanks Received:
    After updating the BIOs, it's now up and running.
    It's running very well, and quietly. Once I get the Internet set up I'll be able to download something to see how well everything is running.
    cadaveca says thanks.
  17. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i would like to mention you are going overkill on the powersupply.
  18. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    She comes back to giveus a update and first thing said is about the power supply ROFLMFAO

Come on De.Das.Dude read the full thread before commenting. BTW, how's the GTS450 doing?
    Crunching for Team TPU