1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Intel Build; What Do You Guys Think?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by satindemon4u, Jun 5, 2014.

1. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    Its not an 8-core processor though. The only real benefit of using an i7 would be mostly seen in video editing programs, where the extra threads can help with rendering, and perhaps in intense FPS games. Both i5 and i7 processors have the same number of physical cores, therefore there is little benefit of using the i7 in a gaming setting, unless you are playing intense FPS games. This applies for future games as well - four cores is four cores.

EDIT: In this review, they tested both Haswell i5 and i7 K processors in Crysis 3 and Metro: Last Light, which IMO is the closest we have to what future gaming performance will be like, and there was only a few frames in it in terms of their 1080p performance. And that could just be down to the fact you can't create perfect benchmarking conditions.

Layton

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    Folding for Team TPU
  2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    It has 8 logical cores and the cache to support it ,ah forget it, like I care this much, see yall in two years for the upgrade version of this thread

More than 25k PPD
  3. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Alright ladies, let's keep the arguing to a minimum haha. I will look around for other cases, perhaps something a little cleaner. I really just want a case that will breath well, and be very clean on the inside. Cable management is a must. On my last AMD build if you were to look in the side window you would see nothing but a cable cluster-fu**. :D

4. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    wait till i do my next rig and i will be able to give you a mini review on the Corsair Carbide Spec-01 (budget line of corsair xD i find any other case from them "not worth the money spent" since you can find same kind cheaper from other brands)

case that breath well ... hum any of the HAF line from CM are good for that ... but what attracted my on the Carbide spec-01 aside from the price is the front bezel who is quite open (with filter) and the plastic feels really sturdy.
    IMG_20140606_114213_763.jpg

well of course you are not making a cheap build like mine so you might like a case with a bit more "features" like i mentioned previously HAF line for example.

5. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I feel that both Layton and theoneandonly have some valid points, I still support the 4670 personally..... why? Well I find it difficult to argue that because a console has 8 cores then a PC should have them, console games will of course be coded to use what's available and does not necessarily represent the needs of a PC game which has to have a wider market to succeed. From what I have read recently, even in 2014 we still see only about 1 in 30 games that can use more than 4 cores/threads and we have had 4 core/8 threaded CPU's for more than 6 years, it is a very good point to make though that the more core's/threads you have available the more future proof your system "could" be, I just don't think gaming is moving forward fast enough to make it a deal breaker today.... but that's just my opinion.

theoneandonlymrk and GreiverBlade say thanks.
  6. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Im possibly a little too positive it seams.

More than 25k PPD
  7. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, the way I look at it, in the time that games catch up to running on 8 cores, there will be CPU's with even more cores. It's a race that will always have CPU's ahead of what can fully be harnessed. Also, in the time that games (or programs in general) can utilize the full 8 cores you will probably be outdated on everything else and need to do a pretty nice overhaul. All in all it seems that the role of things is starting to change. It seems that hardware is beginning to take leaps ahead of what can be utilized through a program. Not a bad thing really!

On topic; any cases that people would recommend in particular then? lol

8. Kyuuba

Kyuuba

Thanks Received:
    I fully support theoneandon's opinion, I'd go for an i7, even if I would get it for me, we are not too far from seeing games struggling an i7, we have a clear example, Crysis 3 which can make an i7 suffer a little bit and that comes from a 2013 year game.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  9. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    1. lose the i7 it won't do you any good for gaming get a 4670K + a decent air cooler and clock it to 4.0Ghz
    2. lose the fancy case unless you REALLY care about how the machine looks or just wanna brag to everyone that you spent a 150.00 on a case
    3. step up to either a 770 or r9 280x

10. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:

My bad, I must have forgotten to update the first post. I did change it to an i5. I'll shop around for other cases as long as I can get the nice cable management...which shouldnt be an issue. I'll also check out the 770's

11. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    at last people could stop arguing over CPU and do as i did ... giving a opinion on CASE instead ...

or OP you don't even consider what i am writing ??? i am saaaaaaddd... you wrote
    as if i wrote nothing before about the HAF line ... snirfle, don't mind me i'm gonna go in the back of the room to cry a bit ... :roll: ;) (joking) multi opinion would be good indeed

eh? i played Crysis 3 on a Athlon X4 760K @ 4.2 with a R9 270 without any problems (all maxed except fxaa) ok it was 30fps and not 60, and with a 270X (45-58fps) if i still had my 770 or a 280X or the 290 i am waiting atm instead ... i am positively sure that this quadcore would have no problem either ...

12. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    I did not mean to ignore you GreiverBlade haha, I did indeed see that post and will look into them as well.

Hmmm. Alright guys, Cooler Master, or Corsair?

Think I am going with the Corsair Carbide Series 400R

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  13. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    well i think CM have a price more "accorded" to what they should be... but the 400R is a nice choice, under 100$ most of the time and all needed to do a clean build :)

14. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I definitely like the way it looks and it will be saving me around $60 from that case I had picked out previously.

GreiverBlade says thanks.
  15. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    To hell with Corsair, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro has your name written all over it.

Admire:

Purchase: (Windowed) (Non-windowed)
    Then, thank your lucky stars you bought it!

I/we were trying to save you some cash on the PSU, but now you're gonna blow even more? Get the bloody EVGA 750 G2 and be done with it then. It's $30 cheaper, has a 10 year warranty vs. the 7 on the Seasonic, and it's a better unit too. Sorry to say it Seasonic fans, but Super Flower dropped a steaming deuce in (our) front yards.

After taking a quick glance at the prices on Newegg, I really think you should consider the value the R9's offer. I didn't raise the option initially because most system builders have already cemented their preferred duopoly participant in their heads before posting here, but if you're still mentally flexible, give em a look.

If it's a toss up between an i7 and a better GPU, I'd opt for the latter and an i5.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  16. satindemon4u

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  17. Kyuuba

Kyuuba

Thanks Received:
    I am agree, but he was aiming as well for a future so i guess an i7 would be excellent for a couple years or more, however, it depends on his budget if can afford it man.

18. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Right, consoles have 8 cores, but they only are able to use a maximum of 6 of them for games. The other 2 are used for background processes and the OS.

19. Tsukiyomi91

Tsukiyomi91

Thanks Received:
    For this kind of build, you don't need a lot of power unless you're planning to OC the CPU & adding another GTX760 for SLI. If single GPU rig is your mainstay, opt for a 650W PSU would do.

20. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    The R9 270x performs slightly under the GTX 760 - you may want to consider an R9 280x instead. However, the R9 270x is quite a bit cheaper than the GTX 760 in almost all cases. And the 4GB VRAM can be useful is you Crossfire in the future, as usually only the VRAM of one card can be used in Crossfire. The Phanteks case is great, but I'm annoyed that its quite hard to find in the UK!

Layton

Folding for Team TPU
  21. Tsukiyomi91

Tsukiyomi91

Thanks Received:
    IMO, the GTX760 should be more than enough to run most games up to Very High settings @ 1080p resolutions without problems. If you bump the core speed a little (under 100MHz), it should be more than enough to do the job. My OCed GTX760 ran Crysis 3 settings on Very High, FXAA, on 1920x1080 averaging at 44fps. Also, an unlocked Core i5 chip should be more than enough to get you by... no need to spend extra cash for a stock Core i7. An AIO CPU Cooler should do the job if you're planning to run it at 4GHz stable 24/7.

22. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    btw did you read the entire thread? everything as already been discussed... the last thing needed is the case.

and with the 650w he choose + a i5-4670K he can do a 760 SLI ´(already said tho ... more than one time ) (or 2 270X too as they don't need much more than a 760)
    for the 270X, i had one well ... cheaper not too much under a 760 (aka: you would see nearly no difference) nV is known to have a higher price than what they are really worth... the only reall "bang for bucks" card, is indeed the 760 (well ... not totally but the price is still better than the others cards from them ... unless you look into second hand )

and for the Phantek case.... well it looks plain ... same price of the 400R but with a window ... not bad not bad (and i thought only Corsair was overpricing their case :D nah i am joking any good case under 100$ are not overpriced)

(and i hate corsair, yet i bought a corsair case xD )
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=carbide_spec-01-_-11-139-041-_-Product
    50$ less than the Enthoo... but no rubber grommet on the cable management hole ... (wait are they worth 50$)

Seasonic is worse than EVGA because they offer 7yrs instead of 10yrs ? welll you know the lifetime of a PSU (who will obviously die of a "not covered by the warranty" cause.... :roll:) while i agree if a 750w cost 30$ less than a 650w
    yet ask you the question : over a year whats the price difference in electricity? and also do they have a 80+ difference (like Bronze versus Gold) and 3rd if his rig will not use more than 549w (-/+10W) in a SLI and OC setup... would those 30$ will be really worth (unless he choose a 280X/770 to go with ofc)

for the cooler, drop the cliché of the AIO : they dont really perform better than a air cooler like the TR HR-02 Macho Rev.A, in the end only mITX and µATX really benefit from AIO specially for 4ghz ... (i ran a 4.2ghz i7-920 under a Macho and a H70 with 2 good fan and i did switch back to the Macho, in my µATX build i ran a X4 760K @ 4.2 with a Katana 4 and then with a Seidon 120v indeed the temps where better with the AIO for the µATX but not by a big marging) i know Haswell is hotter than SB/IB but price to price a H100/105/110/100i isn't worth a Macho or a Ashura who will cost half the price of it.

btw the 549w calculation (which include a marging over the "real need") is with a 4ghz i5 and 2 760 in SLI so yes a 650w will do

23. M0rt

Thanks Received:
    The EVGA (Super Flower Leadex) performs better according to virtually every metric one can use to evaluate a PSU, that's why it's better. The price difference and warranty are just the gravy.

Read the review and go break OklahomaWolf's balls if you want.

Feel free to ask the OP what the going rate of a kWh is in his neck of the woods, his intended amount of weekly use, approximate the various usage loads and efficiencies, and then extrapolate the yearly cost of running each unit. I'm counting on you calculator...

24. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  25. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    come on don't take it like that :roll: as i said 30$ less on a 750 over a 650 is good no doubt about it ;) and i like Superflower for PSU (i ended with a Fractal Integra 650W because of the price, tho if i go CFX 290 i will need a 750 and no doubt about it i would look into a SuperNOVA G2 750 )

oh i know already ;)

i wish the OP would go for that and a 770/280X and then CFX/SLI it later :D