1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Intel Build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by cookiemonster, Aug 31, 2012.

1. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi well it has all arrived all except the thermal paste and I was itching to get started today, is there anything i should do before I take this one appart, it is my first Intel build, I checked the bios and it says F6 but when I went to download it they go up to F13, what one should I download incase of problems.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, PCIe 3.0, D-Sub (VGA) DP / DVI-D / HDMI, ATX

Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W, Retail

256GB Crucial RealSSD M4, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s SSD, MLC-Flash, 500Mb/s, Write 260Mb/s *New Version

16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 10-10-10-27, XMP, 1.5V

Zalman Thermal Paste ........ in transit somwhere

2. tacosRcool

tacosRcool

Thanks Received:
    nope

3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get the newest one, just updated a board an hour ago from F4 to F14 (UD5H non wifi version), temps dropped by 5C or something similar under Prime95.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  4. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yep might as well take the time to get together your "Tool Kit" Latest BIOS, Latest Intel Chipset Dirvers, WiFi/NIC Drivers,Latest Intel RST "F6" drivers(this one I always do because Win7 install makes it easy to put then into the install) So it's got the SATA/AHCI controller going right from the get go. Any other drivers you may need specific to you board from the Support Page for your MoBo you might need.
    Stick em all on a USB drive, Tool Box Complete:cool:

5. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Build went okay but having a big problem graphics card boots up and into windows with sound only but intel graphics work with no problem, i updated the bios and tried turning onboard graphics of but no joy.

6. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you installed the drivers for your gpu?

cookiemonster says thanks.
  7. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    yes drivers for gpu installed and all new mobo drivers from site installed

8. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I tried it in another slot and it booted into windows with no problem, I then tried it in the top slot again and got black screen so it would seem i have a problem with the top slot.

9. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Check your bios to see if the slot causing problems is activated or set correctly? It may be the bus speed or something. Hope you sort it anyways.

cookiemonster says thanks.
  10. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi mediasorcerer, I did try activating the top slot istead of leaving it at Auto but i could only do that when i was plugged into the onboard graphics and when i plugged the graphics card into the top slot I could't get into the bios to turn of the onboard graphics, I have RMAd the mobo as it was only 10 days old so i shall have to wait to see what happens.
    regards and thanks

mediasorcerer says thanks.
  11. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a real shame and such a hassle too, i hate having to rma stuff, such a long wait, hope it comes soon and works great, keep us updated too if you like.

When updating bios, i do it one update at a time, ie start from earliest to latest etc, rather than going from original straight to latest, if that makes sense, also be very careful handling the mobo, earth yourself out on some big metal object/s to remove any static if possible, you probably know this already but, just incase.

first thing i do with new mobo is update bios too b4 i install anything cept win7 etc.

kind regs too!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  12. cookiemonster

Thanks Received:
    Hi I had an e-mail from Scan this morning saying they had tested the top slot ing the motherboard and and there was no problem with it and to phone them which i did and they cannot replace it as it worked for them, I told the lady that the problem is it didn't work for me and there was a problem with the top slot, she couldn't tell me what card they used to test it, so i told her what card i had and she was going to get in touch with the testing people and see what they say, but she did say that they couldn't replace or refund it as it had tested allright for them, but she will get back to me and it might mean returning the card to me to which i said it doesn't work for me, so it would seem i have a problem , any ideas, it looks like i will be landed with a mobo that doesn't work. HELP.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI