1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First PC in 12 Years!!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by PsxMeUP, Jul 6, 2012.

1. PsxMeUP New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, not counting laptops I'm considering getting a real computer for the first time in over 12 years! It will mainly be for gaming and processing (rar, photoshop, 3D Studio Max, Unreal Ed, video converting, multitasking, etc.). I plan to overclock the GPU and CPU and get 2 video cards in SLI/Crossfire in a couple of years, but not now. So here's what I plan on getting.

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz BOX
    GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 680 Phantom 2GB DDR5 PCI-E BOX
    Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
    RAM: Corsair DDR3 2x4096MB 1600MHz CL8.0 XMP Vengeance
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R black
    PSU: Corsair TX750V2 750W

I'm contemplating getting the Asus Sabertooth Z77 over what I got now, or something else, but don't know what's good. I've been conditioned to think a motherboard "has to be ASUS," but you know... 12 years is a long time; things might have changed! So is this ok? Will I need a better PSU when I start overclocking and get a second GPU? Is the CPU any good? I think I got all the Ivy Bridge / Z77 / PCI-E 3.0 crap figured out but need things verified by people who kept up with all this stuff. I am willing to spend a $100 more to get better stuff.

2. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    Everything looks good

What about Hard drive? A 120gb SSD would work nice with that setup

PsxMeUP says thanks.
  3. IINexusII

IINexusII

Thanks Received:
    yep looks good to me. would serve you another 12 years just fine :)

syeef and PsxMeUP say thanks.
  4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't like the PSU. Look for a Seasonic X series.

PsxMeUP says thanks.
  5. dank1983man420

dank1983man420

Thanks Received:
    If anything, maybe get the 680 with more memory(4GB) on it if this computer will be kept for even half as long as your last one. We should hopefully be seeing more affordable displays with higher resolutions than 1080i very soon(like Catleap ones) , which would benefit from more GPU memory(plus you do the photoshop stuff too).

Edit: That's assuming you'll be getting a new display sometime in the next few years

PsxMeUP says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. PsxMeUP New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got too many HDDs as is: 3TB spread over 4 drives. I will get a SSD but later. I want to see if they make a difference so I want to start with normal disks then get an SSD to see the improvement. Plus I'm a little cautious. I heard there are better options than SSD and I don't quite understand everything (RAM Flash vs Flash SSD).

@TheMailMan78, I've changed my PSU choice so many times I'm fed up of changing it. I started with a BeQuiet Purepower L8 730W, then a Cooler Master, then was dead set on an XFX, now Corsair... It's just a PSU. I want it to get the job done and stay silent!

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a PSU? The PSU is the most important part of any build. THE MOST IMPORTANT. Seasonic X series is one of the highest rated PSUs on the market and it will be quieter then that 750TX by far. The "X" only turns its fan on when its under heavy load. The 750TX ALWAYS runs and has REALLY bad power ripple. I owned a 750TXv1 for years.

PsxMeUP says thanks.
  8. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The be Quiet he mentioned is built on a Seasonic board I think so is a good option too.

I'd go for which ever is cheapest of the two.

By the by SSDs make HUGE differences to boot up times and general system responsiveness, load up for things that are not even on the SSD is faster by a tad thanks to this.

Windows explorer FLIES with an SSD, everything will open instantly.

You can get 550MB/s ones for cheap now ( 120gb is around £70 in the UK )

I had a 120MB/s SSD and my boot time went from 2 minutes or so to a fully usable Desktop to 25 seconds. And like I said everything was more responsive ( not a placebo effect I promise!) Hell I'd even drop the 680 and get a 670 and overclock. Then get a SSD with the money saved. The 670 is right up the 680s arse the difference is negligible when both are overclocked.

PsxMeUP says thanks.
  9. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    If you don't have an ssd, don't bother with the rest. Why run a top of the line computer when all your software is on an outdated drive.

PsxMeUP says thanks.
  10. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    What kind of display do you have? Are you still on a crt? (nothing to be ashamed of thats for sure I still use one for gaming)

PsxMeUP says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    Agree on Mailman's option. A Seasonic X series is a solid performer. I have them in service at the office and they've been very reliable. I personally go for the X650 but you might need another 1 or 200 watts with your plans. The San Ace fan in the X650 is worth the cost of admission alone.

If you're looking for an SSD, I don't keep up with the latest offerings, so I don't know if there are new SSD's available that are higher rated, but we've been very satisfied with the Samsung 830 series. Excellent performers and we haven't run into a single hitch on any of the dozens we own.

With the Samsung 830's, I've also been using their low profile DDR3 1600 memory in my own rigs...quite pleased. Very overclockable...and forgiving.

Best,

LC

PsxMeUP says thanks.
  12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    All good advice so far.
    Asus does make good motherboards but they arn't the only one. Overclocking results are 90% processor and 10% motherboard. I really like the temp sensing ability of the sabertooths though.

PsxMeUP says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. nleksan

Thanks Received:
    I also think that the Samsung 830 drives are the best option, with top of the line performance but also the reliability not previously associated with such performance (think OCZ). In-House Controller, Synchronous/Toggle-NAND 25nm Flash, and the best housing I have seen on a drive = ultra-reliable and ultra fast. Unlike the Sandforce drives, the specs Samsung posts aren't "theoretical", and in fact are rather conservative by most tests; and again, unlike the majority of drives, it is fast regardless of the data type. I believe that the Intel 520 drives are the only better option, but you can get a 256GB Samsung for not much more than a 120GB Intel! And the difference is a few percentage points at most, performance wise, but I can't speak to long term reliability.

Also, NZXT HALE90 PSUs are worth a look. JohnnyGuru tests put them up there with Seasonic and above Corsair/CM/Antec... I feel that they are extremely underrated and far too often overlooked.

Also, you may find that Z77 Board prices change a bit with the new Maximus V Formula and Extreme launching soon, driving prior "top dog" prices down to remain competitive, bc while I am not a fanboy of any company (besides BMW), I have yet to hear anything showing that Asus does not have the best feature sets on their MBs out of all the players; some may add extra SATA3 ports with Marvell controllers (yuck) or USB3.0 ports or whatever, but I have yet to see a better mix, on average, than Asus. There are always exceptions, but I have put my money where my mouth is.

PsxMeUP says thanks.
  14. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    if you r going to have this system for a long long time why not get the Asus P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT?

u get onboard Intel Thunderbolt solution ino it's not that used yet but i think it will with time bcs it's an awesome solution for external drives with speeds up to 10gbps per channel and u can connect up to 6 devices on it.

[​IMG]

for a little more info about Intel Thunderbolt go here: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products

this board here would be the board i will take if i was going to get the Z77 chipset that's not ripping off my wollet for getting the Asus Maximus Formula V i so bad wants :( (i just don't have like 430usd laying around for a board)

PsxMeUP says thanks.
  15. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:

All true one of the best upgrades i have ever done in my computer i got one now its two weeks old and i love it its a Seasonic X-660, and the power protection features are 6 unlike most current PSUs have only 4 or less, Solid Performer for real and quiet as hell, i did research for 6 months and by the first few days everything pointed out to Seasonic X Series as a solid PSU, now i own one and i highly think I'll try and be loyal to the Seasonic brand for any other personal build for a very long time with their PSU i feel it made my build complete with satisfaction. With Seasonic X Series I'm finally in the right track I'm finally found, I found peace.

PsxMeUP says thanks.
  16. PsxMeUP New Member

Thanks Received:
    This has been very enlightening, thanks everybody. I might actually go with a GTX 670 instead of 680 since they are virtually identical. I'll use the money saved to improve the PSU and Motherboard. I wouldn't mind getting a 4GB GTX 670 but the only one available from my store is the Zotac GeForce GTX 670 4GB. It's really hard to find reviews on it and I'm not impressed with the base and OC specs. I'll get a single 1920 x 1080 flatscreen monitor so maybe 4GB is a bit overkill on a single card.

17. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    on SLi or Crossfire it don't double ur memory only gpu :laugh:

18. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    The oem for the Corsair AX series is Seasonic. I did alot of research on PSUs and ended up with the AX650. The fan turns off at idle and is dead silent under stress. And the best part is the 7 year warranty.

19. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    you over spec'd it for gaming.

you should be going with a Quadro card and taking advantage of 10-bit monitors. I would change the processor to a 2600k. you should have no less than 16GB of ram for content creation. some Adobe products take advantage of SSD so make sure you have a 120GB to boot and a scratch disk.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  20. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'd go with either 1 8GB stick or even better 2 x 8GB sticks.

21. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    8GB is enough for most people however Photoshop and some other applications can use 16GB+ if you want them too. plus you can create a ram disk.

22. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah, the bigger memory is better
    especially when you do multitasking :toast:

23. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    That's why i went straight to the source,"Seasonic"

24. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Just saw this and this is pure BS. Read this here review. Did you notice the "V2" part in the name? THat indicates it's a new unit. Ripple is excellent, and the fan is quiet.

EDIT: Also, "THE MOST IMPORTANT" doesn't mean you have to go for the absolute best.

qubit says thanks.
  25. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    Either one you'll be covered for many years. Where I bought mine was just cheaper than the Seasonic variant