1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First PCI Express 3 Rumors Surface

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Aug 11, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    We've heard plenty about how PCI Express 2 is going to start surfacing in motherboards and graphics cards all across the world starting in Q3 2007. The PCI Special Interest Group has begun considering what they're going to do for the next version of PCI Express. Currently, they think that PCI Express 3 will be ready for a finalized version of the specifications by 2009, and we can start seeing products utilizing PCI Express 3 in 2010 (giving PCI Express 2 three years to shine, much like PCI Express 2 gave PCI Express three years to shine).

Regardless of when PCI Express 3 is released, the current rumor has it that we will see transfer speeds of eight gigatransfers per second. A spokesperson for the PCI Special Interest Group claims that by 2009, such incredible speeds will be easily achieved with low cost materials with a negligible impact on performance/compatibility.

Source: The Inquirer

mullered07 says thanks.
  2. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
  3. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    But not in the news:slap:

I thought the change would go alot faster. Remeber how fast we went in AGP that is 1,2,4,6,8 you would think that they would do the same thing with PCI-E, and they are finally are starting to do just that..

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  4. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last time i checked news is about something new for people but since most read it in the forums days ago how is it still news ?

5. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thing is pci-e 1.1 still isn't full utilized. Can't wait to see the gfx cards that full utilize pci-e 1.1 , then the one's that fully use 3.0 are going to be our computers :D

6. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    News belongs on the front page, putting random crap in the forums brings no guarantee that anybody will see it, and just clutters the place. News posters are quite happy to get tips of interesting stories. Chances are news tips will get published, and they don't even need much effort, just a source link.

If you want to bring your news posting talents somewhere else, Ashentech would gladly take a new member.

7. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like i said ZEK it aint illegal nor against rules for a Member to post things he finds INTERESTING in the Forums and thats that :)

8. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    But when someone tries to outshine the newsposters with said "interesting" things, then they're just being a jerk, embarrassing the newsposters, and making TPU look like a mess, which is exactly why it's against the rules.

9. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you could always try to pass a rule like that but i dont think it can ever be such a rule in any forum online. Members aint here just to post replies, members are here to help one another and to bring usefull things to one another. Im sure you can understand that so no point in arguing.

10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I recognize the difference between the occasional interesting tidbit and repeated attempts to outshine the newsposters. As Urlyin says...

Walk the line. Do not cross it.

11. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

12. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    And i am sure that if Urlyin and W1z come and ask members Not to post things they find around the net in the forums we will all do as much. And IF newsposters like you say want to post news perhaps they should post it Prior to members finding them on the net or am i wrong in that too ?

13. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Well the way that PCI-E is going I'm starting to wonder when they will kill off the pci slots. It will happen one day and that would be my personal guess.

14. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for posting this. After reading this i think i am just going to hold out for a year or 2 before i get a new mobo and cpu. With how fast new things are coming out right now i think it would be best to wait.

15. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    I hate to say it, but it's true/ There is always something new around the corner. If you hold out you miss out on all the cool stuff now:)

16. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eventually, just like how they killed off ISA ports. (w/e those big old ugly things were) But thing is people are still carrying over things like sound cards, network cards, and wireless cards from their old computers that are all pci based.

17. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Very ture but if they want to kill it off they will. I'm sure a lot of people where mad about ISA, AGP and changing the memory types. Not everyone wanted to buy DDR2 if they went to AM2 for example.

18. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    That is true but if you are happy with your rig and you don't need/ want anything why not wait ?

19. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yup, nice thing is with pci, it's not that expensive to replace a sound card compared to a gfx card (generally)

20. XooM New Member

Thanks Received:
    so... PCI-E 2 is great and all... but are there more than maybe 5 PCI-E x1 cards in existence, much less for sale in the US and/or useful?

21. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, they'll kill it off eventually...there is just no need ATM because PCI is fast enough for what uses it (sound cards, WLAN cards, etc) :).

Thats true...but if you wait 3 years for this to come out, then there will be rumours of PCIe 4...then you will wait again...and its a vicious cycle :D

22. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    quick cycles of life. So, its just more bandwidth with the newer revisions?

23. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you would need a new mobo to use this? (meaning pci-e2 slot GPUs don't work in pci-e slot mobos) And then there is DX10/DX10.1/DX11, this is getting silly. What happened to upgrading one part and now the whole system in 2 years.. :( Might get good odds for DX10 Vista only=DX11 PCI-E 2.0 only.

I feel for the not so tech savvy peeps trying to buy a new GPU in the future. People are still using AGP, no need to bring PCI-E 2 so soon.

24. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    who cares will probably be a couple of years until it becomes mainstream (unless they skip pci-e 2) and i upgrade every year near enough, its all good for the consumer anyway as long as the gpu's can start to catch up and utilise the bandwidth available to the pcie lanes cause faster hardware is always a good thing :toast:

25. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    im glad im still on AGP i would be pissed if i got told i would need all new parts just to upgrade my GPU :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: [/irony]