• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Radeon HD 5870 Performance Figures Surface

D

Deleted member 24505

I think there are a lot of people who just love to have the newest hardware,specially if its really good too.I think it will do ati no harm releasing these 5800 cards at this time.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Nvidia came first, that's why they are successful in my opinion, ATIs market share increases every year if they keep up bringing out high performance cards at lower prices then eventually the market share of both companies will level out.

Again just my opinion.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Ummm, nVidia releases enthusiast cards ahead of their mainstream offerings as well. Both operate on that business model.

Not only that, but how is releasing like this in any way detrimental to ATI's sales? Whoever has the fastest card gets the most market exposure. So even if they don't sell a bunch, it sells a lot more of their mainstream cards. It's marketing, with the sale of a few high end cards in the meantime. No sense in holding the card back if you have it, especially if it trounces your market competitor's current offerings in performance.

This launch is in no way different than the G80 launch. The G80 sure as hell didn't hurt nVidia, but it did put a serious dent in ATI sales because NV's top end cards stole all of ATI's thunder.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to side with bta on this. I feel you are just flat out mistaken.

when was the last time nvidia hard launched one card in their upcoming lineup prior to ati doing so? to my knowldege nvidia has always launched several cards at a time when they hard launch.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
when was the last time nvidia hard launched one card in their upcoming lineup prior to ati doing so? to my knowldege nvidia has always launched several cards at a time when they hard launch.

Not really. 8800GT and G80 are the most recent examples. Both times, they only released 1 or 2 models, just like ATI is releasing a 5850 and 5870. The lower lines cam much later.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Ati are reportedly* coming out with a few entry level cards at the same time as the 5870 and 5850.

550 etc perfect for HTPC and main stream computer users.

* Not confirmed at the moment but judging from the 4 series cards I imagine they will.

*edit* my typos are getting worse and worse I'm now writing completely different words from what I intend : /

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
if amd releases a larger lineup of cards before nvidia and if the top cards are that significantly more powerful (we will wait to see w1zzards review) than the current nvidia top card then i will say i was wrong. but at this point nvidia is in no rush to launch their lineup. nvidia will not lose anything from amd launching first and amd wont gain much in launching first. as i said in my first post about the subject, we enthusiasts make up a terribly small portion of the consumer base. our buying habits do not mimick those of the usual consumer and hardly generate enough revenue to brag about being first.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
if amd releases a larger lineup of cards before nvidia and if the top cards are that significantly more powerful (we will wait to see w1zzards review) than the current nvidia top card then i will say i was wrong. but at this point nvidia is in no rush to launch their lineup. nvidia will not lose anything from amd launching first and amd wont gain much in launching first. as i said in my first post about the subject, we enthusiasts make up a terribly small portion of the consumer base. our buying habits do not mimick those of the usual consumer and hardly generate enough revenue to brag about being first.

But that's where you are wrong. Our buying habits strongly influence the market. That's why both generally release their top end first. If ATI trounces all over the current cards, it will make it look like NV is at a disadvantage (whether perceived or real) and it will negatively affect their sales of all their lines. The company with the fastest card always makes the most headlines, and therefore get free market exposure.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Searching for ATI Radeon HD5870 pulls 3,210,000 from google, I'd say there is some impact from enthusiast cards.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
But that's where you are wrong. Our buying habits strongly influence the market. That's why both generally release their top end first. If ATI trounces all over the current cards, it will make it look like NV is at a disadvantage (whether perceived or real) and it will negatively affect their sales of all their lines. The company with the fastest card always makes the most headlines, and therefore get free market exposure.

i have a hard time buying that considering both companies are worth billions of dollars. there is a lot more going on than just "sell to enthusiasts, they will buy anything." considering a top of the line card costs $500 you would need 1 million sales of that card to generate a half billion dollars. that is about half of amd's quartly revenue and they also sell CPUs and motherboard chipsets...

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
i have a hard time buying that considering both companies are worth billions of dollars. there is a lot more going on than just "sell to enthusiasts, they will buy anything." considering a top of the line card costs $500 you would need 1 million sales of that card to generate a half billion dollars. that is about half of amd's quartly revenue and they also sell CPUs and motherboard chipsets...

Again, you are missing the point. They don't need to sell a lot of the cards. It is advertisment for them, and against NV if the performance is better. People see the headlines of the 5870 being faster and having more features than NV, then they check out the card. If they see the price and decide it's too high, they are likely to check out what else ATI has to offer. In the meantime, AMD will still sell a few high end cards. So it's in no way any kind of loss for them.

Again, we aren't making this up. It's been proven. That's why both manufacturers spend so much time attacking the top end.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Whats important here is momentum...... ATi have this meomentum currently ...... irrespective of whether you have a preference for card vendor/manufacturer..... card sales normally are measured over a 1 year life span these days, purely because within a year each side will bring out faster hardware even if it does not imply improved architecture, most buyers concentrate on value for money and speed, not transistor count, fabrication process or even supported IQ...... generally, in the last 3 years or so, the company that gets first to a new market or performance point maintains improved market share ahead of it's rival for the first or just maybe the 2nd quarter dependant on it's competitors release but in the world we live in.... the majority of sales DON'T come in the first 3 months of a cards release, yes the "enthusisats" tend to buy the new superfast architecture then but 80% of the sales accrue 6 - 12 months after the initial launch, so as we all are painfully aware...... over the forthcoming year, who wins the battle will be decided by the performance and price of NVidia's offerings as opposed to some degree by ATi's earlier offerings if that makes sense.

Benetanegia

Whats important here is momentum...... ATi have this meomentum currently ...... irrespective of whether you have a preference for card vendor/manufacturer..... card sales normally are measured over a 1 year life span these days, purely because within a year each side will bring out faster hardware even if it does not imply improved architecture, most buyers concentrate on value for money and speed, not transistor count, fabrication process or even supported IQ...... generally, in the last 3 years or so, the company that gets first to a new market or performance point maintains improved market share ahead of it's rival for the first or just maybe the 2nd quarter dependant on it's competitors release but in the world we live in.... the majority of sales DON'T come in the first 3 months of a cards release, yes the "enthusisats" tend to buy the new superfast architecture then but 80% of the sales accrue 6 - 12 months after the initial launch, so as we all are painfully aware...... over the forthcoming year, who wins the battle will be decided by the performance and price of NVidia's offerings as opposed to some degree by ATi's earlier offerings if that makes sense.

That's what I've been saying. It makes sense. :D

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Look the funny side

Now nvidia thinks FPS and resolution is not all , indeed I do agree with the FPS part, but wonder how green products always had FPS the best but the other stuff was a bit weak.

About the resolution I do not agree , cause Eyefinity is what it is , it's something never done before and nvidia is just jealous. Things like game developing studios , workstations could also seriously benefit from such features.

I do think that eyefinity is strictly for entusiast side when it comes to gaming , which is known it's not as large as mainstream, but innovation is good anyways. Plus the Samsung preparing the super thin edges LCDs just for this feature , cause there's a new market that's surely going to rise.

Benetanegia

Look the funny side

Now nvidia thinks FPS and resolution is not all , indeed I do agree with the FPS part, but wonder how green products always had FPS the best but the other stuff was a bit weak.

About the resolution I do not agree , cause Eyefinity is what it is , it's something never done before and nvidia is just jealous. Things like game developing studios , workstations could also seriously benefit from such features.

I do think that eyefinity is strictly for entusiast side when it comes to gaming , which is known it's not as large as mainstream, but innovation is good anyways. Plus the Samsung preparing the super thin edges LCDs just for this feature , cause there's a new market that's surely going to rise.

I don't know how Eyefinity actually works but it doesn't natively run the games at those high resolutions. It probably creates a profile in which you specify at what resolution you want your game rendered and it upconverts to your 6 monitors total resolution. Then this profile appears in the game with the "fake" resolution as the name, just as I can create any resolutions that I want for my CRT and they will appear in the game too.

If the cards had the ability (aka shader power + texturing power + rasterization) to play any game at 5000x3000 or whatever, the performance figures shown in these thread would be absolutely fake, it would be running them at 1000 fps!!

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
That's true , it would seriously need to be a massive GPU to run at those resolutions.

I am just curious for one thing , and was almost right on , how games do not need to support a specific resolution?

Or are games like Crysis so advanced they do not need this game-tide support so whatever your GPU can view , it will work?

Well I hope so.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
That's true , it would seriously need to be a massive GPU to run at those resolutions.

I am just curious for one thing , and was almost right on , how games do not need to support a specific resolution?

Or are games like Crysis so advanced they do not need this game-tide support so whatever your GPU can view , it will work?

Well I hope so.

games tend to render internally at one aspect ratio, and then crop to fit.
for example, BF2 was 4:3, and they cut the vertical view down to make it widescreen.

they dont have an "internal" resolution limit, most modern games simply allow any resolution that windows sees fit (the 3D aspect will be able to scale almost perfectly, although UI/HUD elements may stretch slightly)

the ATI xenos chip in the 360 has the ability to render at one resolution, and upscale to another - say a game could be 720P, but the screen can be at its native resolution of 1440x900, for example - who cares if its not rendered at maximum resolution - its a great alternative to lowering the resolution when your performance is lacking, as its better than running an LCD at non-native resolutions