1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Rig Complete, pics, and Q's

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by SilverSRT4turbo, Feb 25, 2010.

1. SilverSRT4turbo

SilverSRT4turbo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Guys, first of all thanks for the help in picking out my parts and for the advice given. Heres how it turned out....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything went as smooth as I could have hoped. I actually had all the wires zip-tied and everything completely together before testing to see if it actually worked:eek: but thankfully it all worked perfectly and posted first try with windows 7 installing flawlesly:rockout:

Everything is running great (Crysis + natural mod + max detail= :respect:) but my memory is being read from the X70 mobo as 1333 when its infact 1600 and at 1.6v. I read this being an issue that just needed to be manually set in the BIOS.

I poked around the BIOS last night and and found the setting to make it register as 1600, but didnt understand what else to change (timings/voltage).....so of course it wouldn't luanch windows. Another odd thing is that cpuz shows my memory as 2013 (forget the exact number) or higher than 1600, wich Im assuming is what it can be overclocked to?

Either way, any info you need to help me set up the ram correctly let me know and I will provide. Its the only thing left for me do and Ill be satisfied. Not worried about overclocking yet as the speed right now is light years faster than Im used to. Thanks again for all your Help!

Spencer

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    just set teh QPI voltage to 1.35v, set teh Dram voltage to 1.64, then set your memory manually to stock settings, should boot fine, then you can raise teh mhz a little, or lower teh timings a little, set teh timings manually also, ie 8-8-8-24 or whatevers, changing the memory frequecy may screw up your oc if you have one im assuming you dont?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  3. ChewyBrownSuga

ChewyBrownSuga

Thanks Received:
    Good Job
    Enjoy gaming :toast:

SilverSRT4turbo says thanks.
  4. SilverSRT4turbo

Thanks Received:
    That sounds easy enough (and what I was planning to do) but when I get to the BIOS itself it gets rather confusing as its not layed out as simply as "Set this to this" when I change something off of the "auto" setting 20 other sub menu's that I have no clue about drop down and I get lost. Ill, have to look around tonight & see if I can get it going.

I crapped my pants when windows wouldnt launch last night:cry: I thought I screwed up everything I had just built, haha. thanks again.

5. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    go to youtube thers hundreds of oc videos, just look for one using your same mb and its usually so easy, but i cant help you much casue i have no idea what stuff you have set your system specs in your sig so people know what gear you have

6. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    My buddy has that MSI board was well and yeah their bios is setup kinda weird. Dont worry if you change a setting and cant boot up, you can reset the bios to default by resetting the CMOS or jumper.:)

Nice looking rig and awesome cable management!:toast: Just curiose, what made you decide on that cpu cooler?

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Dyno New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very nicely done dude, congrats!

8. SilverSRT4turbo

Thanks Received:
    Thanks :toast:, I just wanted to get an aftermarket cooler while I was putting everything together just incase I ever decide to Overclock sometime down the road (so I wont have to take things apart/clean off thermal paste etc.) .

Yeah I know it probably isnt the best (almost bought that mostrous V8 cooler), but it was $28 bucks, the reviews were good, and I figured I'de throw in a little bling to look at through the side window. Runs near silent and my temps are awsome so far & will only get better as the AS5 cures or whatever.

As for the cable managment, it went a hell of alot more smoothly than I thought...and the results were worth it.

9. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Well you case looks awesome! Congrats:toast:

Look what I see....;)
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Sweet rig dude, love it :toast:

Great part selection ;)

11. SilverSRT4turbo

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: I was about to post that...

Hey, one more thing....My Alienware I recently retired was usually left running 24-7/365 for YEARS. I always went by the rule it was better to leave it running + sleep with a shut-down every now and then compared to constantly turning on and off. It seems to have worked for that system but I wasnt sure if todays components follow that same rule. I've been turning it off so far to try to keep dust to a minimum (2 cats dont help), but Im wondering if its just better to let it run & hit it with canned air regularly etc.

12. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    WTF, a DuoOrb on a CPU! Never seen that before :D

Anyway, nice build, especially for a first! Fill out your system specs in the User CP now ;)

13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Nice Setup Bru!

14. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you install the hard drive so the plugs are in the back? That is actually how you're 'supposed' to do it (so it looks cleanest).

I ask because that is the case I plan to buy and I was wondering if it played well with Corsair PSU's big-ass hard cables if you want to hide the plugs/cables in the back.

15. afw

afw New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow awesome rig ... :) .... love the CPU cooler ... :D .. post some temp screens if possible ...

16. SilverSRT4turbo

Thanks Received:
    You can rotate the cage 90 degrees I believe. I mounted it as per the picture in the instructions, but I believe you can turn it around. The case turned out to be awesome...I think you were actually the one who suggested it btw (thank you). It has holes everywhere to route all your connections, and as you can see in the picture the PSU cables are a tight fit in the back but it closes without much hassle.

17. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's great man. I'm glad it worked out for you. After seeing these pics I am definitely convinced that I should order that case.

18. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    You can do it; that's how I did it. Just turn the cage around in teh hole. :)

19. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's been around forever:slap:...I think it came out before the gpu version.:p

Thrackan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, didn't even know that :)

21. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice job man:toast:

Crunching for Team TPU