1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First rig, Is this everything/will it work?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jaywray, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    i5-2500K Unlocked
    (will be overclocking to 4/4.2ghz with this cooler Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler)

ASUS 1155 P8P67

MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti OC ---maybe Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 SOC ?

Cooler Master CM Storm Enforcer --- maybe Coolermaster HAF 922 ?

G-Skill 8GBXL Ripjaws X 1600Mhz

1tb hdd 7200rpm

Corsair CMPSU-650W power supply

Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent DVD Drive?

So is this it then, should I buy all these parts is there anything else Ill need?
    Do they come with all the wires etc that'll be needed?
    I'm hoping to use it for some high end gaming, I don't care that in 3 years time ill not be playing things on ultra high etc, but currently could I max out games such as BF3/skyrim?

Thanks in advance guys, if any of you have any recommended changes I'm all ears :)

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    If you get a 560TI make sure you get 448core TI version

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    The parts will work nicely together and yes, all wires will be included.

I'm not sure if a single GTX560ti will be able to fully max out Skyrim, but you should get atleast all high settings, same with BF3.

You say your planning on OC'ing, your going to need a aftermarket heatsink. I suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212(get the one with the 120mm fan). Get some quality thermal paste also. I can't recall what is THE best right now, but I've always used Artic Silver Cermaque.

If you can afford it, also look into getting a SSD for your operating system and most frequently played games. A SSD will do wonders for your system's speed, not like it won't be fast as is.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's fine, I'm happy with high, currently I'm trying to keep the build under £800, but it seems to be a bit of a challenge, especially with SSD's being expensive as hell right now, perhaps down the line I could switch when I can afford it?
    Also would you happen to know if again, down the line I could SLI the gtx560 inside that case with that motherboard? Ill be sure to take your advice on the heat sink, just added it to my list :)

Is there any significant difference other than the £40 to justify it?

5. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    +1 at list for bf3 on ultra or a 570

6. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sapphire HD 6870 (Dual Fan) and an AMD FX-4100 CAN and WILL run Battlefield 3 on ULTRA no problem!

So much more cost effective against the 448 ti

7. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I don't really think an SSD is really necessary. If he has the budget to purchase 1, then I am all for it, but if not, then a conventional 7200RPM HDD should do just fine. You get so much more space for so much less ;)

That system looks awesome for what your going to use it for. Good luck :toast:

Jaywray says thanks.
  8. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't mean to sound stupid or anything, but what do you mean "at list"

While that could very well be true, the HD6870 isn't on par with the 560ti once you overclock it, and Id rather spend a little extra now (£30 difference) so I can put off upgrading for a little while longer :)

9. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    560TI 448 core is close to a GTX570 for less money and smokes a 6870. Depending on your monitor's resolution and what you expect in framerates you can max out those 2 games with this card.

10. radusorin

radusorin

Thanks Received:
    that ^ if you want to play bf3 on ultra whit no problem.

For Skyrim a 560 ti is fine, but for bf3 you need at list a 570 if you want to play on ULTRA whit no problem

edit: Sry let me be more specific BF3 Skyrim depending on your screen rez you can pic wat you want

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  11. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill just be playing at 1080p? Also cheers, I guess ill go for the 448 then, *throws more money in the pile* dang lol, cheers though guys.

12. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I game at 1080p with an i5 2500K and a GTX 560ti. Everything can be cranked apart from AA in a few titles. Namely Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, Skyrim with 8xAA (4 is fine I run at 60fps pretty constant)

Might I suggest though that you get a 2GB Vram Model as games are starting to use alot more so it will aid in the longevity of your system as well as going for a Z68 motherboard and one that can give you at least x8 x8 for potential SLI in the future.

Which particular model of ASUS motherboard is it you are looking at?

13. Fatal1ty39

Thanks Received:
    i think you should go with the gtx570 since there isn't much of a price difference between the gtx570 and the 560 Ti 448 plus you get more cores with the gtx570.

14. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if I can afford the 2gb model, it's like £250 :/

http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B004O9WSXU/?tag=tec053-21 <-- That's the board I'm currently looking at, would be be able to link me to the Z68 one that you're talking about? :)

15. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah so you are UK, good man.

TBH I would use a good company like Ebuyer/Scan/Aria/Novatech to source your parts. Much better service and returns policies if you have any issues.

Give me the total budget you are looking at, I'm off to watch Match Of The Day and then I'll come back on and look at a build which should give yoou exactly what you need mate. I shall brew a nice cup of coffe in anticipation :)

Jaywray says thanks.
  17. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    That I am :)

Most of the parts I was buying were from Aria/Amazon, as I know from Experience amazon are very good customer service, and due to all my family using my credit card and account to buy stuff off it, we usually spend £200 a month, we had a problem with one of our tvs and they said "there was nothing they could do" first mention of me saying Ill be shopping elsewhere "oh no sir we'll send you a freepost label and you can send it back, we'll send you a new one tomorrow" so they're good :)

Buut £700-750 would really be my budget at most!
    Much appreciated man :)

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  18. Fatal1ty39

Thanks Received:
    i have never bought a gpu from EVGA but from what i'm hearing people always praise evga for their warranty.

19. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    EVGA does infact make very good GPUs.

Personally, I'd get this motherboard over that ASUS. Main reason being is the ASUS is a m(icro)ATX board, This one is a full size ATX board.

http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B005FGQLQQ/?tag=tec053-21

There are several people on this forum that have either that exact board or the pro4 extreme3. I haven't heard of any complaints about it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    I added both the mobo and the cooler you said to my personal list ^^' (which I'm just using notepad for).
    Ill probably edit the main thing depending on what lifeonmars finds :)

22. ___Malachi___ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would strongly suggest getting a better power supply. Upgrade to at least 850W or maybe even 1000W.

You'll thank me in the long run - especially if you ever go SLI.

The GTX 560 alone pulls 360W under full load. That pretty much rules out SLI with a 650W ps (at least I think it does?)...

23. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fell asleep Jaywray, sorry :) Will have a look for you this morning mate.

24. Jaywray New Member

Thanks Received:
    The stereotype of pc gaming "you have to pay a fortune and upgrade it every few years" seems to have more truth to it that I though ^^''

No worries mate, I'm away to college here so ill be on around 4ish, no rush :)

25. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Two other things - Are you looking at any specific colour scheme and do you need any extras like keyboard, mouse etc?