1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

first SSD, what to get?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by wolf, Aug 14, 2011.

1. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    well I've managed to wait this long before getting my first SSD, but now feels like a great time.

Sata 3 has landed on it's feet, and apparently the best controllers at the moment are on intel 6 series chipsets, and I'm on a H67.

the Sandforce 2280 series controlled SSD's appear to be right in the same realm of performance, so I'm thinking one of those.

I've got my eye on a OCZ Agility 3, but want some great TPU opinions on what to get. also I've always told myself that when I'm ready to take the dive on an SSD i'd buy two for raid 0 to double the awe of the performance jump...

thoughts? all suggestions and advice welcome, thanks in advance TPU.

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Look for a brand that doesn't have endless firmware updates.

What kind of SSD user are you?

Will you tweak system to get the best performance you can from the SSD, and attempt to prolong it's life at the same time?

Or will you install it like any other drive, and forget tweaks?

Personally, I feel certain SSD makers cater to specific audiences with thier products, with the two above questions being only part of thier focus for product design.

3. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    Hello good sir,

If you are looking for a solid performance drive, I would look at a Corsair Force 3 or a Kingston HyperX SSD.

Kingston was a bit late but their firmware is solid. Corsair is solid as well.

OCZ usually represents a solid value but they have been known to have firmware issues and have lots of updates for their drives.

At my store we have had several get returned or get replaced down the road. Apparently when OCZ drives go out, they go hard.

If you are willing to trade performance for a more stable drive, I would look at an Intel 510 series drive. They are SATAIII but they will lag a bit behind the Sandforce drives.

4. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
  5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    True, however, I will add; look for a manufacturer that listens to it's users and does update the firmware when called for and is needed.

Check their forums and see, if they are posted in by the manufacturer's techs/engineers.
    Make sure they do not silence/delete posts, which, show problems; and, instead, they address the problems honestly and rationally.

Good support can be one of the best assets a company can offer. And, support for legacy products, to me, shows they do care about the customer base.

So far, I have been pleased with the OCZ Vertex 2 line, have not yet tried their newest offerings... I did hear that they had a rocky start with a bad batch, but they did replace them when RMAed, afiak and read.

6. harambasha New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I second the M4. I got mine for $350 with a newegg loyalty code and it performs pretty well, and unlike an OCZ drive I actually trust it. Though not that it matters, got my data on syncback mirrored 3tb drives.

[​IMG]

8. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    OCZ Vertex 3 (fast as fook, not as bad as people make it out to be) or Intel 510 (hella reliable, slower) would be my choices. As far as tweaks and such... relative non issue in W7 people.

Install OS
    Install chipset drivers, and video card drivers
    Run WEI.
    Install everything else. Enjoy your SSD (As WEI sets everything it needs to in W7)

If you want more space available if you have a small SSD, Disable hibernation and system restore (be sure to back up!). You can also shrink the Page file to 1GB or so if you have 4GB ram or more.

Dont make SSDing any more difficult than it truely is. ;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. bucketface

bucketface New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look into as many Sandforce drive vendors as you can and pick the one that you feel has the best balance of price/customer care. OCZ seems to be getting a bit of a bad rep in the care department. Reliability is probably the M4. Intel 5 series is faster than m4 and more reliable than the sandforce drives tend to be. Did hear something about them having some problem or other tho.
    my sugestion, google any prduct b4 you get it and check for known issues.

10. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    OCZ Vertex 3 or Crucial M4.

11. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive been running a G.Skill Pro 120 since last October. Shes been good so far.

12. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Corsair Force 3 is PRO.

13. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you've got your eyes on OCZ, I would definately pick the Vertex over the Agility, even though it costs more, synchronous tends to be faster in real time use.