1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First SSD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GoFigureItOut, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    You might not want to tell anyone else about this, or maybe just delete the post in this thread because amazon frequently will cancel orders when its widely abused.

2. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    Nah, it's already one of the top selling computer hardware on Amazon, so it would be too late by now, (and I love to share with my fellow enthusiasts anyway :p).

edit: I just talked to Amazon, and they are going to physically inspect the item in their stock and will mail back to me on this one, but the support representative assured me that it a legit and genuine Samsung 250GB SSD for sure.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    And you're not likely going to hear it from review sites that merely test short term. No matter how much you stress test an SSD, you can't really get an idea of how well it will hold up like you can torture testing a PSU. What you linked to are overall performance charts, not specifically reliability charts based on 1yr + use.

I basically look at review sites for performance and design (because the better ones tear them apart, detail all the hardware and software features, and have the means to test thoroughly), and customer feedback from those whom have owned and used them quite a bit for reliability. Between the two you get a good idea of what features they have to keep them running reasonably fast and trouble free, and whether those features work in real world performance and reliability over time. Those charts aren't going to tell you the latter.

I've come to find the uber fast SSD drives are a bit of a gamble on longevity. On something like a drive that is going to run the OS and store regularly used programs, I feel reliability is every bit as important as speed. So I feel it's best to look for a balance of the two.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  4. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    The v300 series are good to go.

5. migel_7prado

migel_7prado New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nowadays, the sandforce's reliability is un-questionable & I can see many happy users associated with this. According to me, the performance has never dropped except for few rare cases which could have been influenced by other non-sandforce parameters. The good news is the wrong perception which was pervalent earlier on is gradually fading out!

6. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I go by testimonials from customers that have owned them a while, and across the board I see more complaints about the SF drives than others, even with the latter gens of the controller. Nothing that's been posted here proves any long term reliability or performance consistency in them whatsoever.

OP, just saw the Plextor M5P 128GB on Newegg's email promo deal for $100 btw. I have that drive and it's very good, and you'll see the same feedback from pretty much every customer and site that reviews it.

7. HighEndToys

Thanks Received:
    That's because controller wise, SF sold more drives. It only makes sense that you will hear about more issues from SF because more are floating around.

Just try to get one with 25nm IMFT or 19nm Toshiba / SanDisk flash. You don't really want a 20nm flash drive.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I'm not talking more in general, I'm taking more complaints per number of people reviewing them. For something as critical as an OS drive, I see no sense in taking any unnecessary chances, and the Plextor drives just don't exhibit that level of complaints.

You guys buy whatever you want, but for now I'll steer clear of anything SF.