1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First time builder, need some inputs

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Teiji, May 2, 2012.

1. Teiji New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, this is my first time building a PC. I mainly going to use this PC to do visual effects (After Effects), web browsing, watching HD movies, and light gaming (hence the GPU you see below).

I've already bought all the components, and I'm going to start building it this weekend when all the components arrive. However, I'm starting to have concerns on some components and need some input. Below are the components:

ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard
    Intel i7-3770K CPU (will overclock to 4.5Ghz)
    nVidia GTX 550 Ti graphic card (one only)
    OCZ ZT 650W PSU
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 4x4GB (16GB)
    Crucial m4 128GB SSD
    Hitachi 1TB harddrive (temporary until HDD price goes down)
    CM Storm Enforcer case + 1 additional 200mm fan (top)
    CM Hyper 212+ cooler

I have several concerns:
    1. Will the 212+ block one of my RAM slot? (Anyone with the same mobo, RAM, and cooler can confirm?)
    2a. Can the PSU powers all of my components, including the OC CPU, with no problem? (I didn't do too much research on PSU and impulse bought this one because it was a deal. I've also sent in the rebate, so I can't return it. :( )
    2b. If the PSU die one day, will it kill all of my components? (The PSU box states that the PSU has "heavy-duty protection circuitry, over-voltage, over-current, over-power, and short circuit." So this should guarantee not killing my other components when it die, right?)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    1. It will be close. But you can always move the fan to the other side and use it as a pull
    2. Yes it will be ok
    2b There is always that chance. But Ive never seen this happen. In 20 years of many builds. I do mean many. One caught on fire one time but I was there to put it out. Don't worry you will be fine. If you live in a dry/cold enviroment ground yourself before you start handing those parts
    Teiji says thanks.
  3. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    just quickly looking at pics on the web it looks like cooler will be fine on the motherboard without blocking the ram

psu i think might be fine.

i dont see why it would kill all your parts.
    Teiji says thanks.
  4. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Worlds better PSU. They are a subsidiary of Enermax.

Get the 3570K, HT is not worth it.

Use the extra funds from that to get a GTX 560 TI.
  5. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    He already bought them.
  6. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Oh snap! Reading fml. :(
  7. Teiji New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd rather have it as push if possible for better temps (I read somewhere). Thanks for the input and reassurance. Now, I'm 99% at ease (1% left until I successfully build the PC).

Well, the more research I do, the more horrible stories I've read. With people saying that the PSU will take down your whole PC if it fail, that makes me think the chances of that happening is high and scares me, since I didn't get the high end PSU with 80+ Gold standard.

Thanks, but I figured I would benefit more with the 3770K because of hyperthreading, since Adobe Effects CS5.5 utilizes it and improves performance.
  8. epicfail

epicfail New Member

Thanks Received:
    ive never actually seen a computer completly die cuz of a psu, and ive been working in computers repairs for a while :p. but i guess its a possibility
    brandonwh64 says thanks.
  9. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    As far as PSU's go, you only hear the horror stories....because it's kinda boring reading page after page of "my PSU has been running fine for years and years"

Gold/Platinum ratings are really not necessary, a quality Bronze/Silver rated PSU similar to the one you bought will provide years of service..... main point is don't try to run a $2000 rig on a $25 PSU. Will it fail? Possibly. Is it definite? No. Even the highest rated/most expensive PSU can fail.

I don't know where you are from but check the power in your area. Some areas have unstable power (i.e. varying voltages, low/high voltages, surges and spikes, etc...) If this is an issue where you live, a quality UPS for your rig will add another layer of protection.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. Teiji New Member

Thanks Received:
    How do I check the power in my area? I do have a Cyberpower UPS that I bought back in the days, which has saved my PC from many power outages. Will this help with any unstable voltage?
  11. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Rating on that unit is too low to power a PC but it will provide some protection

Where do you live? USA (if so,what area?), EU,....
  12. Teiji New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I live in USA (Louisiana). So you mean my UPS can't power this PC I'm building? But isn't it just like a power surge with backup battery? What's going to happen if I try to power my PC, monitor, external HDD, etc through this UPS?

Edit: Nvm, I just found the manual for the Cyberpower UPS. It states that I should not exceed 1440VA. And for my model, VA = Watts x 1.67. So let's say my whole computer is 650W + 63W (my Catleap monitor) + ~30W (1 external HDD) + ~30W (2.1 speakers) = 773W x 1.67 = 1290VA. I think I should be ok.
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  13. Norton

Thanks Received:
    You may have the issues I mentioned if it's common for you to have power outages, brown outs, rolling blackouts, frequently dimming lights, etc in your area. As an example, several of the towns up in my area in the Northeast have issues with low voltages in the summer when the the population increases and everyone is running their AC. Low voltage increases amperage and can stress electronic components

As far as that UPS....

It will act as a surge supressor/power conditioner and will protect your components to a certain degree but not completely..... if you lose power it won't provide emergency/battery backup power to your PC (not enough watts/output) to allow you to continue to run your PC and shut it down.
    A proper sized UPS for your system would be in the 1000watt or so range. Just add up the rated watts of everything you intend to plug into it to determine the size.
    Teiji says thanks.
  14. Teiji New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not common for me to have power outages. Maybe 0-3 times a year. As for the UPS, I'll see what happen on the first power outage to determine if I'll buy a new, better UPS. I just spent over 1k on this new PC + monitor. I better go back into saving mode again.
  15. Norton

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you will be OK. If you know any IT people in your area you can check with them to see if they ever have problems regarding power and what they would recommend.

Enjoy your new rig :toast:
    Teiji says thanks.