1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Time OC, Did I do it right?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Canon1983, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Canon1983 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there, I'm new to the forum and have never overclocked anything before, I read a couple of threads and I think I managed to pull it off. :)

It's a i7 980x on Asus P6t V2 Deluxe

[​IMG]

My CPU Temp is at 38c I ran a bunch of heavy programs to see how high it would go and it caps at 44c. I read somewhere this CPU can handle 70c without a problem but I think i'll stay put for now.

It is air cooled, Corsair V8. It's been running now for about 2 hours, All seems well but I wanted to ask you guys your opinion.
  2. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    not bad not bad at all
    id run a stress test with intelburn test or OCCT linpack
    Canon1983 says thanks.
  3. Canon1983 New Member

Thanks Received:
    will do thanks for the advice.
  4. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    What are you voltages set at mainly your ram voltage pll voltage vdcc voltageect ect
    also go into your usercp and fill out your full system specs welcome to TPU
  5. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Decent overclock bud. Just see how long it goes like that for a while before you change any parameters. Nice cpu too!
  6. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    Nice OC. Yes, you can go higher if your memeory timings allow it. 4.5 to 4.7 gets to the extreme side and so would the cooling be needed too. 4.25Ghz is a nice touch for an OC to keep at. Going to 4.5 could be doable too for a long haul. Going above that can be a challenge and have risks.
  7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    I want to op to double check is vtt voltages
    copy and pasted from http://www.masterslair.com/vcore-vt...ned-core-i7-i5-i3/#vtt-aka-imc-qpivtt-qpidram
    Your DRAM voltage should never be more than 0.5 V above VTT, or it could cause system stability problems. Since the default VTT is 1.1 V, this means that your DRAM voltage shouldn’t be higher than 1.1 + 0.5 = 1.6 V–unless you also increase VTT. So if you’re using memory that has a default voltage of 1.65 V or you’ve overclocked to that amount, you should increase your VTT voltage to at least 1.65 – 0.5 = 1.15 V.

failure todo this could result in the imminent death of your cpu if you have 1.65v ram