1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Time PC Builder Looking For Some Help

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Lunaski, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Lunaski New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello Everyone!

I plan on building a computer myself but i dont have a clue where to start, So im looking for your help! :D So i plan to spend about 600 to 800 USD, but my budget MAY be SLIGHTLY flexable.

Im a pc gamer, So im definately looking for something that can hold its own when it comes to gaming and something would last that a while in terms of the hardware inside.

Thank you everyone for your help and your time and i look foward to your replies! :)

~Lunaski
  2. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    Depending on where your price point itself lies, I would recommend either an AMD A-series processor based PC, or an FX-4100.
  3. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Lunaski says thanks.
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Things to keep in mind is the balance between multiple cores and threads. I prefer cores...but 2 faster cores with extra threads may be fine.

But I prefer 4-8GB of medium speed memory, and a decent upper-mid range video card with at least 1Gb of onboard memory. If you were near KC, that deal Fits posted would be prime imho. If you want help finding good deals and great knowledge to back it up, listen to what Fits suggests. There are a TON of helpful members on this forum. Do some research, be more specific about what you want to run, how you want to run it, do you have a monitor, kb, mouse? speakers? headphones? online? offline? both? 1920x1080? 2560x1440? 1680x1050? The more you can provide the better.

Welcome to Techpowerup! :toast:
    Lunaski says thanks.
  5. Fitseries3

Fitseries3 Eleet Hardware Junkie

Thanks Received:
    8gb minimum on the ram.

ati 6 series or nvidia 5 series cards to keep up with todays games.

good psu is paramount.
  6. Vulpesveritas

Vulpesveritas

Thanks Received:
    Single 12v rail, at least 80+ rated for the PSU.
    4 or 8GB RAM
    Decent airflow in the case.

The rest is up to the exact price point.
  7. Lunaski New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Fits: yeah im located in california, unfortunately im not in KC area. i appreciate the info :)

@Kursa: Thanks. Right now im using a laptop given to me by my brother. But i do have a 17' lcd monitor and your basic pc speakers, keyboard and mouse But id like to upgrade all of those as well sometime in the future.
  8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    New? 2nd hand? Does it matter?
  9. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    It's been said multiple times, but again, the PSU is the foundation of your system. Don't cheap out on that component.

Since you said that you're a first time builder, pay attention to the socket type for the processor you choose. Not all motherboards will be compatible. When you choose your motherboard go check the manufacturer's website for a QVL (Qualified Vendor List) to make sure the RAM you buy will be compatible as well. It'll save you some headaches for your first build.

After saying all of that, don't be afraid to ask questions here. There are no stupid questions.

Welcome to TPU!
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Heres a Build that meets your budget and can push your current monitor just fine, plus leaves plenty of room for future upgrades without having to swap the motherboard or really even the CPU for that matter.

Attached Files:

11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    He hasn't said his budget?

First off for some instructional video. So you dont make simple mistakes. Then come up with a budget and list what you have as in parts (17' lcd monitor) and what you want this PC to do (very important)

Newegg has some videos you should watch on this page (youtube) PC Components, Computer Parts, Computer Hardware Its not too boring and the build there doing is in the $800 to $1500 range Wouldn't it be nice to work at Newegg and build picking from there parts
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  12. xxdozer32

xxdozer32 New Member

Thanks Received:
    where in California are you located? if your in Socal somewhere in the OC area there are 2 Frys and and Microcenter in the area, you can always check out the deals they have going on as i did, i only spent about 450 on my build, works great on BF3 although i wish i had the money for a 5 series.
  13. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking along the lines of a i3 2100 with a P67 board to get IvyBridge in the future, since that i3 consistently outperforms the Phenom II in gaming?
    Jetster says thanks.
  14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Read the entire thread...
    I can't agree with this statement enough.
    JrRacinFan says thanks.