1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

first time w/c questions

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by DTV DRAGON, Apr 15, 2010.

1. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys I have all my parts for my w/c setup on there way, this is what i have so far
    Swiftech Microres (Revision 1) - WATER RESIVIOR
    DANGERDEN PUMP
    D-TEK FUSION V2.0 or
    MC-TDX DangerDen
    rad
    still need flow meter or gauge
    but i have a few questions
    1-type of coolant to use-can i use 50/50 automotive antifreeze?
    2-any particular order this should be hooked up in?
    3-wich block would you recommend i use of the two i have comming the dangerden or d-tek?
    4-any other comments or suggestions that I might find helpful
  2. mhadina

Thanks Received:
    1 - 90% destiled water 10% antifreez
    2 - no except for your securtiy - put a res before a pump
    3 - I don't know
    4 - Check tutorials - I recommend dazmode at youtube
    DTV DRAGON says thanks.
  3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Don't even bother with coolant, it just mucks up the insides. Use straight distilled.

2. Radiator--->Block--->Res.--->Pump

3. Dtek V2., The Dangerden block uses acrylic. I don't like acrylic.

4. Don't bother using any additives or things like silver. Copper is a natural bioticide anyways, it's all crap to get you to spend more money. All of the loops I've run straight distilled in come apart clean and work well.
    DTV DRAGON says thanks.
  4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Coolant? Distilled water + a piece of silver to keep those nasty bacteria's away.
    2. Always reservoir behind pump, otherwise all the force by the pump goes to waste (but I think you know about that)
    3. Dunno
    4. Look at what others have done to give you a nice idea.
    DTV DRAGON says thanks.
  5. Kitkat New Member

Thanks Received:
    as with any first time TAKE your time... dont rush ;)
    DTV DRAGON says thanks.
  6. wrathchild_67

Thanks Received:
    1.) I would say 100% distilled water plus silver coil or 2-3 drops PT Nuke additive. Adding anything else will lead to gunk in your loop and you will see this in your reservoir.

2.) There are some arguments about order, but ideally the res should be the highest point in the loop to facilitate bleeding. It does not have to be the highest point, but your initial air bleeding will occur faster if it is. I do not recommend having the pump outlet going directly into a waterblock, rather have the pump outlet going into the rad so any heat the pump adds to the water passing through is dissipated in the rad. The output of the rad should go into the first waterblock (typically the CPU block).

3.) I don't have experience with either.

4.)
    You don't really need a flow meter unless you're using highly restrictive blocks and want to make sure they're not killing your flow. I've never used one even when I had restrictive stuff in my loop. So long as your pump has great head, and you're not doing anything out of the norm in the loop, you don't need a flow meter. Every item added into the loop slows down flow.

I also recommend 7/16" tubing since it eliminates the need for clamps or compression fittings and provides just as much flow as 1/2" ID tubing.
    DTV DRAGON says thanks.
  7. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    great points guys!!, dont know if Iam going to live to regret this idea..lol but Ive always wanted to try it. I like th idea of some sort of dye in the water like uv dye cause i have uv cathodes and spot lights, but that stuff is so expensive from what ive seen and i think i realy dont need that much. If anyone has some for sale p/m me...ill post it in my for sale thread as well
    wrathchild_67 says thanks.