1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Time WC Advice

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Maban, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    I am expecting some money next month and would like to do full system watercooling. CPU, NB, MOSFET, 2x GPU. I was planning on starting with the Swiftech H20-320. Are there alternatives that would be cheaper, better suited to my needs, better value, etc.?

Assume I'm asking all the other first time questions.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That Swiftech kit is a good kit but for the same price you can go custom and get a better radiator and pump. Also, that swiftech kit will never cope with all those waterblocks. The setup I put together should, though in this case something like a MCP655 pump might be ideal. I kept the CPU block on the cheaper side but this one particularly performs well. Also, within the price of that kit you can have nice, clean compression fittings to go with it:

[​IMG]
  3. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    My fault. I didn't even read the full sentence properly. No sleep does that to me. I thought this was for a cpu loop only.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  4. sy5tem

Thanks Received:
    i think XSPC RASA is also a really good starting kit (its what i used 2 month ago to begin with) i am able to keep CPU and GPU cool ...
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If he's going to add all those blocks, neither of those systems would be worthwhile.
  6. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This. Those are both good beginner kits, but neither will handle that many blocks. You'd simply be wasting your money.
  7. mm67

Thanks Received:
    Which Swiftech H20-320 kit are we talking about, Ultima or Edge. MCP35X pump which comes with Edge kit should be able to handle those blocks. A single 360 radiator might be a bit too little for cpu & 2 gpu's unless OP is willing to use some loud fans.
  8. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

If this is truly your first go at H2o, keep it simple; less can go wrong and you will pick-up- some experience along the way

Lot's of tutorials on youtube, a good starting point is a simple T line CPU loop; T line acts as your reservoir (helps to keep the noise down) and will help keep the cost down.

nb: something that you need to be aware of when starting out, it is not maintenance free and can cost a lot of money in tubing and coolent. You will also be invalidating you warrenty for any parts that you fit water blocks on.

I appreaciate erocker has suggested using compression fittings as they do look great, however as this will be your first build you may be better off with EK barbs & hose clips. If you do use compression fittings make sure the tubing you use has the correct wall thickness

Be aware the only things that are an investment and are reusable in the long term is your Rad (get a tripple 120, these fit in or on most cases and you will not have to have the fan's at full blast to keep the loop cool) and fittings, Tip, if you use 1/2'' tubing get Tygon, it is slightly more expensive but very flexible and dose not attract algae quite so much as it is laboratory grade

take you time, do not hurry when assembling your PC

I wish you all the best

Law-II
  9. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    As long as your getting 1.5gpm with your setup, your good. There are plenty of low restriction blocks out there, you can try estimating the flow with the data you can get online.

[​IMG]
  10. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    So what I'm getting from this so far is to go completely custom loop. Obviously I'm going to need at least a 360 rad. Is that EK-CoolStream XT one of those thicker rads? Should I get another 120/140?

So I figure Sandy is a much better investment. Thanks anyways guys.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011