1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashing BIOS to a corrupt GTX260 (Last try to get it working)

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by >>PhoeniX<<, Jan 5, 2011.

1. >>PhoeniX<<

>>PhoeniX<< New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I have a corrupt/non working Sparkle GTX260 and I have a bios .Bin file I got off of this website. I need to find a way to install it on the 260 as my last ditch attempt before I get rid of it. Thanks for any answers :) <<LB>>

2. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
    I believe this post on OCN will help you out. You'll need another card to see what you're doing, and you'll have to configure it so it will flash the 260 and not the stand-in. I'm not sure how to do that though.

3. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    you could always blind flash it by using a bootable usb drive and make a .bat file with the commands u need.

4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    got a mobo with onboard? you can force onboard to work with PEG installed

5. >>PhoeniX<<

>>PhoeniX<< New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an onboard but I only know how to build them, I am not good with the "Guts" of a comp.

6. neatfeatguy

neatfeatguy

Thanks Received:
    I was in a similar position a while back.

Picked up a couple GTX 280s (new) at a steal of a price. They're made by BFG (this was before they announced they were closing doors).

I got them, installed them and they were working....but one had a bad fan and it made an awful high pitched sound when it kicked into 3D for gaming.....I also had the random crashes while using the card.

So I contacted BFG, setup an RMA; in return I got a GTX 285 (ok, so now I can't run SLI...but I can live with using the GTX 285 and I could sell off the GTX 280 I still had). To my surprise, the GTX 285 I was sent, didn't work. It crashed every time I tried to run a game or it just wouldn't take the drivers I was trying to install.

By this time, BFG announced they were no longer doing RMAs...so now I'm stuck with a GTX 285 that didn't work. So I did something drastic, I did a bit of research, but not finding anything on what I wanted to do, I figured I had nothing to lose.

I made a copy of my good GTX 280's BIOS, flashed the bad GTX 285 with it and to my surprise, it took the BIOS and is working. I can run both cards in SLI.

Although, I think the flashed GTX 285 is starting to crap out on me....I get random BSOD when gaming - just like the ones I got before I flashed it. I've been running these two cards in SLI for a year now. Hopefully they'll keep going for a long while; only time will tell.

So if your'e down to flashing your GTX 260 as a last resort, I hope it works for you.