• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashing BIOS to different PCB cards

shogun

Hi, I have a SLI setup 9800gtx+ cards. One's from Asus and the other one is from PNY. They run at 1.2V and 1.3V, which makes them go very very hot (temperatures are also very high at south Spain where I live). The Asus ones reaches 74/75ºC very easily when full charge and the PNY goes till 83ºC. To solve the high temps problem I have thought about flashing them with the EVGA SC BIOS (I can't find the SSC one) or the MSI OC BIOS, both running at 1.15V. The problem is that my cards have different PCBs. The Asus is the first revision with the large PCB and two 6-pin power connectors (Device ID 0612), and the PNY has the new and smaller PCB with just one 6-pin power connector, similar to the GTS250 and with Device ID 0613.

Then, my question is: can I flash both cards with the same BIOS or will one of the cards break down? PCB is different, but so are different GTS250 and 9800gtx+ PCBs and I have read about many people flashing GTS250 BIOS to 9800gtx+ cards in order to get SLI working, so I'm not sure about what to do.

Secondly, if I finally decide to flash them, do I need to flash each card separately or can I flash both cards while in SLI mode?

Last edited by a moderator:

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Never a good idea flashing BIOS's from other cards and even more so when they are different PCB/models.
A better idea would be to dump the BIOS's from your cards and edit them to the clocks/voltages you are after then reflash the cards. Then you are still using the cards original BIOS.

shogun

Well, I wanted to use an official manufacturer BIOS because they're specs are supposed to be tested and stable, since I can't test the OC with the different voltages (my card generation has voltage control locked). And with those temps, I want to flash them for sure. I've been taking a look at the dumped BIOS and while Asus says the risk temperature is 82ºC, PNY says it's 105ºC :eek:

Well, that said, should I understand that the best then is to copy the, for example, EVGA specs to the dumped BIOS and flash separately each modified BIOS in it's respective card?

Last edited by a moderator: