1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashing Bios

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by FujiwaraTakumi, Feb 8, 2007.

1. FujiwaraTakumi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would it be okay if I flashed my bios with a new version with my system as is? Like, I wouldn't need to reformat or anything right? I've had poor luck with things like this in the past, so would it be alright if I disconnected my hard drives before I flashed the bios?

2. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, you can flash the motherboard BIOS if there is something wrong. Generally unless something dosen't work, a BIOS update wont do much.

You don't need to reformat your drive after a BIOS flash.

I am sure it would be alright to disconnect the HD, but there is no point in it, and BIOS flash doesn't mess with the hard drive.

3. Jadawin

Jadawin

Thanks Received:
    But it's recommened to load the BIOS defaults after a flash, to clear the CMOS of any old data that may confuse the new one. And this in turn can lead in some settings being different than before (boot order, activated or deactivated onboard things etc.). So it's good to keep that in mind and probably make a note of those things to be on the safe side.