• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashing my r9 290x

Bion1985

I have a Diamond r9 290x and have been experiencing some black screening in games. One thing I have found that was suggested to try was a bios flash. Although when I look for Diamond r9 290x under the bios list on the site I do not see my current bios listed under the Diamond card. I did find it on the list under XFX and Sapphire thought. I was wondering what would be the most current bios and best bios for my flash to use on this card. Here is a link to my exact card, to me it seems like few other manufactures bios are cross card compatible and/or more stable than others.

My card: http://www.diamondmm.com/r9290xd54g-diamond-amd-r9290x-memory-graphics-video-card.html

GPU-Z screen:

Other system specs: i5 4790x 4.5ghz, Asus z97-A 3.1 16gb 2133 ram, 850w OCZ psu.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
You should attempt bumping up your voltage by about 25mv before you flash your bios. to see if that stabilizes your system.

Bion1985

Are you talking about the voltage setting in the AMD overdrive? Other than that I don't have too much experience doing ocing or any voltage adjustments on a gpu.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Are you talking about the voltage setting in the AMD overdrive? Other than that I don't have too much experience doing ocing or any voltage adjustments on a gpu.

If thats the case then jumping into bios flashing is a terrible idea you are trying to run when all you know is crawl. Download sapphire trixx and look at some overclocking guides. they generally cover voltage bumping.

Bion1985

Well I've flashed before using atiwinflash but just never did to much gpu ocing. I'm just trying to figure out why this cars is acting up. Basically so far I have had the most success running the omega driver seems like when I do beta one it does it more frequently. Last night I had omega driver and was playing close to 2hrs no trouble today I tried the beta again and maybe got 30 minutes. Just odd cause I know many others have success with the betas.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Well I've flashed before using atiwinflash but just never did to much gpu ocing. I'm just trying to figure out why this cars is acting up. Basically so far I have had the most success running the omega driver seems like when I do beta one it does it more frequently. Last night I had omega driver and was playing close to 2hrs no trouble today I tried the beta again and maybe got 30 minutes. Just odd cause I know many others have success with the betas.

I certainly wont give you a lesson. atiwinflash is the express lane to bricking. The fact you have managed to do it really means nothing at this point. You are blindly searching for a bios that will stop a problem you have not yet diagnosed. You need to search and understand the issue and in ALL cases understand what a BIOS will DO for your system. In this case I will shed some light on your issue.

In general with the R9 series black screen issues are usually caused by low voltage which leads to unstable clocks. When the GPU load changes and the performance profile adjusts the voltage is usually too low on idle or load during the transition and the card stops responding. Driver auto restarts fix this issue but the problem remains. HOWEVER, This could be a sign of a bigger problem or failure. To decide whether or not a new BIOS is even needed you must first try all software methods of making your card stable. If you manage this it will tell you what to look for in your bios to make the change more permanent if you desire.

Though profiles can be saved in todays software to make sure the proper voltages and clocks are applied at boot up some people usually people with far more experience than yourself will flash a bios for a more permanent solution. Now if you spent 10min googling your particular issue and ignored the posts explaining things you didnt understand you would realise that most of the time this issue is low voltage related as I have stated before. In which case the best course of action to MAKE SURE it really is a problem is to download an overclocking utility that usually provides voltage modification and bumping the voltage up a little bit WITHOUT adjusting the clocks to see if it fixes the problem. I imagine I dont need to explain why you wouldnt change both the clocks and the voltage at the same time so I wont.

Now spending another 5min googleing at this point for 15min in total we see that the best and most commonly used OC software for GPUs is

Sapphire Trixx

and

MSI after burner.

we also see that most people start to bump voltage in 25mv increments. not to much not too little.

of course there are instructions about this as well had anyone spend a little time doing there own research instead of reading forum comments on IGN or some such.