• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashing XFX HD5970 to Sapphire Bios?

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Force Flash? I've already updated the bios, I got really buggy fan control plus my games run like shit!

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
Have you updated your motherboard bios recently, or do they have a newer version available than what you have right now? I went through a fairly similar situation with my 5770 recently. Finally I updated the motherboard drivers to the latest ones again, and everything went back to normal and ran perfectly.

I tested 4 different motherboard bios drivers just to be 100000% sure that was the issue and not anything else. No matter what I did, unless I had the two newest ones (one is just a beta) the card would not run properly period.

Besides the 4 motherboard bios versions I also tried 3 different video driver packages, and used all of those in combination with the different motherboard bios versions (yes it took AGES, but I had to be 100% certain). In the end, if I wanted the video card to function properly I had to go with the newest motherboard bios version (or the even newer beta)....period.

The bad symptoms I was getting are as follows (not all at once, and some drivers would have some and not others)...

1. Watching ANY form of streaming flash video such as justin.tv would have lag to it, as soon as you go full screen the driver would fail within 5 seconds and cause a slight hang up before recovering. Once recovered the entire pc performance was horrible even at 3.8Ghz or higher...and I mean HORRIBLE like having lag+stutters just to get the taskbar up.

2. The display driver would fail while loading windows right after the welcome screen.

3. The card would show 99% usage in CCC (100% in GPU-Z) and would NOT clock down from default 850Mhz/1200Mhz clock to the powerplay clocks of 157Mhz/300Mhz. If you tried to do it manually it would register for roughly 2 seconds before reverting to 100% usage and high clocks. Trying to do anything graphical at that point would result in....well you get the idea. ;)

4. If the system was running 'normal' for everything else and all was 'fixed' you could load up a game (for instance Crysis Warhead) and it would play fairly normally except...it would hiccup/stutter every few seconds making play of course very difficult. If you disabled Vsync it would then stop doing it every few seconds and make things appear to be running at say 20-25fps when the counter actually says 70-85fps. Hard to describe, but just imagine a game with a perfect frame rate...yet to your eyes it's stuttering every second making it feel more like 20-25fps.

I'm sure there were more things, but that will give you a good idea of what I mean. I don't know if you've checked, but it's worth a shot to check it out and see what happens for you. All is well now for me as long as I stay on one of these two newer motherboard drivers. (new as in November and December '09 versions, any version older than the card results in bad performance)

Kei

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD
Power Supply 120w Power Brick
Mouse Logitech G203 Lightsync
Keyboard Atrix RGB Slim Keyboard
VR HMD ( ◔ ʖ̯ ◔ )
Software Windows 10 Home 64bit
Benchmark Scores Don't do them anymore.
Have you updated your motherboard bios recently, or do they have a newer version available than what you have right now? I went through a fairly similar situation with my 5770 recently. Finally I updated the motherboard drivers to the latest ones again, and everything went back to normal and ran perfectly.

I tested 4 different motherboard bios drivers just to be 100000% sure that was the issue and not anything else. No matter what I did, unless I had the two newest ones (one is just a beta) the card would not run properly period.

Besides the 4 motherboard bios versions I also tried 3 different video driver packages, and used all of those in combination with the different motherboard bios versions (yes it took AGES, but I had to be 100% certain). In the end, if I wanted the video card to function properly I had to go with the newest motherboard bios version (or the even newer beta)....period.

The bad symptoms I was getting are as follows (not all at once, and some drivers would have some and not others)...

1. Watching ANY form of streaming flash video such as justin.tv would have lag to it, as soon as you go full screen the driver would fail within 5 seconds and cause a slight hang up before recovering. Once recovered the entire pc performance was horrible even at 3.8Ghz or higher...and I mean HORRIBLE like having lag+stutters just to get the taskbar up.

2. The display driver would fail while loading windows right after the welcome screen.

3. The card would show 99% usage in CCC (100% in GPU-Z) and would NOT clock down from default 850Mhz/1200Mhz clock to the powerplay clocks of 157Mhz/300Mhz. If you tried to do it manually it would register for roughly 2 seconds before reverting to 100% usage and high clocks. Trying to do anything graphical at that point would result in....well you get the idea. ;)

4. If the system was running 'normal' for everything else and all was 'fixed' you could load up a game (for instance Crysis Warhead) and it would play fairly normally except...it would hiccup/stutter every few seconds making play of course very difficult. If you disabled Vsync it would then stop doing it every few seconds and make things appear to be running at say 20-25fps when the counter actually says 70-85fps. Hard to describe, but just imagine a game with a perfect frame rate...yet to your eyes it's stuttering every second making it feel more like 20-25fps.

I'm sure there were more things, but that will give you a good idea of what I mean. I don't know if you've checked, but it's worth a shot to check it out and see what happens for you. All is well now for me as long as I stay on one of these two newer motherboard drivers. (new as in November and December '09 versions, any version older than the card results in bad performance)

Kei

Thanx for the info, but yeah I have updated both my motherboard bios and video card bios with the latest ones, I got the 9.12 hotfix drivers and I've also updated to the latest chipset drivers as well, all I can say that this card still has issues but not as much when I first got it, I fell like this card just needs a simple repair cause i know its not a software issue, its a hardware issue, I can just tell.

Reactions: Kei